View Full Version : Looking for way to have insurance pay for professional organizing

iluvpoodles
12-22-07, 02:20 PM
Hi...I'm new to this forum. I need help w/PILES and since professional organizers are expensive I'm trying to figure a way for insurance to pay for it. There must be a ADD therapist (with professional organizing experience) in Seattle area that is willing to organize my office and home. I think it would be very difficult to get insurance to pay directly for a professional organizer so I'm trying to find a back door here. Does anyone have any contacts or ideas?

Thanks and I look forward to visiting this forum often!

DeloresMelon
12-22-07, 03:06 PM
Most people can't get insurance to cover actual medical costs that are very much needed. If you find a loophole THAT large... I want the name of that company.

Any reason you can't do it yourself one small bit at a time?

Tara
12-22-07, 04:46 PM
Why not go the other route and try to find somebody to help you organize who you can afford. I don't think you have much of a chance to get health insurance to cover professional organizing. Maybe instead try putting your energy into coming up with a creative way to find somebody to help you. Maybe just start by paying a high school or college student about $10 per hour to just come in and work with you.

Have you read this article about the Body Double concept?
http://www.add.org/articles/body_double.html
A body double might be an great alternative!

You might also consider contacting http://www.nsgcd.org/ and let them know that because you have ADHD you can't afford the regular rates of most professional organizers. I really think people with ADHD need to make their voices heard and let these types of organizations understand how much ADHD affects finances!

DeloresMelon
12-22-07, 05:35 PM
Thinking about this more... pre-Adderall, sometimes all it would take was someone helping me for me to get started.

Obviously someone that does NOT have ADD would be best. lol

My mom would come over and she could look at my overwhelming mess and see a small spot and just start there. Me, I'd look at the whole thing and freeze, not knowing where to start. So, she'd start and tell me to do something, like sort one small pile. 9 times out of 10 that's all it took for me to get going. Sort of like my own jump start. Occasionally I'd get going because I thought she was doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

Maybe a close friend or relative could come over regularly and just get you going. Now that I've been on Adderall/Dexedrine for a few months, my house is now totally organized, and I've moved on to organizing my girlfriends house. I can't seem to stop organizing. lol

um.. where do you live?? lol

Tweetie411
12-23-07, 02:28 AM
Unfortunately, I agree with others that it's highly unlikely the insurance company would cover this. I hope that you can figure something out though. Maybe you could swap favors with someone else and have them help you organize.

iluvpoodles
12-23-07, 12:16 PM
Thanks ALL for your feedback. I think I like the idea of that body double. I'll ask my best friend to come over and she can hold the gun to my head! :O

Tweetie411
01-25-08, 01:46 AM
The container store is a wonderful resource for organization. They can help ANYONE organize their lives. Buying containers to put everything in a place has helped me tremendously.

spirited_away
03-09-08, 06:24 AM
Have you read this article about the Body Double concept?
http://www.add.org/articles/body_double.html
A body double might be an great alternative!
omg! i knew it was true! simple presence of a person in a room doing their own stuff quietly helped me too! thank you so much for this article!