View Full Version : Psychotherapy & Groups

netsavy006
11-23-07, 04:31 PM
I think a great psychotherapy combination would be once a week indivual and once a week groups. The individual would be for the more personal issues and the group for the discussion and feedback. That's my opinion on psychotherapy anyway.

I'll be doing individual therapy until there is a group availability at the counsling center I go to.

Matt S.
11-23-07, 05:17 PM
They have DBT groups everywhere Andy.

QueensU_girl
11-23-07, 06:09 PM
re: Group Therapy ("IPT")

Not all IPT is DBT. :)

And not all DBT is always IPT.

IPT ("interpersonal therapy") is the name for Group Therapy format.

DBT is using the principles designed by M. Linehan.

Examples I am thinking of:

(a) A person can have Group Therapy w/o it being DBT. For example, a person may belong to a suicide survivors group.

(b) A person can also have 1:1 Therapy with a DBT-trained therapist who uses 'DBT principles' in dealing with their needy/upset clients.

Given this: you could look for other types of IPT (Group Therapy) to see if they suit you.

Matt S.
11-23-07, 06:13 PM
I know but that is the typical format for DBT and they may offer that because of the weekly group structure, most places offer DBT whereas IPT isn't offered as much, that is why I made the statement.

Tara
11-23-07, 06:32 PM
I think the group process is great for people with AD/HD. I know that people really get a lot out of Group Coaching. I learned recently of a nurse practioner who runs a medication management group for Adults with AD/HD too. There's a book called "Group:Six People in Search of a Life " which is about a therapy group. I thought it was quite and interesting book too.

Iamscattered
12-06-07, 02:40 AM
I think anyone (and ADHD especially) might want to consider group therapy at least once. It can be a pretty amazing.

After I had been in individual therapy for awhile I thought I could anticipate what a group experience would be like. But nope, it is a completely different animal. Different fears to face, different benefits to receive.

QueensU_girl
12-08-07, 01:15 PM
I like that a lot of interpersonal communication issues come out.

e.g. the issues that a person has in dealing with their parents, partners, friends or authority figures will often come out in the group, as 'patterns' emerge.

Better to practice it in group therapy settings than lose friends in real life.

TARA: I am ordering that Book you mentioned from the Toronto Public Library!