View Full Version : Will my doctor ask for unused pills?

luv2increase
12-05-07, 02:12 PM
Well, last week I was put on FocalinXR. I don't like it at all. Too many ups and downs along with no improvement in motivation, focus, or anything. It actually makes me not want to do anything except zone out and do nothing. Anyways, I have inattentive ADD, and I've read that the amphetamines are the way to go for it rather than methylphenidate. I am calling my doctor today, yet it's only been 8 days since prescribed. Will he ask for the unused pills back before prescribing me adderall or dexedrine. He already told me that it will probably take three or four different attempts at different meds until we've found something that works effectively. Will he ask? Will he even switch this soon? Is it normal?

THANKS!

Matt S.
12-05-07, 02:17 PM
I have never heard of a doctor doing that unless the switch was three days after he gave you the prescription.

LittlePrincess
12-05-07, 08:19 PM
Hmmm... Just the other day, someone in the Vyvanse forum said that their doc confiscated their prescription after having a "bad" reaction to the first capsule. That was the first time I had ever heard of a doctor doing that.

QueensU_girl
12-05-07, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't give them to him.

It is dangerous on a few counts.

(a) Physicians have very high rates of drug abuse, for starters. (My SO is in a physician's recovery group. Medicine, dentistry and nursing are high risk occupations for meds misuse.)

(b) Being a physician here in Ontario, my SO gets the quarterly magazine from the licensing college he belongs to. I recently read a copy of the CPSO (college of physicians and surgeons of ontario) magazine. It covered this PRECISE topic. The question was about giving leftover pills [from a patient who returned them to the prescribing physician] to another needy patient [with no drug insurance].

This is potentially dangerous b/c (a) they could be mislabeled, and (b) they are not coming straight from the drug supplier/co or pharmacy, so they could have been tampered with.

What if someone put some cyanide into the Adderall capsules as a joke?

I believe, that under the law, that physician could be charged (at least here in Canada, with a version of non-intentional manslaughter or) what we call "criminal negligence causing death".

Handing out pills is considered to be the controlled act of "dispensing".

There has to be "quality assurance" of the drug that is being given, when one is 'dispensing'.

Imagine if someone returned a vial of "morphine" and it was really water? Same idea.

Several great reasons to not give them to your Doctor. ;)

Matt S.
12-05-07, 09:45 PM
If all else fails, be willing to dump them in front of them.

watts
12-09-07, 11:44 PM
I would bring the bottle with in case the M.D. makes an issue out of getting a new script so soon. However, since you paid for the script they are your meds and you cannot transfer them to anyone except the toilet. If your doctor asks you to hand them over and keeps them this is definitely suspicous. Good luck and let us know what happens.

JR1973
12-10-07, 06:24 PM
The doctor has no right. Probably be a violation of some sort of medical ethics law(s) plus the doctor would be illegally obtaining a controlled substance.

I wouldn't worry about it though.

J

QueensU_girl
12-10-07, 06:26 PM
i think he probably has a right to "SEE" them. e.g. to see that you are not giving out/selling/overusing them.

He has no place asking for them back.

Unused drugs should be disposed of at the pharmacy by the pharmacist him/herself.

StuckUp
12-16-07, 09:07 PM
Why would he want the extra medication? You paid for it and if he doesnt trust your judgement with the extra meds then why will he trust you with new (more) meds. i've never encountered this with a doc and if i did i think i would honestly start laughing and ask if he was out or something...:D So i really wouldnt stress it. good luck

Andrew
12-16-07, 09:14 PM
Will he ask for the unused pills back before prescribing me adderall or dexedrine...Will he ask? Will he even switch this soon? Is it normal?

THANKS!

In all the years of med-taking and many, many doctors...I've never experienced this...regardless of the med (you name the type).

meriellyn
12-17-07, 04:52 PM
I took Concerta for like a day and immediately knew I had to try something else because it was horrible. Had no trouble getting a new script for Adderall and certainly wasn't asked about my excess Concerta.

I'm pretty sure the can't make you give them the meds. I suppose they could request you dispose of them before getting a new prescription but if my doc had that little faith in me, they wouldn't be my doc any longer.

Tara
12-17-07, 06:30 PM
I don't think it's legal for either the doctor or the pharmacy to take the meds back.