View Full Version : School Counselors?

ADHDAD
11-28-07, 12:00 AM
My son is in 6th grade and they have a counselor that is new to his school this year. I had curiously dropped her an email today to ask how she would feel becoming aquainted with my son and perhaps give him someone to understand what he is dealing with on a daily basis. She responded very excitedly and seems very interested in beginning a relationship with him. I suppose for a new counselor, they are excited when someone actually comes to them for help.

Question, has anyone had school counselors that really helped make a difference in their school experience? My son is a very good communicator and I think he will be open to meeting with her. Just curious about anyone elses experiences with this type of thing.

Jamie

deathbyants
11-28-07, 12:38 AM
Question, has anyone had school counselors that really helped make a difference in their school experience? My son is a very good communicator and I think he will be open to meeting with her. Just curious about anyone elses experiences with this type of thing.

Jamie
It has been about five years since I was in HS but I will say this: From the schools I went to (four between middle and high school) the overwhelming majority of counselors were not very helpful. I have always thought this was due to the fact that they spend most of their day either diciplining troublesom students in some way or providing career advice (at the high school level). You may have better luck at the middle school level though. Just remember: They are NOT psychiatrists.

supersomeone
01-22-08, 05:13 PM
ugh lol .My elementry school one was a total jerk (when I was unmed) So I Do not go to them like at all.lol sorry that doesnt help much

FrazzleDazzle
01-22-08, 07:47 PM
Hi Jamie!

I have been in touch with my son's school counselors very closely since 7th grade. He was in private school before that, and I kept close contact with the teachers then. He had the same counselor for 7-8th grade, and now in high school will have another counselor all through high school, which is nice they stay with the kids all through. I keep my e-mails short, brief, etc, and follow up with a call if I don't hear back. Both counselors were really very helpful in getting the teachers and my son to all read the same page, and getting a 504 set up and going. (Keeping it going is another issue totally) but they all seem to like being helpful and knowing there's a parent out there that cares about their kids. Seems communication is appreciated, as long as you don't seem as hovering or contacting too much. When my son did hit a couple of trouble spots in junior high, he seemed receptive since he was already acquainted with his counselor, and she knew just how to relate to him on his own level.

I'd say, if your kiddo has a good one, keep in touch and keep the lines open. That is what they seem to like the most, doing something positive rather than disciplining all day long, as the previous poster mentioned. :-)

aloha1983
03-07-08, 11:08 PM
Oh if they're keen to help for sure utilise any help you can get. It may be useful for you to provide them with some material on ADD or background info on your son. Again, as long as you keep the lines of communication open, it should be fine.

Tiako44
04-21-08, 09:45 PM
They are total jerks to unmeded students. They pretty much said to my mom they would not help unless I took some meds.

elizam
04-23-08, 09:08 AM
mixed emotions here as a mom...

middle school one was pretty helpful and didn't think meds were the only answer

high school one is pretty good but is young and doesn't have teens of her own and all the counselors must be very busy with the huge amt of students there

I've been told things like, "he really should just take the meds" and "we could implement some sort of required counseling with a professional" which sort of bugs me

also I am getting more of the "he doesn't try to pay attention" whenever a big ADHD issue comes up, it is dismissed as "he doesn't care"

Mary
04-23-08, 09:54 AM
The counselors here are NOT the greatest. The one is supposed to be in the elementary... comes up to the middle and the highschool now... He actually left bruises on my youngests arm a few years ago. I should have taken pictures and turned him in.

The other, is a woman.. what a piece of cake she is. Tells my daughter one thing, one week.. and something totally different several weeks into the semester. So then,..daughter ends up suffering for it, in the long run.

But of course... if you talk to some in the cliques.. she's the best thing there is going for everyone.

Enough said!

Good luck!