View Full Version : Anyone Reading/Read You Mean I'm Not Crazy, Lazy, or Stupid?

BethanyBez
11-16-07, 04:38 PM
I'm reading the updated version. I love that it's written by ADDers for ADDers. It really has a wealth of information inside it, much more so than any other book or website I've checked out, and it's easy to read but at the same time well-written. I like it a lot!

Still, the illustrations are 100% hideous and I feel like I am being encouraged to work part-time rather than work harder at my full-time job. Actually, in general the book seems to be trying to convnce me to stop trying so hard...

Curious to know others' thoughts.

blueyeyore
11-16-07, 06:49 PM
No, I've been dying to get a copy. I just can't seem to find one anywhere. I've thought about ebay, but I'm just too leary of if I'm really getting what is pictured lol...i'm weird sometimes

FightingBoredom
11-16-07, 07:00 PM
I've never heard of the book--sounds interesting.
I'd agree with the don't "try" so hard. Most of my successes have happened when I wasn't trying so hard.

Here's my perspective on the labels Crazy, Lazy and Stupid. (I do like to give my perspective).

Crazy? I know I'm not crazy since, by definition, insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly--expecting a different result. With ADHD I never do the same thing twice and typically can't remember what I wanted for the first result so my expectations usually end up higher with each attempt!

Lazy? If by lazy you mean that a person finds the simplest most efficient and best way to do something boring so they can spend as little time doing it as possible--then yes--I'm lazy. Which ties into stupid...

I know I'm not stupid because, aside from having a high IQ, I've solved more "impossible" problems in a year than most people do in a lifetime. Also, only stupid people are completely unaware of their own failings--I am acutely aware of my failings and strive to perfect every aspect of myself and things around me. Also, stupid people waste a lot of time doing things that bore them and don't get to the good stuff in life often enough--and that's just crazy! :D

Skully
11-16-07, 11:25 PM
I haven't read it but it is on my list to santa. Hopefully he will bring it this year.

Andrew
11-16-07, 11:48 PM
I believe the updated book can be purchased at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/You-Mean-Lazy-Stupid-Crazy/dp/0743264487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195271239&sr=8-1

Matt S.
11-17-07, 11:05 AM
I have read it before and it is a good book in my opinion...

NonSequitur
11-17-07, 11:57 AM
I have the original and updated versions. I like it.

Iamscattered
11-26-07, 11:12 PM
This book deserves a load of credit just for the name, and as much as it is loved, I can only acknowledge its benefit to many.

Having said that, I thought it was an ADHD nightmare. I found it poorly organized, with all the charm and order of a frequently tagged wall in a bad part of town. Every page of this ADHD book is full of distractions; weird drawings, loads of italics, even more bold print, exclamation points everywhere! And it will take considerable time to find 2 consectutive pages using the same layout. It made me sea sick just to look at this book.

The book is dependent on long lists headed with titles like 'analyze', 'rules', 'to dos' and 'remember', etc. and these lists go on forever. For example "The ADD-Friendly Guide to Meditation" has 20 steps. ADD-Friendly!? There is enough organizational and behavorial advice and lengthy lists in this book to keep an ADHDer busy for several lifetimes. And it felt like several lifetimes before I finished reading it.

A book about ADHD by authors with ADHD is a good thing. Having the finished product scream, "this was written by people with ADHD" is not.

So read this book, primarily if you need and are able to follow the organizational tips. Many do love it. But if you want to learn what ADHD is and how to treat it , my advice is to stay clear of this book at least for awhile, a less 'pop' approach to ADHD might be a lot more beneficial.

Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction are far more professional (both in presentation and substance). This book on the other hand could be thought of as an ADHD beach book; go ahead skip around to the interesting parts, and enjoy the really inventive ideas even if you know they are not practical enough to try.

And be kinder than I have been, because you know that if any of us were to write a book, it would be every bit as messy and meandering as You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!;) ;) ;)

Michiko74
12-03-07, 03:50 PM
Having said that, I thought it was an ADHD nightmare.

100% agreement there!

I like the title because I think it sums up what a lot of ADHDers feel prior to being diagnosed. I know I certainly felt this way.

But the format of the book is just horrible. There is WAY too much information, and it just seems to go on forever. It's true the drawings don't help, and hello.. can you sum up the information in bite sized chunks? :rolleyes: :confused:

I don't think I found one tibbit of information I could use. It's certainly not written in a very accesible way.

I also agree that Dr. Hallowell's books are much better. I even perfer Delivered from distraction better than it's original.

Tara
12-03-07, 05:29 PM
This is one of the few ADHD books that's available as an audio book. If you have trouble reading it I highly recommended listening to instead.

waffle_pimp
05-18-08, 12:10 AM
i loved it when i got it but now i tend to like books than dont see add as a disorder better

curseandablessi
06-10-08, 08:06 PM
This was the first one I read. I really liked it, have no idea where I put it.

zoomman
06-10-08, 08:52 PM
One of those, "if you read only one book about your add/adhd," things.

YupYupYup.

Bonnieboo
06-11-08, 12:19 AM
I'm gonna, when I can afford it, because my ex husband has, at various times, called me crazy, lazy AND stupid. I'm glad you like it!

Sam French
04-18-09, 03:27 PM
I am reading this book now. They have left NO stone unturned. I should be done with it this week. I think they shared more personal insight than other authors.
I am very glad I got it.

saindon420
04-18-09, 03:30 PM
the woman that diagnosed me suggested reading it.