View Full Version : Panorama BBC 1 now

SparklySarah
11-12-07, 04:35 PM
Anyone watching Panorama? It's on kids with ADHD and medications apparently not working...

headsamess
11-12-07, 06:13 PM
yeah saw it. I can't help thinking whilst there maybe some truth in it, was it more of a government information film to tempt parents and others away from medication to reduce the load on the NHS? It wouldn't surprise me and considering many GPs shrug off ADHD and even stress, its just adding to a crumbling health service.

unfinshed1
11-12-07, 08:17 PM
I think it presented things in a typically black and white way. "Medication is best, no counselling is best"

The young man they focussed on obviously had some real problems and although they may have been routed in ADHD it wasn't just ADHD making him act that way, councelling would clearly have helped, perhaps better parents too.

jess
11-13-07, 10:59 AM
As I recall the gent representing the nice guidelines was promoting a multi modal approach to adhd.

I thought the interviewer asked rather leading questions to the boy rather than interview him at times.

I think that the way the programme was portrayed will only aid in increasing the stigma attached to medicating children and increase the difficulties faced by those who seek help from certain professionals.

How a balanced portrail can be given to the public from the dificulties of the two youngsters shown is beyond me. Why were there no interviews from psychiatrists at the maudsley hospital for instance included ??

It is know that some medications do not suit some folk but others do. Also why was it not documented the ADHD rarely stands alone and that many of those with adhd will have comorbid dissorders as well.

This young boy clearly was not a case of solo adhd and that other issues contributed to his difficulties.

I could continue for longer on this . I only hope that medical professionals at the top end who diagnose and deal with thes issues on a daily basis will speak up and give a balanced and uncut version of ADHD and other linked umbrella disorders.

jess

kilted_scotsman
11-13-07, 12:01 PM
Interestingly the BBC news website had an article leading in to the prog. It made the "most popular stories" link for a bit.

I looked at the underlying research from Uni of Buffalo and it was interesting. The research indicated that meds were beter than therapy for the first 12 months then the therapy based approach caught up and was the two were not significantly different in outcome by 36 months.

given the state of our Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) and the huge waits for NHS mental health referral its hardly surprising that pharmaceuticals are the first option. Only those with access to significant resources can access good regular psychotherapy.

THe environment we live in has a HUGE effect on our responses to ADD/ADHD and this means that the home and parenting styles are critical.....but traditional therapy rarely takes in the parents or siblings and parents rarely think its their problem and devolve all the issues onto the kids.....this is interesting as the parents should automatically be told that ADD/ADHD is genetic and consequently they're behaviour is likely to be ADHD/ADD influenced. Do they take the pills......nope!

kilt

PinkBeauty
11-13-07, 04:33 PM
Read and watch this. Its from one of the quoted Drs, well misquoted anyway!
http://www.addadhdblog.com/misquoted-on-the-news/ (http://www.addadhdblog.com/misquoted-on-the-news/)

SparklySarah
11-14-07, 08:49 AM
I've not had time to post properly on this but just saw this article on MSN - it's made me both sad and mad: http://news.uk.msn.com/high-on-life.aspx

Dr Baughman goes on about not finding any evidence of disease in ADHD kids - that's probably because it isn't a disease!!!

ozchris
11-14-07, 05:28 PM
I've not had time to post properly on this but just saw this article on MSN - it's made me both sad and mad: http://news.uk.msn.com/high-on-life.aspx

Dr Baughman goes on about not finding any evidence of disease in ADHD kids - that's probably because it isn't a disease!!!
what's up with that picture? a boy on a a trampoline with a goat?

No wonder the public are confused..not sure what that has to do with ADD

Ariosto
11-15-07, 02:05 PM
Here is a link to an interview with Baughman. Read the box to the right of the interview and see which group he belongs to, because that explains a lot:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/medicating/interviews/baughman.html.

SparklySarah
11-18-07, 08:29 AM
ehhhh....you're right, that does explain a lot. I'm just reading the article and feel the need to point out that both my upbringing and education were more than optimal. It's not even that he's saying that too many kids are diagnosed when their symptoms could be caused by poor parenting/schooling - he seems to think that ALL ADHD cases are down to this, which is complete b*llocks. It also seems to be sticking all ADHD kids into the stereotypical hyperactive/badly behaved category by saying this. To paraphrase, "oh, these kids have bad parents and teachers who obviously can't cope, that's why they act up and dont do any work". What about when they really really want to do well, but can't? What about the quiet, inattentive types who keep their noses clean but can't focus or organise themselves to save their lives?? (sorry, I'm probably stereotyping a bit but I hope you catch my drift). What about the adults who are still unable to focus and self-regulate, despite a desperate desire and need to do so? What about those who may be classed as having hyperactive tendancies, not because they bounce off the walls but constantly fidget (i.e. crack knuckles, pull hair, tap a foot, shake their legs etc) - how on earth would any of that have to do with poor parenting or bad schooling????

By his standards, all of the above should be able to 'snap out of it' or take control 'if they really wanted to', yet we all know that that isn't the case, and it's sure not for a lack of want!