View Full Version : Do I have learning disabilities?

mccinny
11-12-07, 01:11 PM
When I was tested for ADD the psychologist noted I may have a mild Math learning disability. I thought it was certainly possibly but, it could be that I'm not wired mathematically, haven't had a good background in it, and rarely practice it. Since I've tried to take pre-college Algebra classes and dropped both times. I can't seem to focus, I never practice the problems or do the homework. But, the other thing that makes me wonder is, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around some of the concepts.

The teacher might mention a formula or two and I will catch on fine. Then the next thing and the solution doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if it's just the way my mind works and I have to look at things from a certain point of view to understand them or if I truly have problems with the concepts from a learning angle?

Other things have bothered me. I seem to have a horrible base knowledge. I'm 34. While some things I do fairly well at, much of what an average person should know I have no knowledge of this. I don't understand why. Even some things I enjoy I can't really recall much about. I feel like it never really goes in for some reason.

I'm terrified at my age of having to start over. And can I even begin to build a confident base knowledge this late in life? It's pretty discouraging. I feel like I've been bs'ing my way through life until now. I feel inferior to everybody else. I don't know how to approach even the possibilities!

Crazy~Feet
11-12-07, 02:15 PM
SYMPTOMS of DYSCALCULIA

Students might have spatial problems and difficulty aligning numbers into proper columns.
Have trouble with sequence, including left/right orientation. They will read numbers out of sequence and sometimes do operations backwards. They also become confused on the sequences of past or future events
Students typically have problems with mathematics concepts in word problems, confuse similar numbers (e.g., 7 and 9; 3 and 8), and have difficulty using a calculator.
It is common for students with dyscalculia to have normal or accelerated language acquisition: verbal, reading, writing, and good visual memory for the printed word. They are typically good in the areas of science (until a level requiring higher mathematics skills is reached), geometry (figures with logic not formulas), and creative arts.
Students have difficulty with the abstract concepts of time and direction (e.g. inability to recall schedules, and unable to keep track of time). They may be chronically late.
Mistaken recollection of names. Poor name/face retrieval. Substitute names beginning with same letter.
Students have inconsistent results in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Students have poor mental mathematics ability. They are poor with money and credit and cannot do financial planning or budgeting (e.g. balancing a checkbook). Short term, not long term financial thinking. May have fear of money and cash transactions. May be unable to mentally figure change due back, the amounts to pay for tips, taxes, etc
When writing, reading and recalling numbers, these common mistakes are made: number additions, substitutions, transpositions, omissions, and reversals.
Inability to grasp and remember mathematics concepts, rules formulas, sequence (order of operations), and basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts. Poor long-term memory (retention & retrieval) of concept mastery. Students understand material as they are being shown it, but when they must retrieve the information they become confused and are unable to do so. They may be able to perform mathematics operations one day, but draw a blank the next. May be able to do book work but can fail all tests and quizzes.
May be unable to comprehend or "picture" mechanical processes. Lack "big picture/ whole picture" thinking. Poor ability to "visualize or picture" the location of the numbers on the face of a clock, the geographical locations of states, countries, oceans, streets, etc.
Poor memory for the "layout" of things. Gets lost or disoriented easily. May have a poor sense of direction, lose things often, and seem absent minded. May have difficulty grasping concepts of formal music education. Difficulty sight-reading music, learning fingering to play an instrument, etc.
May have poor athletic coordination, difficulty keeping up with rapidly changing physical directions like in aerobic, dance, and exercise classes. Difficulty remembering dance step sequences rules for playing sports.
Difficulty keeping score during games, or difficulty remembering how to keep score in games, like bowling, etc. Often loses track of whose turn it is during games, like cards and board games. Limited strategic planning ability for games, like chess.

Anything up there ring a bell for you, Mccinney? :)

mccinny
11-13-07, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I've actually seen that one before. Most of them apply but, some I have no problem with. Do you know of any good resources about approaches in dealing with this? Good Research? Thanks.

D

Crazy~Feet
11-13-07, 04:08 AM
Erm actually? I never looked too hard beyond the few depressing bits that said early intervention was best and I am over 40 :(.

I do not have a lot of those symptoms myself, but I did once find a self-test screener and of those presented markers? I scored 18 out of 22 :o It's me, alright.

I am too tired to root that up for you right now, but I would very much like to. Please shoot me a PM to remind me? I will gladly find it when I am better rested. :)

mccinny
11-13-07, 02:12 PM
I guess I can get off my lazy duff and find some myself. Just thought some of you might know about good resources off-hand. Thanks.

playhero
12-07-07, 04:15 AM
If a porfesonal who has meet with you in real life thinks it possible, no one on the internet will be able to tell you better then that.

meadd823
12-07-07, 04:53 AM
Do you know of any good resources about approaches in dealing with this? Good Research? Thanks.

These people normally have good resources and information

LD on-line (http://www.ldonline.org/indepth)

Developmental dyscalculia (http://www.unicog.org/main/pages.php?page=Dyscalculia)

Hope this helps.