View Full Version : 7 Sunrise story coming up for Qld'ers and WA'ers in Australia

goughy
11-12-07, 04:57 PM
There is a story about ht e effectiveness (or lack there of) of ADHD drugs in treating children. It's airing on 7 Sunrise after 7am this morning, so those of you in Queensland and Western Australia will just be able to catch it, if you see this in time that is. Sorry 'bout the late notice, but I only just saw the announcement

Crazygirl79
11-13-07, 01:07 AM
I'm originally from QLD but I'm not living there at the moment....so I'll have to chat to Mum about it.

Thanks though.

Selena

~boots~
11-13-07, 02:15 AM
I saw it...same old same old...
they have *discovered* adhd meds work in the short term, but no in the long run!!

I was like "duh!!..since they are short acting meds, and ADHD doesn't just go away after our teens...or course they don't work in the long term"

It was more like should we medicate behavioural problems, or try new courses for parents...
What about us without behaviour problems I wanted to YELL at the tv!!!

Gentoo
11-13-07, 02:33 AM
I watched it and was very offended. Again the media portrayed us as violent, bad kids. Just because kids with ADHD are more likely to misbehave because of their daily frustrations, does not even mean that they make up a measurable percentage of those of us who have ADHD!

A boy screamed at his parents, slammed the door and then started bashing his head against the wall. That does NOT reflect me or any ADHD kids I've ever met!

Shirl
11-13-07, 03:02 AM
My DH just told me via MSN Live about this. It is just so typical and wrong - ain't it! They all should have to walk a mile in our shoes! So easy to judge not to mention all the conflicting media. No wonder no one knows what to think / believe and then we all get the negative bad wrap. I will see if I can get a look at it later tonight no doubt there will be re-runs for all to see....

Hang in there everyone!

:) :) :)

Shirl

goughy
11-13-07, 06:22 AM
I haven't watched it yet - I taped it. Bit tired of the typical aussie 'bad kid' thing. I don't know many with adhd at all, infact only one friends son. He's hypo but not a bad kid. Just kind of running on a red cordial drip!

Heck, I was the most obedient quietest of kids in some ways. Rarely in detention, never in fights etc. Stereotypes just suck...

Gentoo
11-13-07, 06:52 AM
Ok well I am loud and hyper but I know how to behave and I rarely get into trouble. If I can't calm myself down then I know how to control myself and divert my extra energy. I know that when I'm feeling hyper I need to make sure I think before I say something and that I don't get in people's faces too much because I know it would annoy them seeing me bounce on top of them :P. I also know that being hyper is a time for thinking because it means that my brain is full of energy and not enough stimulation so I like to run around until I'm ready to sit down and then I read Wikipedia or something until the burst of clear thinking and hyperfocus runs out.

~boots~
11-13-07, 06:54 AM
Ok well I am loud and hyper but I know how to behave and I rarely get into trouble. If I can't calm myself down then I know how to control myself and divert my extra energy. I know that when I'm feeling hyper I need to make sure I think before I say something and that I don't get in people's faces too much because I know it would annoy them seeing me bounce on top of them :P. I also know that being hyper is a time for thinking because it means that my brain is full of energy and not enough stimulation so I like to run around until I'm ready to sit down and then I read Wikipedia or something until the burst of clear thinking and hyperfocus runs out.well said..exactly what I was thinking :-)

I would NEVER EVER in a million years act like that kid on TV..My MUM would KILL me....

goughy
11-13-07, 03:56 PM
Finally watched it. Scare mongering. Was a useless story with the exception of causeing more fear in the community of people with adhd.

Do people with adhd really act like that? I don't know many with adhd (except here) but none of them behave in a way that kid does! Yelling, screaming, banging walls and doors, almost violent you could say!

I have wondered if it's overdiagnosed these days; if every 'bad' kid is considered to have adhd? Especially in australia where paeditricians can make the diagnosis and prescribe medication for those nder 18 years of age, rather than seeing a psychiatrist! I don't know; but is that level of anger and frustration symptomatic of adhd sufferers or other disorders? I was nothing like that kid was. And even today I think my diagnosis would have been missed as a kid.

I don't know.... I'm rambling now. I'm not ashamed of myself, but the more I see that stuff the less I want people to know about me 'cause of the missconception they will have. And many wouldn't believe it 'cause I'm nothing, nothing like the stereotype that is out there. Why don't some of the groups actually involved with adhd get interviewed instead of the one bad kids parents, the doctor who thinks we're (royal we) doing it wrong, and the schools who label every trouble kid!!!!!!!!!!!

And you never see a story showing a girl who has adhd, like they don't exhist.

danf
11-13-07, 07:33 PM
I watched it and got very annoyed with how they portrayed things. I couldn't function without my medication (I was unmedicated up to age 21, I'm 25 now).

Medication is the best option we have right now. Coaching and diet can only go so far.

The story had undertones of "well, medication is useless, so everyone should stop taking it". Bloody idiots. Why couldn't they talk to some adults with ADHD ?

~boots~
11-13-07, 10:13 PM
. Why couldn't they talk to some adults with ADHD ? Actually, i rememebr someone from here, from OZ was invited to tell their side of the story a while back..anyone remember who that was???

Gentoo
11-14-07, 02:09 AM
If I was put on TV to talk about my ADHD I'd make sure I do everything I can to remove the stereotype but also talk about what ADHD is to us and not what it looks like to others. IE; - can't focus. We all know that isn't true. We can focus and in fact we have a very good attention span. We just need a lot of stimulation and if things are boring they don't stimulate us enough so we are succeptable to be stimulated by more interesting things. If we find something interesting, though, we can focus better than others. It is the same with every symptom of ADHD. It seems like something that happens to everyone at some stage, but they don't realise how frequently it happens to us and how hard it makes it for us to function in a world designed for people who think differently to us. They also think that ADHD is all bad when it isn't. We have some advantages over others and need to be acknowledged for them.

aloha1983
05-05-08, 12:08 AM
Hey everyone just an update on this: in the next 6 months I would like to go on TV/ magazines and share my experiences. Would anyone else be keen to do the same? I figure the more of us the better.

hyper_guy
05-05-08, 08:20 AM
I'd be up for that, the more the better to break this ridiulous stereotypes of how ADD/ADHD presents. Unfortunately for these 'out of control' kids that current affair programs love to show the country as 'typical' ADHD sufferers, in many cases these poor kids have much deeper underlying problems contributing to their behavior. I have lived the life for many years as one of those kids who just happened to also have ADHD. I often wonder which come first, like the chicken or the egg?!?!?