View Full Version : Focalin vs. Dexedrine anyone?

rd111234
12-11-07, 10:12 PM
1) What's the mechanism behind how each work?

2) What's known to decrease the Sex drive more if you experience this with Dexedrine?

3) Methylphenidate's are said to have lower side effects than amphetamines. Someone please explain why this can be (also how it could be the other way around).

flatlinez
12-31-07, 02:37 AM
1) Both work to increase levels of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, the two neurotransmitter chemicals that are implicated in the causes of ADHD. Both neurotransmitters promote vigilance (focus for not missing little details) and reward seeking behavior (increased motivation). This is a very, very rough way of putting it, as the true pharmacology behind this is far more complicated and poorly understood. You can read more about it here: http://amphetamines.com/refs/index.html

2) http://amphetamines.com/arousal/index.html

3) Methylphenidate is said to act more on the brain and less on the "peripheral nervous system," which would be the nerves in the rest of your body. Consequently, it has more of the good action (increasing focus in the brain), and less of the bad (increasing muscle tension, etc.)

lars
12-31-07, 06:02 PM
1) What's the mechanism behind how each work?

2) What's known to decrease the Sex drive more if you experience this with Dexedrine?

3) Methylphenidate's are said to have lower side effects than amphetamines. Someone please explain why this can be (also how it could be the other way around).

1) I've never come across anything detailing the mechanism of action methylphenidate, but from what I understand it is considered to be more of a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, compared to amphetamine which is considered to be more of a dopamine agonist. Here's a link detailing a relatively new study about amphetamines molecular action:
http://exploration.vanderbilt.edu/news/news_galli.htm

2) I don't know.

3) Well, Focalin is not the same thing as methylphenidate, anymore than Dexedrine is the same as amphetamine. Anyone who has tried both dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, or tried dextromethylphenidate and methylphenidate can tell you how distinct the differences can be. I found them to be quite stark.

As far as methylphenidate acting less on the PNS than dextroamphetamine, I would have to say that from my experience that was not the case at all.

However, as far as dexmethylphenidate acting less on the PNS than dextroamphetamine, I would have to say that from my experience it's too close to call. They both have a very similar action for me.

In fact the other dextro isomer drug Desoxyn (dextromethamphetamine) is also too close to call when compared to dextroamphetamine and dexmethylphenidate.

It's been my experience that the dextro isomer drugs are so much better for my ADD symptoms than any of the other prescription stimulants available.

meriellyn
12-31-07, 07:45 PM
Adderall way too PNS stimulating for me but I don't find Dexedrine to be that way at all. It seems to be the lack of l-amphetamine that allows that.

I don't find that Dexedrine has much if any affect on my sex drive, sexual arousal, or performance.

I wouldn't say that methylphenidate has fewer side effects. It all depends on the person and the med. Methylphenidate didn't agree with me at all. That being said, Focalin is a single isomer drug like dex and while I would put methylphenidate at the bottom of my "to-try" list if I decided to go off dex, I would be willing to try Focalin if I exausted all my amphetamine options without finding a suitable one.

But for now, I'm quite happy with my nice mild smooth dex. :)

I do know that methylphenidate reacts in the same part of the brain and in similar fashion to cocaine. I think it has more of a DRI/NRI effect than amphetamines. My brain doesn't seem all that keep on the reuptake inhibitor thing. But everyone is different.
I haven't tried Focalin and imagine it would me more like the methylphenidate version of dex (being single isomer and all) so it would probably be different but I have tried Concerta and Adderall. Both gave me less than desirable side effects but the ones I got from Adderall were much more tolerable and the ones I got with Concerta were absolutely unacceptable to me.
I would take Adderall again. I would not touch Concerta with a 10 foot pole. But again, that's just me and my experiences.

I know it's not exactly the technical info you were looking for but maybe some of this is at least slightly informative. :)

lars
12-31-07, 08:14 PM
My brain doesn't seem all that keep on the reuptake inhibitor thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it reminded me of something I forgot to mention before concerning Focalin and Dexedrine.

There's another member here at the forums who had mentioned the sucess he was having using Focalin in combination with Desoxyn. His theory was that since the methylphenidate based drugs are considered to act more like dopamine reuptake inhibitors, and that the amphetamines based drugs are considered to act more like dopamine agonist, that by combining the two drugs together might actually allow for a lower overall dose to be taken to achieve the desired effect. His Dr agreed, and allowed him to try it out. It worked well for him, and to the best of my knowledge it still is.

I was very intrigued by this, so I presented his theory to my Dr. Initially my Dr allowed me to try it out on Desoxyn, and Focalin. I then tried the combination out with Dexedrine, and Focalin. In both cases I achieved the desired effect with a lower overall dose. For example, I found that instead of needing a 20mg dose of Dexedrine, that I could take a 10mg dose of Dexedrine, along with a 5mg dose of Focalin, and the effect was the same if not better than having taken the 20mg dose of Dexedrine. The same was true with Desoxyn.

This may not be worth the trouble from most people's perspective, but after being on these medications for 16 years this coming spring, I think it's normal for a person to begin to develop concerns about issues involving possible long term effects. Especially considering that all the published studies concerning the effects of these drugs that have been done have not involved studies on any long term effects. So, that just leaves anecdotal evidence from people I have met online here and there, and my own experience, which has been a positive experience thus far, but it's not really something that helps me feel like I have nothing to worry about either.

In the end after doing these different combos I just went back on the Dexedrine due to how expensive both the Desoxyn, and the Focalin actually are (they both average about $2.00 per pill). I have student health insurance, but it does not cover my medications. That being said, I certainlly look forward to starting back on one of the combos described above as soon as I am capable of doing so. ;)

flatlinez
01-11-08, 05:46 AM
In further response; I was under the impression that stimulants (or any dopamine enhancing medicine) would improve libido, as dopamine is associated with the feeling of "wanting." However, there may be paradoxical reactions. If you haven't noticed yet, all of these medicines are very crude technology and their mechanisms are very poorly understood.

meriellyn
01-11-08, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it reminded me of something I forgot to mention before concerning Focalin and Dexedrine.

Whoops... typo. :P That should have said "keen."
I've noticed, after trying various serotonin, norepiniephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor-type meds, that the effect just doesn't seem to work well for me.
It also doesn't seem to like meds that work largely on serotonin.

dukewizard1986
02-04-08, 11:37 PM
Dexedrine does act more like a dopamine agonist but it also has dopamine re-uptake inhibiting abilities. Sometimes when describing the effects of amphetamines in general that mechanism of action gets left out of the discussion.:)

person2person
08-06-09, 03:11 PM
In further response; I was under the impression that stimulants (or any dopamine enhancing medicine) would improve libido, as dopamine is associated with the feeling of "wanting." However, there may be paradoxical reactions. If you haven't noticed yet, all of these medicines are very crude technology and their mechanisms are very poorly understood.

stimulants generally enhance sex drive as a result of increased NE and DA release. They are also vasoconstrictors however, and can cause anxiety which can affect libido. Amphetamine in particular is also a mild MAOI which means that effects all monoamines to some extent, having potential MAOI side effects.