View Full Version : Organization ideas

cpl.maniac
12-18-07, 06:01 PM
My first post. I'm 36 and recently diagnosed, but have known for awhile. I enjoy having ADD I consider it a gift for my creativity. I'm trying to find ideas for my organization problems. I can't get into PDA's. Too many bells and whistles. Distractions.
I figure I'd ask what everyone here uses and maybe get some great ideas.
I for one have and use now the Fly Lady system. Yes, I'm a guy. It works well with routines. And I've played with GTD. Now I use index cards (HPDA) and and capturing device. Usually my cell phone recorder or a small notebook.

Thanks for your time.

Walt

sputnik
12-18-07, 07:36 PM
I'm using GTD as well. I'm using a simple mobile phone (sony ericsson w800i), programmed it to start recording a voice memo with 1 button, and writing a new text message with another button (which I don't send, but save as a draft). Every morning when starting work, I gather those notes, along with any tasks I distill from my e-mail inbox, and put all todos on a list. I use the mac application iGTD. But that's turning into a pile of lists I'm avoiding, I cannot find time for a weekly review so it's just another terrifying pile of things I'm afraid to look into...

QueensU_girl
12-18-07, 08:08 PM
what are GTD and HPDA?

Some people use visual displays (color coded schedules or document holders) as prompts.

e.g. if you had kids, give each kid a color

What are you trying to organize?

1. Time/Schedules?
2. Spaces?
3. Materials Management/Things?
4. Tasks?
5. Task completion (e.g. breaking down parts of tasks to make them more manageable/estimate time to finish parts)

[/list]

cpl.maniac
12-19-07, 10:32 AM
Basically time management, routines, and tasks. An HPDA is a hipster PDA.Basically it's just a stack of note cards held together with a binder clip. T Ceck out www.43folders.com to get that. And GTD is a productivity system created by David Allen callen Getting Things Done. It's a great book. You can find it on Amazon. Just Google GTD or Getting Things Done and you'll find a whole new world.

DeloresMelon
12-19-07, 07:28 PM
I have tried Fly Lady, Franklin Covey planners, various software, etc. etc.
The ONLY thing that I am able to use consistently is a notebook. I keep one nearby at all times. I write everything down. Grocery lists, things to look up online, things to talk about when I call so and so, a list of things I need to get done during the day, appointments, etc. I also have a huge calender in the kitchen that I somehow learned to use. It's appointment central and I guess because it's near a phone and a pencil, I manage to get things written down. If it's not on that calendar though, it's a sure bet I'm going to forget.

I still use the timer approach courtesy of fly lady. I also have a 12 alarm watch for extra busy days. Admittedly, all that's taken a holiday thanks to the holiday. I've been trying to get Christmas stuff done so my normal "abnormal" routine is helter skelter at the moment.

Chisana
12-28-07, 09:35 PM
The ONLY thing that I am able to use consistently is a notebook.

Same here, I used a PDA for a while, but i would forget to charge it...or to even bring it with me. Also where i lived (Alaska) i would leave it in the car, and being in -40 below over night isn't good for electronics. Notebooks work the best for me when used in conjunction with a at home calender. Main thing is to remember to write down that days info in the calender every day.

munky_do
01-03-08, 02:04 PM
I for one have and use now the Fly Lady system. Yes, I'm a guy. It works well with routines. And I've played with GTD. Now I use index cards (HPDA) and and capturing device. Usually my cell phone recorder or a small notebook.

Thanks for your time.

Walt

I've just started this system... do you actually clean your sink out every day?? That seems to be her bottom line... doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally, the kitchen sink doesn't mess up my chi like having to stare at toothpaste globs and plucked eyebrow hairs and gawd knows what else first thing in the morning does.

cpl.maniac
01-03-08, 04:46 PM
I do clean my sink everyday. My wife finds it humorous. It kind of helps me. Like when it seems like everything else is out of control I can at least clean the sink and feel like I've accomplished something. I really just pick and choose from both systems. What works best for me. I carry a 8.5 x11 monthly calendar in my messenger bag. My nephew calls it my murse (man purse). I like seeing everything at one time. So I actually put Lau/w or Lau/d on a specific day to let me know. Today I need to do laundry/ whites. Stupid little things like that with my own little code words to save space but to trigger my mind. I just got a really cool vibrating watch for Christmas that has helped a heap. For you guys, they sell a casio for fisherman and hunters with 5 vibrating alarms. You can even make it date specific. I'm not sure how expensive but it is a casio I'm pretty sure she got it at Walmart. Everytime my wrist tingles I state that my Spidey sense is going off. Better get moving before something bad happens.
Just got into using 3x5 post its also. Big enough to fit in my back pocket for quick notes and its a post it to stick anywhere that will be in my face.
I need things high speed and low drag. A habit from the Marine Corps. I don't like to be bogged down.
Cell phone with contacts in it with the numbers re-written in the back of my calendar for back up. everything written in my one calendar, the use of 3x 5 post its, and the watch for reminders. If I set my alarm I'll write something like 1030 AM do supply list, in my calendar. So I don't go "Now why did I set this alarm."
And my little MP3 player. RCA 37 bucks. I'm currently listening to a great book, I also have the Rosary downloaded on it and about 4-5 CD's on it. Helps with remembering my prayer, and helps to fight off distractions

So far so good.
Sorry it's so long.
BTW I take no meds. Yeah, I'm ADD and my wife is OCD. Our life is one wild ride.

c___
03-04-08, 01:02 PM
My first post.
So we have two things in common already. ;-) Welcome to the forums!

I'm 36 and recently diagnosed, but have known for awhile.I know how it feels, I am 30 years old and was diagnosed last year.

I enjoy having ADD I consider it a gift for my creativity. I'm trying to find ideas for my organization problems. I can't get into PDA's. Too many bells and whistles. Distractions.
I figure I'd ask what everyone here uses and maybe get some great ideas.

Thanks for your time.

WaltThings that help me are a small organizer, basically just a notebook (the kind made out of paper) that has space for the whole year but fits into my backpocket. I carry that with me always.

I guess it works for a lot of people but I wouldn't want to rely on electronic devices for my schedule, when there is the risk of low batteries, etc. But that's just me. Still the notebook is just for reference (and to write down new appointments), because at the start of each day, I'll make a list of things I need to do on a small peace of paper that I carry around me always.

The next day I take a last look at that (in case I could not finish all the tasks), when I prepare the next reminder and then simply throw it away. Works fine for me. :)

Ulukabulu
03-04-08, 05:26 PM
For me I use my mobile phone as an alarm clock - I tend to just routinely set it to go off every 20 or 30 minutes to avoid both hyperfocus on unimportant tasks and boredom with the important but boring ones. Of course I switch it off or on silent (vibrate) mode when I'm on company so's they don't get upset by my rather loud alarms.

For the rest I too use the simple old handwritten to-do list and have my little notebook with me everywhere. Nothing beats the satisfaction of physically crossing or ticking off items on a list.

Then I have a 'star chart' (not actual stars, though :) ). For every small task I complete or every 20 minutes spent on a larger task I give myself a brownie point.

spirited_away
03-09-08, 06:57 AM
i am 25 and recently diagnosed with ADD, and i also consider it as rather gift, i just need to lean managing "side effects" :-)

as to organising, despite my life-long love affair with gadgets of all sorts and sizes, i do trust my finances and important dates to a paper calendar - the one with whole month on 2pages, each day is a square smaller then 1x1 inch, but it's enough for abbreviated important notes and when i open it i see weeks and months ahead, comparing to the weekly planners with only 1 week on 2 pages,

i copy recurring stuff to Google calendar and maintain my immigration tracking there too, very useful, color coded, functional and free

as to my Sprint PDA with full keboard - i gave up on Microsoft Mobile Outlook and use it for checking e-mail and fast internet (cell or wi-fi) on the go, i hate microsoft's everything now and i hope to get next generation of i-phone, hopefully with better calendar and alarms.

i also find great use in Mac's Stickies - also color coded, floating (sticky) notes, easy to resize, roll up and move around screen.

planning to try the iGTD and mindmapping i found here couple minutes ago :-)

Leigha01
05-28-08, 10:33 PM
I use My tiny BlackBerry Pearl, It allows me to schedule all of my kids athletic and academic events and i enter the bill payment reminders in tasks (the few that are not auto pay from my account). My cell phone is the only thing that I can't leave home without, so it is always with me, I can schedule work appts and tasks as well as my personel that way. Everything is in one place.

garykelly
06-03-08, 05:57 PM
You absolutely must get the book "ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life". All the AD/HD books that talk about organization just rehash the same stuff that is told to "normal" people. This book has organizational strategies aimed specifically to the person with AD/HD. It's a must have.

yaya
06-04-08, 01:33 PM
You absolutely must get the book "ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life". All the AD/HD books that talk about organization just rehash the same stuff that is told to "normal" people. This book has organizational strategies aimed specifically to the person with AD/HD. It's a must have.

I agree! I own it as well and cannot but confirm that it is the easiest to read and implement in your life. Also, the pages and chapters are formatted in such ADD-friendly ways that it actually delivers. Yes, it's a must have!

KGif
08-13-08, 12:16 PM
I agree! I own it as well and cannot but confirm that it is the easiest to read and implement in your life. Also, the pages and chapters are formatted in such ADD-friendly ways that it actually delivers. Yes, it's a must have!

Another rec for this book. I've had quite a few "Ahhh-HA! So THATS Why I'm like that!" moments with that book. Of course, I got sidetracked by a project at home a while ago and stopped reading it - put it aside - then found it weeks later under a pile of junk having completly forgot that I started reading it. Hey - baby steps, right!? :)

curseandablessi
08-13-08, 02:46 PM
I like that one, not the easiest read, but I like it. There's one with pictures, Organizing for people with ADHD that is a good first read, with some explanations, that are great when the light bulb of hey I have ADD are just going off.

I threw out a ton of carp diddly the first week after reading it. I labelled the house, most of it, kitchen and bathroom and dresser drawers, places that stuff is used and has to be put back a lot.

DADHD
06-20-10, 07:06 PM
I just started using a small quarter page notebook and put dates on each page. Basically just a little organizer. But that way I can put my appointments in there that have times attached to them or birthdays and what not. I also make sure that those same things are in Google Calendar. I still will use the 3x5 cards for my todo list though. They are just so perfect to fit in the pocket and pull out. If my todo list is buried behind a cover, I might not look at it.