View Full Version : I think I need to join the Cycling Club here!

AZKam
12-01-07, 01:15 AM
I feel like I just found my peeps! (my like-minded people, not the little marshmallow things) I've been reading some posts, and I feel like I'm not alone - there are people going through the same stuff!!

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm really ADD or if it is just a combo of bipolar/depression/effects of Lamictal. Ultimately, I'm not sure I care what the actual labels are, I just want things fixed. So, if Adderall (or something else) will give me my brain back, call it ADD if you need to!

I'm new to the ADD diagnosis, and am just at 15mg Adderall XR. My psychologist wants my meds-doc (actually a psychiatric nurse who is in the same office as psychologist) to move me up to 50mg of Vyvanse (equiv to a lower dose of Adderall), but the meds-doc is very conservative at prescribing, so I might be trying a different doc.

I sort of feel like we're trying to use the Adderall to combat some of the existing depressive symptoms (crawling back into bed an hour or two after I get up, etc).

Oh, and to make the whole thing a lot worse - I'm working on my dissertation - about the worst thing possible when it comes to not having a set schedule, set deadlines, requiring TONS of focus, self-initiative, etc. Yep, fun stuff!

I know I probably should have introduced myself on the main board for that, but it just seemed like this is the section where I'll fit in the best, so here I am.

~boots~
12-01-07, 01:17 AM
welcome AK :-)

Matt S.
12-01-07, 01:19 AM
The Cycling Team gladly accepts new members. Mood Swings are a focal point in my life.

Spongedaddy
12-01-07, 08:27 AM
Hello and welcome. Are you on anything right now? I wasn't sure if you were saying you were taking Adderall and/or Lamictal or if you don't care what you want to take. Labels are just pointers to help us identify things. I think your perspective is a healthy one: getting better is what's important/

AZKam
12-01-07, 02:27 PM
I'm on a few meds - Lamictal (300mg), Effexor (112.5mg - and trying to get off of it), Adderall (just went from 10mg to 15mg - but might switch to Vyvanse in near future), plus Seasonalle birth control pills and Lorazepam to help me sleep (although Ambien works much better, but for some reason the prescriber i'm working with doesn't like Ambien, she likes Lorazepam better - go figure!).

I'm on a high dose of the Lamictal because birth control pills decrease the amount that enters your system. I actually wouldn't mind trying a higher dose of it, but we'll see. I want to get off the Effexor, because it probably isn't helping anything and it is an annoying and expensive med to be on. At least at this strange dose, my doc is giving me a bunch of sample packs (I take a 75mg and a 37.5 mg pill each day) so I'm not actually buying the med.

For some reason, I get completely wired in the late evening. This would be when all of my meds are near their lowest amounts. I take my effexor and sleeping pills right before bed, and my Lamictal and Adderall in the morning. After about 8pm (before I've taken my night pills), I seriously can't sit still. My muscles will tense up, I start tearing off my finger nails if I'm not otherwise doing something with my hands (taking up crocheting has helped somewhat), and my fidgeting is really bad. Its just bizarre, because at that point I'm pysically start to get tired, and yet I get all wired up. If this problem could be fixed, I wouldn't need the sleeping pill. But even with the sleeping pills, I'm lucky to get to sleep by 1 or 2 am.

oh, and just to throw this out there - my evil med was Wellbutrin. What my doc back in Atlanta thought were 'side effects' that I was experiencing from Wellbutrin ended up being hypomania. Went through more than a year of that before I was so frustrated that I went off both that and Effexor and tried to just deal with being depressed. Thank god for a new diagnosis and Lamictal. I know sometimes Wellbutrin is used for ADD, but I don't think I'll ever be willing to put that into my system again.

headsamess
12-01-07, 02:37 PM
What is the cycling club? I always assumed it was a bicycle cycling club, is it?. Sorry if I've missed the point, I'm not being sarcastic or trying to offend, I'm confused as normal and dont know what it is?

Matt S.
12-01-07, 03:02 PM
It is the nickname for the ADDforums members who also suffer from bipolar disorder, we have a tight knit little support circle in amongst ourselves, due primarily to our struggles with both ADHD and Bipolar, but secondly becasue we all like each other and are nice generous people who are willing to help anyone.