View Full Version : High vyvanse Dose?

bkaguy
11-28-07, 05:57 PM
I have been taking Adderall for nearly 10 years. I have taken others like dextrostat, dextroamphetamine, and adderall xr. Now I am trying Vyvanse as Adderall over time has worked for shorter and shorter periods. It will only last about 4 hours, and I'm up to 55 mg 3 times a day. That may sound like a lot to most of you, but this is over a period of years, not to mention that I have a high tolerance to most things.

At any rate I am trying out Vyvanse, but it does not seem to work. I started out with 70mg and tried that for a few days -nothing. so I increased it to 140, and only noticed a marginal difference. I am nervous to try a higher dose b/c I have heard no mention of others at similar levels.

My questions are as follows:

Does anyone have a similar story? Is anyone at a higher dose than 140mg?

Matt S.
11-28-07, 07:28 PM
I did the trial just because I had the 30 day trial and I take a lot of dexedrine and I started at 210 mg per day, I took 2 70's in the morning and 1 70 at noon.

It was worthless, I take 45 mg of dexedrine 3 times a day so it wasn't quite what I am used to.

bkaguy
11-28-07, 08:50 PM
"I started at 210 mg per day, I took 2 70's in the morning and 1 70..." Thats for the Vyvanse, right?

watts
11-28-07, 10:02 PM
"I started at 210 mg per day, I took 2 70's in the morning and 1 70..." Thats for the Vyvanse, right?Yeah he's talking about Vyvanse. I think he did the 30 day free trial of it but didn't care for it.

For yourself it's certainly worth doing the trial, but for effectiveness you will most likely need a similar/ higher dose. Is your doctor willing to do this? Or are you uneasy about taking the extra high dose? Keep us updated.

Just reread the OP and I would suggest if you hit 140mg of Vyvanse with no benefit, and the fact that you were on 55mg TID of Adderall, going up to 210mg makes sense if your doctor is ok with it. If you are worried about that high of a jump, you could go in 30 or 50mg increments until you notice benefit.

bkaguy
11-29-07, 02:29 AM
Yeah he's talking about Vyvanse. I think he did the 30 day free trial of it but didn't care for it.

For yourself it's certainly worth doing the trial, but for effectiveness you will most likely need a similar/ higher dose. Is your doctor willing to do this? Or are you uneasy about taking the extra high dose? Keep us updated.

Just reread the OP and I would suggest if you hit 140mg of Vyvanse with no benefit, and the fact that you were on 55mg TID of Adderall, going up to 210mg makes sense if your doctor is ok with it. If you are worried about that high of a jump, you could go in 30 or 50mg increments until you notice benefit.The thing is I have a new doctor. My former doctor retired and gave me pretty much free reign insofar as dosages go -which is likley true with everyone since no one can tell you what is or isn't the correct amount. Needless to say one must responsibly self-monitor, but I think this comes naturally as time goes on. I must say I think none of the doctors really know much about medication of this sort as most don't actually experience what we do, so in that regard I am certainly not 'worried'. I guess i have a higher than normal tolerance than most coupled with the fact that this is a new medicine makes me somewhat cautious as I do not wish to over medicate. But I am yet to recognize any sort of benefit from Vyvanse.

Matt S.
11-29-07, 04:34 AM
A 25 mg strength Vyvanse capsule is molecularly equivalent to 10 mg Dexedrine Spansules (both the aforementioned pharmaceuticals are about 7.425 mg dextroamphetamine).

Dexedrine dosages are 60-90 mg on average.

theaddman
12-29-07, 06:18 PM
Very similiar story here. I had been at 120mg/day of adderall for about 4 or 5 years, when it just seemed to not last as long throughout the day. I began increasing my dosage, and of course, I began running out of meds before the 30th day of my monthly rx. This resulted in a week-long crash period that I couldnt tolerate anymore. So, I asked to switch to vyvanse. Was started at 70mg 1x per day. I find it does work, but seems to only last for 4 or 5 hours. I have started just taking a 2nd dose around noon, and that has helped me get thru the day. but of course, I will run out of meds early this way, and that is what I was trying to avoid. Planning on discussing with my Dr. after holidays.

shocker147
12-04-08, 01:38 PM
I'm glad to come across this thread. I told someone I got a phenomenal response from Vyvanse at 120 mg and they flipped out. They said it was far too high, but I don't think so at all. I felt more in control and more normal than I ever have with any other med at any other strength.

hollywood
12-04-08, 04:47 PM
I agree with the op on this thread and can sympathize with your situation. Many times a person with just adhd will start taking caffeine or add an antidepressant when things like this happen , sometimes they help other times they only cloud or mask what is really happening. Still I don't have much of a solid opinion on what to do in these type of scenarios. Since I've been on a med over 12 years I too confront these issues, for me I just suffer through it and remember the days of symptom control when I acted like I wanted to .... I think decreasing dosages is a good strategy but it's hard to accomplish in the grinde of the real world, there are seldom days that you can just take off... The only thing I can really think of is to back off the med for a bit, but usually if you metabolize quickly it won't matter and you'll be back in the same position.... I'm not sure but I dont really think you can just keep increasing doses and not run into problems honestly.

JR1973
12-05-08, 05:13 PM
Remember that Vyvanse dosing is not equal to regular Dexedrine or Adderall. Vyvanse only contains approximately 30% amphetamine (the other 70% is lysine).

In a 70mg capsule of Vyvanse you are getting 21mg of amphetamine. 70mg Vyvanse is said to be equal to 30mg of Adderall XR or 30mg of Dexedrine due to the benefits of not being altered by gastric pH and hepatic metabolism.

bobC
12-05-08, 05:31 PM
Per the vavanse website its 40mg amphetamine to 100mg vyvanse or a 2.5:1 ratio. 70mg/2.5 is 28mg d-amphetamine.

Adderall is just under 75% d -amphetamine so a 30mg adderall only has ~21mg d-amphetamine.

BobC

JR1973
12-07-08, 10:01 PM
The Vyvanse website doesn't give the amphetamine concentration per dosage, only the likability comparisons.

The NDA for Vyvanse has all the hard data and the 30% amphetamine content.

hollywood
12-16-08, 11:46 AM
JR-

Do you feel vyvanse or focalin xr is a better med for you?

JR1973
12-17-08, 04:47 PM
Good question and a hard one to answer. Both are great choices. Utimately I'd say Vyvanse. Vyvanse has been 100% consistent every time I've taken it. Focalin XR is fast hitting so there is no ramp-up time to start working. I still have a bottle of 100+ Focalin XR 15mg capsules sitting at home because I simply got tired of having to go through another titration period so I just went back to Vyvanse (70mg) and my Adderall IR (5mg) boosters and of course my beloved Provigil.

Both meds last about the same for me but I give the slight nod to Vyvanse with my number 2 choice being a tie between Focalin XR and Adderall XR.

J

hollywood
12-17-08, 10:45 PM
jr-

agreed, focalin xr is fast acting. I wish it stayed a bit more consistent and lasted as long as say concerta does. I've tried vyvanse but the trial wasn't really a good predictor of how the med works for me. I gave up just after two weeks primarily because I am used to how mph or ritalin meds work with my body. Well, focalin xr is good but it wears off too quickly . Maybe I'll go back to concerta or try vyvanse again. I'm in no hurry though-

cheers
hollywood

theaddman
07-19-11, 09:01 AM
It is now 7-19-11. My original post (below) was back in 2007, and since then, my doctor has changed my regimen to one 70 mg Vyvanse mornings, and a 30mg Adderall XR in the afternoons.

Very similiar story here. I had been at 120mg/day of adderall for about 4 or 5 years, when it just seemed to not last as long throughout the day. I began increasing my dosage, and of course, I began running out of meds before the 30th day of my monthly rx. This resulted in a week-long crash period that I couldnt tolerate anymore. So, I asked to switch to vyvanse. Was started at 70mg 1x per day. I find it does work, but seems to only last for 4 or 5 hours. I have started just taking a 2nd dose around noon, and that has helped me get thru the day. but of course, I will run out of meds early this way, and that is what I was trying to avoid. Planning on discussing with my Dr. after holidays.

sarahsweets
07-19-11, 10:14 AM
How's that working for you?

MapleValley
08-02-11, 12:37 PM
Quick introduction: Male, 68. Obviously undiagnosed ADD as a kid. Two biological sons, both have ADD. Younger son (DB),27) has been on meds since age six. I didn't seem to have much in the way of focusing problems, but severe depression, non-responsive to meds. Saw DB's dr, who prescribed Vyvanse 70 mgs. Instant cure of the depression (after years of waking up and hitting a brick wall)--an hour after the first pill, the depression was gone. But the ADD came on, in FULL bloom. Back to dr--I'm not depressed, but hopelessly scatterbrained. He doubles the dose. This works fine. The problem? Medicare will only allow me 30 pills a month, and I'm taking 60. They say they'll make an exception if I can show medical literature that supports the idea that 140 mgs a day is safe and effective. Does anybody know of anything I can quote?

ADHD_Neophyte
08-03-11, 06:49 PM
Quick introduction: Male, 68. Obviously undiagnosed ADD as a kid. Two biological sons, both have ADD. Younger son (DB),27) has been on meds since age six. I didn't seem to have much in the way of focusing problems, but severe depression, non-responsive to meds. Saw DB's dr, who prescribed Vyvanse 70 mgs. Instant cure of the depression (after years of waking up and hitting a brick wall)--an hour after the first pill, the depression was gone. But the ADD came on, in FULL bloom. Back to dr--I'm not depressed, but hopelessly scatterbrained. He doubles the dose. This works fine. The problem? Medicare will only allow me 30 pills a month, and I'm taking 60. They say they'll make an exception if I can show medical literature that supports the idea that 140 mgs a day is safe and effective. Does anybody know of anything I can quote?

I don't know of any medical literature, myself, but take a look at this: http://www.additudemag.com/adhdforums/thread/4867.html

The first and second replies on the thread I posted the link to discuss research by Dr. Joseph Biederman, who is one of the premier ADHD docs in the country (he practices at Mass General and has a relationship with Harvard). I'll try to lookup and share his research, but feel free to take a look yourself. And please, share anything you find, as I am very interested, also.

jpoker27
09-11-11, 05:01 PM
your fine my doc had me on higher dose than 140, no problem