View Full Version : Losing things . . .

Phishoutawatur
11-27-07, 08:18 PM
Im Colette, I am 14, and i was diagnosed with innattentive add in august. Right now Im taking 50mg Vyvanse and its really helping me focus and that is great

But one thing that it doesn't help is my tendency to lose things. i constantly misplace things and never find them. Shoes, phones, brushes, homework, makeup, shampoo, clothes, sports stuff, ipods, chargers, binders, money, textbooks, jewelry ( i had a white gold necklace with my name on it that i lost at a volleyball game because i forgot where i took it off)

It is really out of control especially when it comes to school because my teachers dont understand that i really did write that five page essay it just got put somewhere in my locker and in the next 3 periods i will probaly find it.

I pick things up without realizing it and put them down in random places, then i don't remember. My attention shifts to something more interesting ( which becomes less interesting in a matter of minutes =] )

Is there anything i can do to help me with this since meds obviously arent helping, and my psychologist doesn't help at all. Any suggestions?

Thanx! -Colette

livinginchaos
11-27-07, 11:49 PM
welcome, Colette!

It's great that Vyvanse is helping you. I tend to lose things too, it's not fun playing "find the keys" every morning!

I've gotten into the habit of placing important things (ie: keys, deodorant, jewelry, etc) in the same place. Every night when i get home from work my keys go in the paper holder thingy next to the door. My jewelry goes into a record pot and my deodorant goes into the basket with my make up (can't be stinky!!). My workout shoes always stay by the door, my ipod is in my gym bag . . etc.

This way I don't have to retrace my steps to find important items.

Try it out - keeping certain spots only for certain items. :)

good luck!

Phishoutawatur
11-28-07, 12:12 AM
Thanks Courtney!

i will try this out, its worth a shot!
now to go find my cell phone . . . =]

sarey
11-28-07, 03:33 AM
Oh geez, don't go there with me losing things LOL
Everyday, every hour, I forget or misplace something
It really bugs me because I coulda sworn I just had it and then it's just gone!

I think maybe if you try to remember your last steps, it's what I do, sometimes works :)

TeLL
11-28-07, 03:47 AM
For me, and probably 85% of the world, I'd suggest following a 'strict' routine. i dont mean strict in the sence that you'l punish yhourself for not follwing it, or that you have to do it every single time, but just making sure you dont drop the habit, like Courtney said, find a place for everything, keys = hook, or jar or something small (not a desk or counter). try to do that with everything you use one a daily basis.
to make this work you have to 'check' yourself often enough, when i get up on the bus (when i lived in a city who had some) i always looked around to see if i had a bag or if i dropped anything. i do that everytime i leave any room. it sounds like a chore, but after a few weeks/months it just happens, ive lost SO many fewer things n probably saved tons of money by not replacing the stuff I didnt loose ;).

find the system that works best for you.

oh and for putting things down and not knowing where that place is, just think before you put anything down "im putting my necklace on the left end of this bench, im putting htis necklace ont he left side of this bench". once you actually think about what your doing you forget... less. lol
good luck and I hope the vyanese is doing you good :D

Matt S.
11-28-07, 03:51 AM
The meds should help with part of the problem involved with losing things, I know checking things a little more effeiciently is part of my meds and I lose a lot less stuff.

Phishoutawatur
11-28-07, 04:43 PM
thank you guys, this actually really helps!

livinginchaos
11-28-07, 04:52 PM
good! keep us updated, phish, with how it goes for you :)

Skully
11-30-07, 08:21 PM
I used to lose things all the time. Then I got in the habit to where I wouldn't put anything down unless it was in the correct place. Otherwise, I would never find anything!

Marty
12-01-07, 12:28 PM
What I nowadays do is for one attach my keys to my pants. (doesn't help in the morning but at least I don't lose my keys at school. I've tried to find places to always put my stuff but I keep to it for a day or 2 then just forget to do. Anyway happy that this is working for you.

jester6435
12-01-07, 05:51 PM
What works best with me as well is to try and have a designated spot for different things. When I walk in my room I take my essentials (keys, phone, wallet) and always put them in teh same place. Atleast I try, I drive my roomate nuts because everytime we go to walk out the door i'm searching around the room saying "where the hell did I put it"

Crackerjack
12-02-07, 12:49 AM
Ditto along with everyone else.

Once I created a certain place for things to go, I rarely lost anything. For your reports, for example, I'd suggest buying a folder, then as soon as you're done with a report put it in your folder and the folder in your schoolbag.

When I have "lost" something, the first places I check are where I've lost them before. I usually find them there. :D

4gotAgain
12-04-07, 02:38 PM
i lose like pretty much everything. I lose my eftpos/money card all the time. Ive had to get like 8 new ones this year. If i bring a wallet i lose that so Ive ended up not getting new ones. I am trying to put a system in place like I used to have while I was at school. It just takes a while to get into the habit.

At school I ws the same as you, getting my essays done but forgetting to take them to school. We used to have to write lines out (I must not forget to take my essays to school because it is a careless mistake etc) if we forgot. I once had over 1000 lines for different things that I had forgotten. I still kept forgetting for ages tho. It took me ages to catch on but finally somehow put a system in place. Its all about routines. Thats the only way I remember things.

Now i have to start over with new routines.

Teedrum
12-04-07, 05:07 PM
i don't mind losing things so much...well the little stuff anyway...

i find it fun when i stumble on it 3 weeks or 3 months later

"oh ya thats where i put that" :D