View Full Version : Staring

howard
12-06-07, 04:54 PM
Do you stare at people and not realise? OR stare at something and not realise?
I do it all the time and i do it while im going to sleep?
Also i will stare at someone and they will look at me then i get pi**ed that they are looking at me :faint:

Guest1
12-06-07, 05:17 PM
my boyfriend has that problem he has adhd

Matt S.
12-06-07, 05:47 PM
Sometimes I stare at someone and am not really paying attention...

blueyeyore
12-06-07, 06:31 PM
I've done the same thing....It's like I'm zoned out where ever my mind is...I'm not necessarily focusing on that person, but normally they think I am. This one lady I used to work with got real attitudish with me about it...that was 4 years ago. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but no one is giving me attitude about it.

Zach326
12-06-07, 07:44 PM
If some one has a problem with the focus area of your vision, tell them to place a bulls eye on their wall to indicate where your eyes should be looking when you are not tuned in to your visual input stream.

ah09087
12-06-07, 09:44 PM
I always space out while someone is in my line of vision. Then thay're like, "What?" And my ever so witty response is always, "what??" yea...

4gotAgain
12-19-07, 10:16 PM
i do this all the time, i just stare, mostly because I am zoning out thinking about something. People do give me sh*t about it sometimes. I'm improving with it though, thats the main thing.

Paws13
12-22-07, 11:52 AM
I find in my psychology class that I start out looking at the board... then when I "wake up" from my daydream I find myself staring at this guy giving me a weird look, saying "...what?" o_o

Awkward.

QueensU_girl
12-22-07, 12:10 PM
Other problems can cause staring too: e.g. epilepsy ('temporary absence seizures') and dissociative ('space cadet'; there 'but not there') episodes.

QueensU_girl
12-22-07, 12:11 PM
Other problems can cause staring too: e.g. epilepsy ('temporary absence seizures') and dissociative ('space cadet'; there 'but not there') episodes.

ONe thing to do is be proactive about it. Say "oh, sorry, was i looking lost or staring off? I am just REALLY tired." That can help "socially manage" it.

QueensU_girl
12-22-07, 12:14 PM
There used to be this guy who stared at me (looked at people too long in his glances) on the bus I took.

Turned out he was DEAF.

Deaf people [I later learned] need to use a lot more visual information (input) from situations around them, b/c they don't have the sound (auditory info) input from their environments. [I don't speak for deaf people. YMMV.]

I don't think he knew he was being perceived as RUDE or socially intrusive, though. Poor guy.

arkyle
12-22-07, 04:53 PM
I've always done that, but now I think I've mastered the follow the teacher technique in which I'm following him/her with my sight in auto-mode while I'm in the twinlight zone dreaming about elfs eating pasta in the director's desk... :)
Now, even the most clever teacher has problems detecting if I'm in class or not :D

Marty
12-23-07, 10:34 AM
Font that happens a lot, I do get comments about it but if they stay with just comments I don't care.
It is happening more now since I don't get enough sleep. But it happens even if I am fully awake just less.

flo-mo
12-27-07, 12:22 PM
hahaha i think its welll funny, like on the bus and sum little chavs start on you 4 ooking at them hahah its happend on several occassions o well cant be hellllllped :D:D:D:D:D:D

Mohawk1984
12-30-07, 03:26 PM
my boyfriend has that problem he has adhd

Lol, your boyfriend is just following his nature. Almost every man checks out girls even if they have a relationship. Even my girlfriend stared at other guys sometimes and I didnt mind. Its natural, you obsessing about it is not.

Ontopic, I stared at a specific girl in high school when I was very shy. I heard her talking about it to her friend and they said I seemed like a nice/hansom guy. Yet I was still to shy to aproach her lol

y00ch
01-11-08, 02:00 AM
Staring is a bad thing in the U.S. but in other cultures i've heard its actually a compliment.

supersomeone
02-06-08, 08:09 PM
Lol, your boyfriend is just following his nature. Almost every man checks out girls even if they have a relationship. Even my girlfriend stared at other guys sometimes and I didnt mind. Its natural, you obsessing about it is not.

Ontopic, I stared at a specific girl in high school when I was very shy. I heard her talking about it to her friend and they said I seemed like a nice/hansom guy. Yet I was still to shy to aproach her lol
lol
And yes do that all the time usually at the bored that way from a quick glance i look like i am paying action. personally I much prefer my claim add wondering mind land to geometry.

Mary
02-08-08, 01:38 AM
I hate being stared at :( I've actually told people they'd better snap a picture.. so it would last longer ....sigh

Luthien
02-08-08, 03:52 AM
I do it all the time when I'm spaced out. My dad did it as well (got my add from him) .. like when he was playing the piano, I used to sit next to him listening. He'd just play and look at me all the time without actually seeing me :)
I usually take a little care to not stare too much at strangers .. could be awkward.

aloha1983
03-08-08, 01:03 AM
Mo, I wouldn't say martys guy is necessarily checking chicks out, you can just stare into space! :)

I do it occasionally.