View Full Version : Automatic responses

Maxiemonster
12-04-07, 06:36 PM
Often I find myself automaticly responding to someone, mostly after a silence, which always takes my mind to a different place. I'm not really listening to them, but I seem to somehow still hear what sort of response they expect, and automaticly respond. They're mostly short responses like "yeah" or a fake laugh, only meant to make them feel like I'm listening (even though I'm pretty sure it's pretty clear to most of them that I'm not).
I want to able to tell my friends and family that I'm just not capable of always paying attention to them, and that they shouldn't always expect an answer. The problems is that I doubt that'll stop me from doing this, which is the reason I don't.

Does anyone else often finds himself automaticly responding to others?

4gotAgain
12-04-07, 06:40 PM
Yeah thats what I do as well. I never really know what the person is saying but its almost the tone of their voice which lets me know what the proper response should be. I can force myself to listen tho because I hate letting people down. What I try and do is repeat what they say over in my mind so it sticks that way I am concentrating on the words they are saying.

darkland8
01-15-09, 11:37 PM
ya same here. It's a really handy skill to have at times =p

Mincan
01-15-09, 11:55 PM
I shake my head like an idiot trying to placate speakers to me.

roseblood
01-21-09, 11:24 AM
I still do this and I'm 20 now. I don't even know I'm doing it and have tuned out (or in some cases never tuned in) but I must be pretty convincing because even my mum can't tell the difference. She often doesn't know that I haven't heard her tell me something, or she'll have to ask whether I'm really listening when I actually am.

kwalk
02-01-09, 05:06 PM
I always do the yes and fake laugh too. or the knod. My medication or my mind has seemed to get better at this, but it took a lot of effort in repeating to myself to pay attention over several months. I also have to recognize i'm not even paying attention when i'm being told directions or maybe like something i asked, but a lot of the time it's a bit because my mind is thinking about what they're telling me subject wise, and not on the exact detail of what they're saying to me now. Like i'm processing wht they said earlier and even maybe 10 mins ago, and then i'm like oh crap they're talking to me more about it right now!

so yea I guess i mean it's not always because the attention, it actually can be what you are thinking about at the exact moment! but then again that's daydreaming for ya...

Driver
02-01-09, 06:35 PM
Don't feel bad. People like a good listener, even if they're not paying attention.

Just be thankful you don't have the reverse problem: where you don't nod, smile, etc and simply miss the tone of their voice and respond badly.

Didi
02-06-09, 03:22 AM
Ya... sure... I know what you mean.......Of course.....

samtux
02-19-09, 06:44 PM
Snap exactly the same a laugh or yeah normally does the trick ! Often as well i i havnt been paying attention and just said yes i end up with random cups of tea etc i never knew i asked for !? anyone else get that ?!

Sam

also not related to this thread but how come i cant see a list of threads here but can click on the last updated one from the forum homepage?! do i need to be added to teen forums?

kwalk
02-19-09, 10:48 PM
Snap exactly the same a laugh or yeah normally does the trick ! Often as well i i havnt been paying attention and just said yes i end up with random cups of tea etc i never knew i asked for !? anyone else get that ?!

Sam

also not related to this thread but how come i cant see a list of threads here but can click on the last updated one from the forum homepage?! do i need to be added to teen forums?

lol sam I love how you edited and put sam in the middle! lol totally ADD move there.

um tea thing- this really sucks when your at work and pretend you know what your customer just said and end up not giving them the right thing, and sometimes nowhere near close to it!

samtux
02-20-09, 08:00 AM
ha ha yep this is the one and ive done that before when i had a saturday job haha and yeah well what can i say my thoughts come out in random orders !

mr.lazy
02-20-09, 01:49 PM
Yeh i do same!! When in a group of people i may be like off in god knows where, but i seem to always be able to tell when the other person is expecting a responce like a laugh or a nod or sumin, sumtimes i no exactly wht they said sumtimes i have a slight idea even thou i wasnt paying attention.
Got my old gf ****ed off she always thought i didnt care n wasnt listening cus she thought she bored me :[

ChickenGirl
11-09-10, 07:05 PM
Yes, it really does doesn't it! *laugh* Yeah...

frank-e
11-25-10, 01:16 AM
i always do this. Except when i flirt!