View Full Version : wallpaper

Lady Lark
11-13-07, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know how to get wallpaper off without damamging the wall? We have a wallpaper border that we need to remove and I don't want to have to redo the wall texture (if I can help it) after we get it off.

kilted_scotsman
11-13-07, 11:46 AM
Hi Lady Lark

Depends on many things.
Glue
If the glue used was water based then gentle steaming should do the trick. If a PVA type glue was used then you've got problems.

Underlying substrate
If the border was stuck on paper then there's problems, if on loose plaster...again problems. If its on a well adhered and solid substrate its easier as you can use tools....delicately.

As an occasional tradesman its something I would not attempt for money as the chances of success are slim and the labour input is likely to be high.

kilt

DeloresMelon
11-13-07, 11:57 AM
You have several options, however, the way the wallpaper is adhered to the wall will really determine the best way. That said, look into these options. And always try in an inconspicuous area if you can before you go crazy all over the joint.

The first thing I recommend is simply try to pull the wallpaper off. If it comes off, consider yourself lucky. However what may happen is you're going to remove the wallpaper, leaving the adhesive layer behind. If this is the case here's what you can do.

* Rent a wallpaper steamer. It forces steam into the wallpaper, softening the glue allowing you to remove it with a putty knife. If you're house is relatively new, and used paperfaced wallboards, this may damage your walls.

* Look in your local Home Depot, Lowes, other home improvement store for a product call DIF. It's a blue gooey stuff that you spray on, let sit a bit then you can scrape off with putty knife. You'll likely want to remove the top vinyl layer of wallpaper first, otherwise you need this took that rolls all over the wallpaper poking tiny holes so the DIF can penetrate the vinyl layer to get to the adhesive layer.

I've personally used the DIF and it did a fine job. I pulled all the wallpaper off first, then working in small areas, sprayed the goo on, scraped it off. It's messy, but it gets the job done.

Now, my Mother, the wallpaper expert claims she's done this with water only. Either it required more elbow grease than I had to give or I didn't do it right, but I found the DIF much preferable to her method.

Once you get the wallpaper off, if you're going to re-paper, you'll just want to sand lightly to smooth out any residual glue left behind. If you're going to paint, you'll want to use prime using a sealing/stain killing primer. Either way, grab some sandpaper, you'll need it for a smooth end product.

All else fails, ask your local paint shop what they recommend.

KittenPoker
11-13-07, 03:06 PM
On "Sell This House" they've used a mix of fabric softener and water in a spray bottle. First they score the wallpaper with some rolly-razor thingy (probably in the wallpaper section at Lowes or Home Depot), spray it down with the mix, and then they're able to scrape the paper off.

I was lucky with the border in our bathroom. Just a good shower was able to steam it off with little glue residue.

Matt S.
11-13-07, 03:10 PM
Steam cleaners work, I have done it.

Skully
11-13-07, 09:56 PM
Check in the wallpaper isle at home depot or lowe's. I am sure they sell something to help remove wallpaper. I'll ask my dad, he is a general contractor.

Skully
11-13-07, 11:09 PM
My father said there is a product out there called "DIf" that has the chemicals in it to soften the glue. Give that a try. It is concentrated and you mix it with WARM water.

~boots~
11-14-07, 12:38 AM
I always have had success with warm soapy water..peel off as much top layer as you can, then soak what's left with warm soapy water, and scrape away carefully :-)
unless some weird glue was used..it works well for pre-pasted, and regular glued paper

Lady Lark
11-14-07, 11:25 AM
Hi Lady Lark

Depends on many things.
Glue
If the glue used was water based then gentle steaming should do the trick. If a PVA type glue was used then you've got problems.

Underlying substrate
If the border was stuck on paper then there's problems, if on loose plaster...again problems. If its on a well adhered and solid substrate its easier as you can use tools....delicately.

As an occasional tradesman its something I would not attempt for money as the chances of success are slim and the labour input is likely to be high.

kilt
It's just a border (Winnie the Pooh) that was a wet and stick job. It's stuck on paint on a new wall (the house is brand spanking new), and the wall is textured, and it's just drywall. I had the thought (briefly) to just paint over it, but I know that's just not gonna work.

I never really intended to have to remove it so soon, but when Tammy moved in, she got Brandon's room, and Brandon is now bunking with Steven. For some silly reason the 14 year old girl just doesn't want Winnie the Pooh all around her room. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. Wish me luck!

Lady Lark
01-29-08, 01:49 PM
Thank you to everyone who suggested DIF. Picked it up and that stuff is amazing! It took more time to move stuff out of the way then it did to get the border off. :eek:

Now the funny part, to see if my daughter notices it's missing when she gets home. :p