View Full Version : Concept and Mind Mapping Software

alwaysonthego
12-20-07, 06:38 PM
Anyone know of any good and free concept mapping or mind mapping software?

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 06:54 AM
Yes I know of one that I use, but its only a free trial. I think the trial lasts for 30 days or so.

I reckon its really easy and quick to use, especially using the shortcut keys like pressing 'insert' on your keyboard for a new branch, and you can switch around from branches using the arrow keys. Basically, its quick :)

Oh and having downloaded it and used it twice on two different computers, I can say that to my knowledge the software is safe and virus free.

Here's the website if you're interested:

www.visual-mind.com

Xero
01-27-08, 05:18 PM
Freemind. Do a google for it. Its fantasic. Steve

adhdmom123
07-23-08, 09:15 PM
Consider www.Inspiration.com (http://www.Inspiration.com). It is not free. But it is worth the cost. My favorite features: one click turns your visual brainstorm into an outline; and it comes with templates that help structure typical writing projects -- like a biography or comparison/contrast essay.

ResilientFighter
07-23-08, 10:48 PM
sorry, what does this have to do with ADHD? :/

Imnapl
07-23-08, 10:54 PM
http://www.visual-mind.com/index.php

If you go to the website, all will be revealed to you.

mykill
07-23-08, 10:58 PM
I tried looking at the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map), but i saw Heinlein mentioned on there and my brain ran off and left me.

It sounds like an intriguing concept, how do those of you that use it actually apply it? What types of things do you organize, and how do you use the info after it is mapped?

Louder Than Love
07-23-08, 11:14 PM
Excellent resources, Theres so much inner dialouge floating around in the noggin' though, I really neednt confuse it with radically advanced literature.

Imnapl
07-23-08, 11:34 PM
It sounds like an intriguing concept, how do those of you that use it actually apply it? What types of things do you organize, and how do you use the info after it is mapped?My children are now adults, but they were taught how to make and use concept / mind maps while still quite young. I believe that ADHDers have a natural talent form making concept maps. Concept maps are used to organize information for writing a paper or study for an exam. I know a high school science teacher who expects her students to make notes in concept map style.

Here (http://www.azteachscience.co.uk/code/development/concept_mapping2/images/conceptMap_child_big.jpg) is an example of a young child's concept map.

Imnapl
07-23-08, 11:42 PM
sorry, what does this have to do with ADHD? :/I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

mykill
07-24-08, 01:12 AM
My children are now adults, but they were taught how to make and use concept / mind maps while still quite young. I believe that ADHDers have a natural talent form making concept maps. Concept maps are used to organize information for writing a paper or study for an exam. I know a high school science teacher who expects her students to make notes in concept map style.

Here (http://www.azteachscience.co.uk/code/development/concept_mapping2/images/conceptMap_child_big.jpg) is an example of a young child's concept map.

Thanks for the example, i guess i would need to give it a try to see if it would be useful for me. Sometimes i think in a very linear pattern, lists are easy. Other times i can't get the thoughts to fall in line. On the surface, this looks like another way to stay organized, i would have two tools that achieve the same goal in different means in different conditions. But i still don't quite see how the map would be used. You have thoughts on paper, and i think i see how the map would be created... but how those translate into usable data still hasn't quite clicked in my head yet.

Thanks, I'm going to keep working on this.

Justtess
07-25-08, 12:22 AM
It sounds like an intriguing concept, how do those of you that use it actually apply it? What types of things do you organize, and how do you use the info after it is mapped?

:raises hand and jumps up: can I explain how I use concept maps?

I do this all the time since my high school teacher explained it to me about 20 years ago.

Linear thinking people arrange ideas in a form like a time line or list.

I find myself to be more global. There is a central idea, however, several timelines branch out from the center. From those branches, more ideas may branch out further. The ideas are in a list of words, symbols or quick sketches.

Why do I do this? Well, when I am trying to create something, I think I have too many ideas in my head. If I list them down with a mind map, I'll start going more towards achieving my goal. I can retrive smaller ideas by glancing over my mind map.

If I don't do this.... there's too many ideas and thoughts and I end up where I started... except now I'm tired.

(BTW: I haven't been diagnosed ADHD. My doc told me at my last visit... possibly:confused:

mykill
08-13-08, 06:20 PM
OMG! i finally got settled enough to start using the visual mind trial i dl'd about 3 weeks ago :/

The first couple of times i looked at it, i just got all overwhelmed and closed it. Today i spent about an hour tooling around with it and let me just say that it is the most incredible tool i have seen in a very long time. It looks like i will be able to keep track of every aspect of a project in one place... and i can link to every document in the project! That's the best part, and will save me so much time looking for files and clicking through the current directory structure i use to keep things organized.

Thanks a bunch to those that brought it up and did some explainin'

MSMSMS
09-18-12, 02:39 PM
Just downloaded the trial and have high hopes! What's funny is that I ONLY use graph paper when writing notes and already somewhat follow a mapping technique without knowing it. Hopefully this will help keep my notes organized! And it seems to be easy to go back and shift an item around if it would be better categorized another way.

Drewbacca
09-18-12, 04:18 PM
I'm working through the mind-mapping book at the moment, it definitely addresses what I consider more my style of note taking. Likewise, I'm all about the graph paper.

Perhaps you should start a new thread and keep us up to date and write a review of the software, MSMSMS.

Flory
09-18-12, 05:27 PM
i use mind view 4.0 and dragon naturally speaking 11.0(voice recognition sofware-due to my processing and working memory problems associated with dyspraxia and adhd)..unfrotunately these weren't free :( i dont know of any decent free ones...usually they are only trial versions also if they are free

T-Rex65
09-19-12, 12:05 PM
I downloaded the trial version of Visual Mind yesterday, and I've been poking around some websites that show examples of mind maps. It looks cool, and I see how it could be a useful tool in creating maps that explain hierarchies, relationships, and concepts to other people. However, I still don't have a clue how I could use it to make my own life easier. Will this come to me as I play with it? Do any of you have specific examples where mind mapping helped you get organized in a way that traditional to-do lists don't?