View Full Version : Messy Home = messy mind

Skattered
12-04-07, 08:24 PM
That's how it is w/ me. I am soooo peaceful when the house is clean. But I have 4 kids under the age of 10. And having a clean home is near impossible. The clutter upsets me, makes me angry and depressed and so I hide in my office procrastinating till its so bad I am completely miserable. My complete inability to keep things organized drives me crazy.

I am a cleaning OCD trapped in an ADHD body:(

Matt S.
12-04-07, 08:34 PM
I am in all sorts of disarray when my apartment is a disaster too.

lunaslobo
12-04-07, 10:00 PM
some people have told me the reason I am messy as I am is that I am compulsive and that i get overwhelmed and just give up.

emilybemily
12-06-07, 09:07 PM
That's how it is w/ me. I am soooo peaceful when the house is clean. But I have 4 kids under the age of 10. And having a clean home is near impossible. The clutter upsets me, makes me angry and depressed and so I hide in my office procrastinating till its so bad I am completely miserable. My complete inability to keep things organized drives me crazy.

I am a cleaning OCD trapped in an ADHD body:(
This is me exactly! I am 32, a single mother and I have three kids, age 10, 5 and 2. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the clean house! I feel inspired to cook or start a project or do something else that is peaceful. But the moment the house gets too messy I'm totally overwhelmed. Then I just can't function for a long time (usually until someone rescues me).

I too feel like I'm a perfectionist trapped in an ADD body!

I also want to say what a relief it is for me to hear that other people deal with the same issues. It's not just me. I'm not just lazy afterall.

I just got diagnosed last month, started ritalin and it has helped lots of things, even makes it easier to clean when I want to. Although I'm still very challenged. Have you tried medication?
What is your experience? How long have you been diagnosed? Have you found any ways to keep a house clean? Or recover the house after it's reached that point? Would love to hear from you!

- EmilyBemily

Skattered
12-07-07, 07:45 PM
I am being evaluated on the 17th of this month. No meds yet.

The only thing that helps me clean is an energy drink and intense dance music. usually from the 80s:D.

Is funny becasue when my playlist runs out. I slow down and then just stop. and I don't even realize i have. i sorta putter out. but if I put my tunes back on I'm good to go.

My most successful time housecleaning is when i follow Flylady's lists per room. But instead of 15 minutes I do one room each day. and by the end of the week The rooms are scrubbed.

then i don't do anything for a month. SIGH.

Hey with 2 ad/hd parents and 4 kids, the oldest 2 being def ad/hd how long can I really keep this place in order.

For xmas I wanted someone to come in to do a heavy duty cleaning of the floors baseboards cracks and crevices of the house. I got an estimate over $400. Maybe someday in a land far far away I'll have that $$$ to spare but not now.

Its funny, I thought oh w/ all these daughters(4) I'll have my little helpers and the house will be so tidy. HA!!!! I tell them to do something, they forget by the time they get a room away, and I go into the other room and forget I told them to do something and therefore do not remind them to get it done. :p heheheheheh Sometimes I feel like carrying post its w// me and just leaving notes on the walls and me and the kids. But then I would never remember to take them down.:rolleyes: