View Full Version : Just got prescribed

offroadxj07
12-21-07, 02:00 PM
I just got prescribed to focalin this morning by my psych. I am on 20mg xr. I have yet to take it and after reading more and more on the drug it seems like it may not be the best choice for me. I already have anxiety problems, and I am currently on prozac to help decrease them. Is anxiety a very common side effect of focalin? My psych said it is less likely to make me more anxious then adderall would.

offroadxj07
12-21-07, 02:43 PM
Just filled my prescription and took one. I will post tonight on how I felt during the day.

PS. 50 dollars for prescription with insurance, is this drug relativly new because that is pretty high

offroadxj07
12-21-07, 05:24 PM
I took the focalin about an hour and a half ago and can tell some major differences so far. At first I got irritated easily(nothing new because I have had anger issues for years) then as an hour or so passed I have become very calm. I am not very sleepy but I am very relaxed. I find myself gazing off often though. I have found that it has changed my driving quiet a bit. Usually I am constantly changing lanes and looking in my mirrors and alert of what is happening around me. While on it I am not as alert of what is around me but more what is in front of me, I seem to stare at the back of the car in front of me and just drive. My driving has changed to basically how my mom drives but I feel safer with how I used to but it is not a big deal. Later I plan on sitting down and reading a book just to see if I can stick to it and actually comprehend what I read. I will post about how this goes later.

meriellyn
12-21-07, 05:29 PM
Good luck. :)
It can take a few days/weeks for your meds to even out and for you to adjust. Also, there's often an adjustment period for finding the right dose.
Don't get discouraged if this one doesn't seem ideal. Sometimes the dose makes the difference and there are plenty of other options if this one doesn't work for you.

offroadxj07
12-22-07, 02:44 AM
I never ended up trying to read or anything because I had plans with a girlfriend. I did notice that I came down after about 6 hours in which I was very moody. I took another to last me through the night though. Other then being moody I havent really had any side effects besides sweating more then usual but I am guessing this will go away or decrease as my body gets used to the medicine

lars
12-22-07, 04:40 PM
50 dollars for prescription with insurance, is this drug relativly new because that is pretty high
Yes, this is a new drug relatively speaking compared to the other stimulant medications.

However, there is now a generic of this drug made by Teva pharmacueticals that is available.

Teva is the initial generic company that is allowed to make it. After they get their 6 month initial window of exclusive distribution of the generic, other companies will then be allowed to manufacture their own generic versions of Focalin, and as a result the price should drop accordingly.

offroadxj07
12-27-07, 11:47 PM
Does Focalin make others feel tired? I feel tired when I take it. I mean I usually am pretty tired anyways but it seems to get worse after I take it. I still end up staying up super late and sleeping in real late but I just feel like I could go to sleep

lars
12-28-07, 01:02 AM
Does Focalin make others feel tired?
Probably so.

It did not do that to me, but it seems that we do often respond to these things in our own unique ways.

The paradoxical reaction to a stimulant drug like you are describing tends to occur with each of the prescription stimulant drugs to one degree or another. The difference tends to be which drug, and which person that has been diagnosed with ADD.

For example, Adderall caused me to feel pronounced sedation. None of the other prescription stimulants ever caused me to feel like that.

I wish I knew why, but the only answer I have ever gotten from those who are "in the know" so to speak is that, "you are obviously experiencing a paradoxical reaction." To which I would then think to myself, "duh." :rolleyes:

flatlinez
01-10-08, 12:12 AM
Interesting note about the generic, however the XR won't be up for generic approval for another... uh, <year of Focalin XR release> - <year of Focalin IR release>, whatever that may be, assuming the generic patent laws haven't changed recently.

Lars: While I usually prefer pharmacology and citing abstracts and all that, the most intuitively appealing explanation I've heard is that the ADDer's brain is like a piston engine that misfires. With medicine the whole thing runs a lot more smoothly and so we become calm and so our thoughts quiet down. Unfortunately this can make the brain hum along too smoothly and so that puts one in a sleepy mood. In more technical terms, some regions of the ADD brain are overactive to compensate for under-activity in other areas (the pre-frontal cortex, mainly, as the seat of executive function). With medicine the under-active regions begin to perform and the rest of the brain no longer has to work in over-drive, hence the calming effect.

offroadxj07
01-13-08, 02:38 AM
I am no longer drowsy like I was when I first started taking focalin. The only real side effects I have noticed now are loss of apetite which I know is common and also that I crave nicotine more. Before I started taking focalin I would only dip maybe once a day sometimes not at all. Now it has jumped to at least 5 times a day. Sometimes I will take a dip out and then crave one within 10 minutes.