View Full Version : Performance Anxiety (Band Related)

bandie08
11-15-07, 08:12 AM
Ok I have had this problem ever since I started playing trumpet. I know my scales solid except for when I have an audition. I practice my trumpet and saxophone every single day and still I literally forget the sharps and flats in scales. It makes me angry because I want to make honor bands like all district band or all virginia band. For seating auditions I usually get around 5th to last chair. Have any other musicians had this same problem? How do you get rid of it? I have a seating audition for wind ensemble soon. I want to try to get first or second chair. I have 2 more auditions after the wind ensemble seating audition this year. all district band audition, and my audition to get into the Music school at Marshall

FrazzleDazzle
11-15-07, 07:00 PM
HI Bandie! Boy did this bring back some memories! I played flute, trumpet, and piano all through school, and had lots of auditions. You already sound motivated and prepared, so best of luck to you in your ventures. So, here's what I found helpful otherwise:

Just go to auditions just to get experience at them, even if you know you won't place.

The day of the audition, don't do anything out of the ordinary to your schedule otherwise, or dietwise.

Exercise, walk, swim, jog, rebound, or whatever if you can the morning of an audition to let loose some of the pent-up nerves and butterflys.

Do NOT drink an espresso an hour prior! :D

bandie08
11-19-07, 08:48 AM
HI Bandie! Boy did this bring back some memories! I played flute, trumpet, and piano all through school, and had lots of auditions. You already sound motivated and prepared, so best of luck to you in your ventures. So, here's what I found helpful otherwise:

Just go to auditions just to get experience at them, even if you know you won't place.

The day of the audition, don't do anything out of the ordinary to your schedule otherwise, or dietwise.

Exercise, walk, swim, jog, rebound, or whatever if you can the morning of an audition to let loose some of the pent-up nerves and butterflys.

Do NOT drink an espresso an hour prior! :D
hehe don't worry i don't plan too. I actually drink alot of water and eat a banana for potasium.

benjamin_21
11-27-07, 03:45 AM
i'm a beatboxer and performance artist in los angeles, and i've been doing performing for about 5 years now. At first it was hard for me but here's how I would give you advice on dealing with performance anxiety:

1. Stop... Don't let yourself think what THEY are thinking. Every time you notice yourself doing this, just bring your mind back to your body.

2. If you honestly believe you are doing everything right, THEY will believe your doing everything right.

3. Don't see the audience as a crowd of many different minds. See the audience as a collective whole of one mind. Clump them all together as one entity, and if you interact with the crowd, well then your just interacting with one entity. Keep interaction simple, and if you want a response from them just do something simple like "how you all doin?" None of them will tell you how each one of them feels, they'll just all yell back. See? They're just one entity...

4. Relax... Have fun with it, theres no point in being anxious over your performance. It'll get done either way, if you mess up you'll learn from it and you'll never do it again. If you don't mess up this time then you can hope you mess up next time!