View Full Version : no schizophrenia posters?

halospawn
12-20-07, 04:24 PM
surely i'm not the only one here http://addforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Matt S.
12-25-07, 07:59 PM
I have extensive experience with Psychotic Mania if that counts

netsavy006
01-04-08, 11:27 PM
As far as I know I don't have schizophrenia but I did go through a psychotic episode as a result of my mixed episode of bipolar recently. I saw roaches all over the floor in the hospital and I had to adjust my medications in the hospital. I'm doing much better now.

QueensU_girl
01-04-08, 11:32 PM
People with schizophrenia tend to have executive function problems like an ADDer does.

Question: the theory is that people with schizophrenia have high dopamine levels (essentially). However, people with ADD have low dopamine levels (essentially). (I say essentially b/c these are 'receptor issues' -- not just chemical levels.)

Can a person with schizophrenia take dopamine-boosting stimulants? I remember learning in school (amphetamine model of schizophrenia/psychosis) that it is contraindicated.

umami
01-13-08, 02:14 AM
QueensU_girl,

I have had the same question for a few weeks, myself--more as a Gedanksexperiment than anything else. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask my pdoc last week...

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it the meso-limbic system in which excessive dopaminergic (& according to more recent evidence, serotonergic-) signaling is thought to give rise to the positive/negative symptoms associated with schizophrenia?

It seems the real question that remains to be answered is specifically what dopaminergic pathways are consistently aberrant in people who suffer form schizophrenia and how do these pathways differ in people with ADHD or amphetamine-induced psychosis...?

It seems pretty clear that the Dopamine hypothesis is an overly simplistic theory... it reminds me of a quote attributed to Albert Einstein, "Everything should be made as simple as it is, but not simpler." The reductionist approach prevalent in science can only lead so far...

Honeybunnie8
02-07-08, 07:35 PM
I work with lots of people who have schizophrenia if that counts. :)

dyingInside
02-07-08, 08:51 PM
Is there a strong familial relationship between the three (ADD/BP/Schizophrenia)? (Maybe I don't want to know!) Runs in the family but lucky so far... As Meatloaf said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Halo, I hope you get the treatment you need and that you don't have to live like my Grandpa did.