View Full Version : 70% of ADDers may have other LDs

Tara
03-26-03, 02:48 PM
LD (learning disabilties or learning differences) is the most common co-existing condtion with AD/HD. Recent studies suggest that 70% of ADDers also have written communication issues. Many ADDers are not diagnosed with LD because of the way AD/HD is diagnosed. AD/HD itself is diagnosed through signs and symptoms and many times standard AD/HD questionaires may be used too. LDs are diagnosed by neuropsychological or psychoeducational assesments.

(The above was adapted from the book
Understanding Women with AD/HD (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=188))

Wheel1975
09-19-03, 07:14 PM
I do

sleepzalot
09-19-03, 07:27 PM
I really struggle to learn something new unless I'm hyperfocusing..end even then my range is limited. I'm not sure if it is memory related or learning related...but the end result is the same.

Sleepz

joanrdtobe
09-20-03, 01:34 PM
I do too.....learning new material that someone is actually teaching to me....and especially if it is complex....is tough.....I will almost NEVER "hear" it the first time....NEVER....and the second time, maybe....

In other words, "receiving" information for me is SOOO difficult....even if the person "talks slow"....and so school was murderours and torturous..

and soto cope I have had to write down all the material in lectures, throughout my high school and college years, and basically go home and teach it to myself.....and go over it and over it and over it and over it and over it and over it and over it, etc etc etc....

Listening on tape recorders to material I taped helped a lot....I would listen to it over and over and over.....

So why did I bother???? Because I eventually came to see I needed to do something worthwhile with my life....

I had my college degree....but not using it for many years and dying of boredom and underachievement was more painful than going through the torture of completing the post B.S. professional credentialling....even though learning it all and studying was so tremendously difficult.....

Wheel1975
09-21-03, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by joanrdtobe
...and so school was murderours and torturous..

and soto cope I have had to write down all the material in lectures, throughout my high school and college years, and basically go home and teach it to myself.....and go over it and over it and over it and over it and over it and over it and over it, etc etc etc....

Listening on tape recorders to material I taped helped a lot....I would listen to it over and over and over.....

So why did I bother???? Because I eventually came to see I needed to do something worthwhile with my life....

I had my college degree....but not using it for many years and dying of boredom and underachievement was more painful than going through the torture of completing the post B.S. professional credentialling....even though learning it all and studying was so tremendously difficult.....

I find that "customizing" the learning process to the learner is important. then following the derived plan is important. For ADHD that is hard to self enforce.

joanrdtobe
09-21-03, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Wheel1975

I find that "customizing" the learning process to the learner is important. then following the derived plan is important. For ADHD that is hard to self enforce.

David: You quoted me, and now I'll quote you right back....your words absolutely CANNOT say it any better...thanks........!!!!!!
HUGS.......:)

rosanne33548
10-13-03, 09:54 PM
My daughter is Educable Mentally Handicapped plus having ADDHD
and it is hard to raise a child that has both problems. Need all the help I can to take on this type of behavior and learning problem.
she is in EMH classes...it helps but hoping she can graduate next year and be able to be a part of society. I am sure there are alot of books out there that can help some people. I need to go to a support group for my daughters sake. need to know if she is able to take care of her ADD plus her handicap too at the same time...
Do you have any advice????? :confused:

Wheel1975
10-14-03, 07:05 PM
Probably need two separate groups for that... my guess.

What would you like to have as help?

rosanne33548
10-14-03, 11:21 PM
just to have a place to come to for ADD ....but if i have to go to another forum for EMH students then i will have to do that. I am glad that you replyed to my post. thank you for all your help.

:)

Wheel1975
10-14-03, 11:45 PM
There is a lot to say... why don't you take a stab at describing a situation or scenario that concerns you, and see what people think with respect to that?

You'll probably get lots of opinions, but they'll probably all be well intentioned and based on someones experience!

Fire off an issue and we'll see who jumps in...

Andrew
10-15-03, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by rosanne33548
just to have a place to come to for ADD ....but if i have to go to another forum for EMH students then i will have to do that. I am glad that you replyed to my post. thank you for all your help.

:)

I'm sure if we have any Forums members who are familiar with EMH, they will be more than happy to respond to your posts. :)

Welcome to the ADD Forums :)

MrsBulldog720
03-10-04, 04:20 PM
<---had neuropsych testing done...Some Left brain deficit.

lilthingsADDup
03-17-04, 03:47 PM
I have trouble both remembering and understanding a lot of things I hear.

sthrnchik
07-18-04, 07:00 PM
Besides living with SAD learning new things that are verbally taught to me is a nightmare. I have to write down everything so that I can refer back to the instructions, but once I learn it there is no problem performing the task.
It is such a relief to hear others talk about this problem, bcause I've always been so embarassed about not being able to store & comprehend instructions at a normal pace.
But I have to admit that Ritalin has helped my memory alot. Even something as simple as repeating a long order at a fastfood place:)

casper
11-15-04, 02:27 AM
I have numerous LD's as well as ADD. My big probs are spelling, and math. I also read things and then have no idea what I just read!

Looney-N-Idaho
11-16-04, 05:20 PM
I love to read as long as it is for entertainment and not learning purposes. I try to read something I need to learn, comprehend and retain and it is just so frustrating! I read and reread and nothing sticks in my brain. I'll read something I want to share with someone and not be able to rethink it and articulate it. I end up sounding like a moron.

I have a 3rd grade math level because numbers and math and problem solving is such a challenge.

Comprehension and inability to retain information are #1 on my 'list' of LD's. Verbal instruction is in some ways easier than trying to read instruction as long as they don't give me too much information, and as long as they demonstrate what they want me to be able to do. I'm a 'show-me' don't tell me person.

VickiS
03-21-05, 09:28 PM
I think so many parents get the initial diagnoses of add and let it go at that. It seems to be a great catchall when kids don't seem get be "getting it" on the regular program.
We did some additional testing for my son and while he does have add we also found out what he is capable of (a lot) and his limitations (he calls them technical difficulties) that will hold him back. I feel that without that knowledge, I could not even begin to understand what is going on in his head. This really helped me come up with a plan to help him and to obtain the support he needs.

nopaddle
02-02-06, 06:39 PM
Wow. Just noticing this thread is old, but I'm new here, so it's not old to me. This is conforting since "misery loves company". I'm taking a training course for my job right now and it's a horrible experience. Although I've been out of school for 30 years now, the feelings are coming right back. I'm the one in the class who's always on the wrong screen or the wrong page, or I lost my homework. It's so very embarassing. I was diagnosed with ADD a few months ago, so I thought that may be it. But I'm wondering now if I have some learning disabilities as well. I just seem to be hours behind everyone else while going from screen to screen, so I'm always lost. My preference is to learn at my own pace since I like to know why a certain step is done a certain way. I need that in order to "get it". Looking back, it's always been this way. I was the perfect C- student, except for English and writing and related subjects. I excelled in those and got A's easily.

Can this be just ADD or is it possible I have learning disabilities as well?

Crazygirl79
02-02-06, 08:51 PM
Hi People.

I've just noticed this thread and I'm classed as mildly learning disabled as it take longer for me to learn than it does for other people, I spent most of my school in special education classes and I did very well there, the teachers made learning easier and I made lots of nice friends who were understanding of my problems as I was of their's, then I went to mainstream school and this when I went down down down down, I couldn't learn a thing, I had no friends, I was picked on something terrible, I lost any self esteem I had and I was depressed and suicidal....that was yesteryear.

Now I'm a much happier person and I don't even think of suicide anymore.

My main learning disabilities were with mathematics and drawning and copying pictures and designs, I have no problems with reading, writing and spelling but I learnt to read and write when I was 7 and thats considered very late in Australian education standards and I learnt a lot of my other skills such learning the time etc etc at a later age than other children, i find learning slightly easier now I'm older but I'm also aware that I'm still very mildly learning disabled.

Thanks
Selena:)

hypergeek2
02-03-06, 11:58 AM
Ive just went back to school recently as a LD student. I defanatley hvae adhd but thats secondray to my dyslexa. The writing teacher at the school wants me to get tested for some other dyslexec problem, i fogrto the name but its when you cant write down your thuoghts well. (my buddy ask me if i plan to drive to school in a car or if i have to ride there on one of them short buses!)