View Full Version : A Sensory Intergration Disorder A Poem to Share

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
11-22-07, 05:43 PM
I Thought this effectively expressed what those of us with Sensory Issues want others to understand and know:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I Am A Person, Unique and Genuine

Please see me for who I am, and not for what I have been labeled or diagnosed.
I am not an acronym.
I am a person, unique and genuine.
I am not ashamed of my diagnosis; I just don’t want to be seen as my diagnosis.
View me the way I view you, with eyes of compassion and understanding.
See beyond my ODDNESS, beyond my episodes of lack of self-control, my need for movement, my need for sameness, my need for routine, my messiness, and my distractibility.
Give me space, give me time, and give me a chance.
Let me learn how to make it work for me, life that is…..
Help me feel good about myself with all my differences. Let me know that it is OK not to fit in all the time. Love me even on my difficult days.
Understand that I want to conform and make you proud, it’s just really hard for me at times.
Don’t give up on me. I need you in my corner.
Know that I try, really try to be like him, to be like her. It looks easy it sounds easy, but for me often times it’s not easy.
You know the so-called simple stuff, like:

Be quiet
Don’t get up out of your seat
Listen more
Stop playing with that
Stop jumping around
Stay still
Quit daydreaming all the time
Stop interrupting
Don’t be so angry all the time
Don’t be rude
Try to be more like him or like her

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the author:

Tammy Cook, an adult who has ADHD and SPD problems, works in the public schools as a speech-language pathologist. She reports that she is happily married to a wonderful man and has two grown daughters and a precious granddaughter. Tammy can be reached at nnsrt01@aol.com.

Read an occupational therapist’s response to this article: Response to "Living with ADHD and SPD" — An OT Perspective.

Page updated: 8/4/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazygirl79
12-13-07, 05:33 AM
I've read this one...it's excellent!!!