View Full Version : Calling out

Proud2BAteacher
12-15-07, 06:34 PM
Hi all,
Once again, I need another explanation of WHY this issue is happening. Whenever I post here I ALWAYS get a great one!

Why do my students with ADHD call out the answers and simply butt into what I am saying?

What are your ways to handle students that call out?

I was trying so hard yesterday to ignore a particular student that persisted on calling out and interrupting me. If I ignored his answers(which were ALWAYS right) he would say them louder.

What type of hand signal can I use with him to know he needs to wait?

I need help, I cannot handle the disruptions.

Thanks
:confused:

Tara
12-15-07, 09:08 PM
It's because you triggered a great some great thoughts in their heads and if they don't get it out at that moment they will probably forget it. Do you ever try raising your own hand when students call out? That can help both the students who call out and the innatentive ones too.

Proud2BAteacher
12-15-07, 10:07 PM
It's because you triggered a great some great thoughts in their heads and if they don't get it out at that moment they will probably forget it. Do you ever try raising your own hand when students call out? That can help both the students who call out and the innatentive ones too.

Yes, sometimes I do raise my hand and they just smile back...I never thought how that can help the innattentive type as well.

Thanks so much for responding so fast!

Proud2BAteacher
12-16-07, 08:28 PM
Anyone else?

QueensU_girl
12-17-07, 02:11 AM
A few factors:

And the answer(s) are very complicated...

A whole neurology lesson (which I won't give) but here are the BASICS.

-impulsivity (frontal lobe controls the brain's "brakes"; some call this shooting (speaking) w/o thinking phenomenon --> "READY, FIRE, AIM".) ;)

-memory problems (ADDers have working memory problems; if we don't "say it", we'll "lose it" r/t their memory deficits; say it before it's gone!)

-issues with low frustration tolerance (can't wait; internal distress ensues)

-hyperactivity (can be manifested verbally). Drs. Quinn and Nadeau mention "Chatty Cathy" kids (particularly female). They are NOT physically hyperactive as are young ADHD boys -- but they are "verbally hyper" ('won't shut up'; they interrupt in social settings; intrude socially; others may avoid them for being bossy)

-disinhibition issues (alcohol does this too; our brain's function is as much about NOT doing things, as it is abot DOING (initiating) things. e.g. if we did not have a brain system to inhibit (motor) movement, our limbs would flop all about wildly when we tried to walk (think Huntington's chorea, etc.) Same goes for all thoughts (cognitive brain), emotions (affective brain) and motor brain (movement).

Teaching some MINDFULNESS and BREATHING and GROUNDING exercises can help kids learn to "self-pace" (return to calm assertive state) rather than entering a high energy state.

Also, do not reward them by answering the hyperactive high energy student.

Reward calmness and patience.

Tell them you will not answer or listen to people who call out impulsively.

For more on this, read Cesar Millan's dog training books or see his DVDs.

Animals are just like humans.

It's all about CONDITIONING (a fancy psychological term for ... learning and training).

Only reward them in the 'calm assertive' state, to REINFORCE them returning to the 'CALM ASSERTIV'E state of being. NEVER ever reinforce the high energy/agitated/angry/overexcited/anxious state!!!

For more on this (person to person mood/energy level control), you also read up on "interpersonal neurobiology".

Tiddlywinks
12-17-07, 04:12 PM
Queensugirl beat me to the punch. I "know" this information, but struggle with it's application. So, I thought I would add with this:

Reward students near the hyperactive students by stating, "Jenny, I like the way you raised your hand." The student will catch on quickly, But you must be quick to notice it. As soon as they engage in the desired behavior, let them know, "Bobby I like the way you sitting quitely and raising your hand."

I also agree about the dog training!

jc10101
01-01-08, 11:41 PM
i have to agree with the above already said, i'm out of high school (27 now) and i hope what i say is something to think about. some people with adhd/aspergers/add usually everyone in this catagory is not the same, such as one person may blurt out answers and the other one that just is nervous (and wants to be left alone)(this was me in school) I had good early intervention in my young years to fix most of the issues. but based on what you defined i strongly suggest that you look up positive re-inforcement dog training in google. I'v done many years of dog training and i see many benefits of it related to dog training that could help in this situation.

i never did like the answering of questions infront of students (kind of shocked) to hear this is happening with a student of yours. . but i guess everyone is different. what level do you teach? anyways i would just tell the student that 1. (hey i know you know the answer already) but please give another student a chance to answer it ). usually for me, dont know about others, but in school i was proud of the teacher saying something good about me. 2. or perhaps make it where students have to raise there hands within 5 seconds. and pick someone quickly. Anyway this may take sometime to get fixed, but you do need to remember that those with adhd usually get the answer quicker then the other students (cause some of them have a photographic kind of memory. they would know the answer instantly, but the longer they keep it in there mind, they will lose it, and totally forgot what it was. like for me, i can do something i enjoy all day (on the computer or visually) but if it's from text books, etc i would have a hard time remembering it. i really do think that schools should allow students to bring laptops (with headsets) and do some creative stuff related to there classes (that is usually where adhd students excel at) when it's visual.