View Full Version : Nurse practitioner gave me Geodon

Spongedaddy
12-26-07, 03:29 PM
The Lithium gave me sweats and she was about to give me Depakote, when I remembered MSPEn talking about anti-psychotics. I mentioned it to her and she gave me Geodon instead. I went online and read that this drug can give you a heart condition???? WTF???? DOn't know what I am going to do.

Just looked at some reviews at http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatments/rating/geodon-for-bipolar-ii-disorder?page=4&view=treatment
and this drug is scary. BTW on the instructions it talks about how it may cause DEATH in edler patients with dementia. Always nice when death is in the first paragraph of a drug's pammphlet.

Andi
12-26-07, 09:59 PM
I have been on Geodon off and on for a few years now and I believe I'm still alive, heart is still ticking. In fact, I have been known to have palps and arrhythmia before the med and thus far, nothing detrimental

When warnings are given it's always there to represent the "possibility" and that can be scary. If you are a healthy individual without a preexisting heart condition or dementia, chances are you'll be ok.

I actually was on lithium and missed several months of my life due to a zombie like coma, functioned but have absolutely no recollection of anything. Lamictal and Geodon initially were a poor mix since my depression was debilitating. Slept for hours and didn't want to move. I'm on the cocktail again, 80mgs Geodon, 400 Lamictal and have not had the same side effects.

Hope this helps.

QueensU_girl
12-26-07, 10:04 PM
Ask for an EKG.

Any drug you are given that can cause rhythm changes deserves an EKG once you are on it.

Not all arrhythmias are known to a person (e.g. perceived to be palpitations [heart pounding in chest] or tachycardia [racing heartbeat]).

My SO's guitar teacher (age 27) just dropped dead of an arrhythmia last year, so I have learned to take arrhythmia risks (and any drugs that CAN change heart rhythm) seriously.

Go back and ask the NP for an EKG requisition?

QueensU_girl
12-26-07, 10:06 PM
I just asked dr. x here and he says Geodon (ziprasidone) is N/A in Canada. Not approved by Health Canada. Doesn't know if it needs an EKG or not.

Again, talk to your NP.

QueensU_girl
12-26-07, 10:25 PM
The elderly "dementia and death risk" warning would not likely apply to you.

The situation with this "warning" would take quite some background explanation about dementias and the downward spirals that sedated elderly dementing folks can take.

Often nursing homes use drugs to "control" behavioural problems (like night-time wandering and "sundowning") in dementia pts. Dementia pts start to become disoriented and confused and can become agitated and confused. Some even attack staff.

(These drugs are often used by the institution as "chemical restraints". Nursing homes have the smallest budgets and lowest trained staff and fewest staff, of all. Geriatrics, unlike, say, Surgery, is not what you'd call "sexy medicine" -- not a field that gets the best resources or funding.)

So they can easily just kind of dehydrate (dangerous and easily happens in the elderly) and fade away.

Being extremely chemically sedated means people are at risk of developing "complications" from staying in bed drugged out of their minds. They get severe bedsores (which can cause sepsis & organ failures/death ), or other opportunistics infections and DVTs (which are blood clots in limbs, and can move to the leg/lungs/brain/heart)

For example, with the lungs, never fully inhaling or exhaling, and laying in bed 24/7 -- means that a person gets pools of gunk growing in the bottoms of their lungs. :( Ideal environment for pneumonia.

Many "lines" used in bed bound people (stomach tubes, IVs and catheters) are just "highways for infection" to be carried into people's bodies.

Also, antipsychotics are very powerful drugs. Little old people lose their 'kidney clearance' abilities (GFR) for excreting drugs. The drugs which would be cleared fine by young folks, can build up to toxic levels in them. :S

Elderly people should be given more pediatric-like doses of drugs, probably.

They just can't deal with drugs the way younger people can... and death is a risk when a little person is over-drugged AND demented -- to the point of being unable to communicate any issues and health threats they are encountering.

Anyway, it isn't always just ONE THING: but moreso a cascade of interventions and complications that conspire to lead to elderly dementia pts deaths. Not just the "drug" alone.

Matt S.
12-26-07, 11:00 PM
Ask for an EKG.
One of the times I was on Geodon I had this done.

The Geodon warning is like the Adderall warning, it is meant to be avoided if one already has a pre-existing medical condition. Geodon is the best of the AP's for me.

Spongedaddy
12-27-07, 08:19 AM
A lot of the people who wrote reviews said that the meds actually made their anxiety worse after a few months. Some people said it helped them a lot. It looked like there were more that had problems than not. One of my other choices at this point is Depakote. I am going to give this some thought.

I must admit this is a ll very ******* confusing and frustrating. I know it can take a while to find what works, but it sucks all the same.

Thanks for the input.

Spongedaddy
12-27-07, 10:25 AM
I called the office and the NP said that the heart thing is very rare and not something I need to worry about. She said she thought this would be a good start for me.

I am not so sure. My instincts don't like this one, but I guess I will give it a try.

adhdogwalker
12-28-07, 09:11 AM
I understand your fear of taking Geodon as I went through the same thing when prescribed and atypical antipsychotic. For me, I was petrified of gaining weight and being sedated when I started taking Seroquel. I'm very thin and have been my entire life, so the possibility of getting "fat" was petrifying to me. I know weight gain sounds like not a big deal side effect, but for me, it would be.

Anyhow, I was so desperate, that I took the Seroquel anyway and I do not experience any of the side effects listed. I now take both Seroquel and Abilify and I think it's helping my mood a lot. I can function again and am organized without having to try. I also have much less anxiety than before. Furthermore, I'm not sedated and still have the energy to speedwalk around the park and my neighborhood with dogs all day (on a busy day I walk 20-25 miles). If I up the dose of Seroquel, I generally get "brain fog" for the first few hours after I wake up in the am, for the first few days, but this goes away.

If you experience bad side effects from the Geodon, just stop taking it immediately. I know everyone is different, but atypical antipsychotics really, really, help me. As for Depakote, I did take that for a while about 8 years ago and it worked well. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I thought I was fine and didn't need meds any more. It also made me take afternoon naps (which I never, ever do), and I didn't like that side effect.

Matt S.
12-28-07, 09:25 AM
I notice that I am napping in the afternoon myself on Depakote

Depakote is considered the first line adjunct to stimulant therapy in a lot of circles.

Spongedaddy
12-28-07, 10:18 AM
I understand your fear of taking Geodon as I went through the same thing when prescribed and atypical antipsychotic. For me, I was petrified of gaining weight and being sedated when I started taking Seroquel. I'm very thin and have been my entire life, so the possibility of getting "fat" was petrifying to me. I know weight gain sounds like not a big deal side effect, but for me, it would be.

Anyhow, I was so desperate, that I took the Seroquel anyway and I do not experience any of the side effects listed. I now take both Seroquel and Abilify and I think it's helping my mood a lot. I can function again and am organized without having to try. I also have much less anxiety than before. Furthermore, I'm not sedated and still have the energy to speedwalk around the park and my neighborhood with dogs all day (on a busy day I walk 20-25 miles). If I up the dose of Seroquel, I generally get "brain fog" for the first few hours after I wake up in the am, for the first few days, but this goes away.

If you experience bad side effects from the Geodon, just stop taking it immediately. I know everyone is different, but atypical antipsychotics really, really, help me. As for Depakote, I did take that for a while about 8 years ago and it worked well. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I thought I was fine and didn't need meds any more. It also made me take afternoon naps (which I never, ever do), and I didn't like that side effect.

The addictiveness and withdrawal symptoms scare the crap out of me. I have read too many negative exepriences.

Matt S.
12-28-07, 10:30 AM
ECT is always an effective choice for bipolar disorder as well, although thats usually the last ditch effort.

Crazy~Feet
12-28-07, 01:15 PM
Oh Sponge, what is the deal with you and me and these meds?? I refused to comply with that Invega and wouldn't you just know it? A moment arose that I have always been able to address with an atypical AP and have success, and I had no way to deal with it.

I am trying to research the atypicals to see if any do not have hyperprolactinemia as a known side effect...

So far? No luck...:(

Spongedaddy
12-28-07, 04:04 PM
Oh Sponge, what is the deal with you and me and these meds?? I refused to comply with that Invega and wouldn't you just know it? A moment arose that I have always been able to address with an atypical AP and have success, and I had no way to deal with it.

I am trying to research the atypicals to see if any do not have hyperprolactinemia as a known side effect...

So far? No luck...:(

I know. This experience makes me think that they look at me as a walking social security number for benefits and not a human being with a condition.

Is it true that they make money, almost like a commission, for using certain pharmaceuticals?

Skully
12-28-07, 08:52 PM
Geodon has been known to cause parkinsonian symptoms (symptoms that mimic parkinson's disease). Serveral of my clients have been taken off the Geodon recently. But, if it works for you then give it a try. Keep a close eye for tics and shaking of the hands. Can also create anxiety and dizziness. Don't know if these are listed side effects, just relaying what my clients experienced on Geodon.

justhope
12-29-07, 01:08 PM
Sponge...sorry to hear the battle still continues with the meds..

Listen I am going to explain something, then you can throw your shoe at me.

Don't get me wrong with what I am about to say.....just give me a minute...

I grew up around a large amount of drug addicts, my small amount of experiences with "illegal" drugs was not really plesant. I am entirely too "mentally" hyperfocused on the sideeffects to ever "enjoy" what everyone else did with them. That is a good thing, and most likely why I never became a drug addict.

My point....when I was dx with ADD, he gave me my first stimulant script for Ritalan 10mg. And a script for a small dose of Clonidine for the "rebound" effects. I had an entire 3' binder full of notes and research (including reading most of my mothers PDR and Neurology books) before I would pop a pill....

I almost didn't......

My point. It's good to research, to know what to expect if the worse happens to you, it's a must to know the possibilities of what might interact with what....but if you are constantly looking at EVERY possible thing that could go wrong with these drugs you are going to have a really hard time. And refusing to take or stay on one long enough because of the possible sideeffects made reduce your chances of ever finding one that will work for you.

Most of the drugs we are required to take are going to have some mild to not so mild side effects. Especially in the beginning and sometimes for the first 4 weeks or so while we build a blood level.......if and only IF we can make it past then will we know what is going to work...

Now I am not saying it's okay to stay on something when you are having signifigant issues..or if your doctor or pharmacy failed to tell you that these two drugs together will cause a "serious" sometimes fatal interaction..which has been known to happen (and to me) ....I am saying give them a chance and do research but don't get so caught up in every single detail that you are so anxiety ridden that you can't get yourself prepared or refuse to take it after a week of what is normal to most of us" reactions. That is all.

Like Andi said, most of the "warnings" are the worst case scenerios warning...this is to cover thier a s s es in case someone else drops dead like the 1 out of the 100,000 that did while it was still the testing phases.
I know I have been lucky that the first BP med I was on worked for me. Although the Risperdal didn't and the side effects are scary for that one too, and many of the folks here have had some doosie reactions from it...I still attempted to try it. The Neurontin has been great for me. I have had no issues so far.

I hear what you are saying....I just wanted to offer another perspective. The road to finding a treatment that is well rounded is difficult. Sometimes more for one than the other. It's often many trials and errors and different combos...but you will find something. Just always keep in mind, these things.....it's good to know about the "labels" on the bottles, just don't get to "hyperfocused" on them. And there is NO cure for BP, only the cessation of the syptoms. Sometimes we get almost 100% of relief, most don't....but overall from the history I have read, witnessed here and with others I know, and myself. YOu are fortuante if you find relief in the 75% percentile. That sometimes has to be enough. It's so much better than nothing, and there are many other ways to work around the remaining symptoms.

Love ya brother...
Hang in there....

Den Mother ...Hope

Spongedaddy
12-29-07, 03:25 PM
I would never throw my shoe at you. A sock maybe, a glove a strong possibility, but never a shoe.

I read your post several times. It makes a lot of sense and confuses me at the same time. I have kind of gone into a black hole where things beyond the simple pleasures seem hard to grasp. I really don't know what to do. I am walking aorund in a state of confusion.

Of course it doesn't help that we have my dad living with us as he hits all of my buttons (Ram Das once said if you think you are so enlightened try spending a weekend with your parents). I found out that they gave most of my respolnsibilities away at my job so there might not even be a job to go back to.

I just don't know.

adhdogwalker
12-29-07, 11:32 PM
msam- I noticed that my hands have been shaking when I do fine motor things lately. I just figured it was the 100 mg. of adderall a day, although I didn't notice it until I started taking Abilify + Seroquel. Should I worry?

justhope
12-31-07, 11:50 AM
I would never throw my shoe at you. A sock maybe, a glove a strong possibility, but never a shoe.

I read your post several times. It makes a lot of sense and confuses me at the same time. I have kind of gone into a black hole where things beyond the simple pleasures seem hard to grasp. I really don't know what to do. I am walking aorund in a state of confusion.

Of course it doesn't help that we have my dad living with us as he hits all of my buttons (Ram Das once said if you think you are so enlightened try spending a weekend with your parents). I found out that they gave most of my respolnsibilities away at my job so there might not even be a job to go back to.

I just don't know.

I am not fussing at you Sponge. Just a gentle reminder from someone who knows ....concentrating on all the bad, does NO GOOD. Being informed is good, being obsessive is not. You have so much going on....I know. I was the one who initially fussed about dad coming member? Just breathe. On day at a time , well for you, one hour....you are going to make it. You will. Because you keep coming here and you talk it out...and work through it. Just give things a chance to work before you shoot them down. That's all. :)

Re: Nurse practitioner gave me Geodon

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>msam- I noticed that my hands have been shaking when I do fine motor things lately. I just figured it was the 100 mg. of adderall a day, although I didn't notice it until I started taking Abilify + Seroquel. Should I worry?

You know we can't give out medical advice here , however, anytime you are having uncomfortable side-effects you need to contact your doctor. Often you can call and ask for the nurse, advise them of the symptoms and if they are concerned they will let the doctor know and he will contact you back to let you know.
I had those symptoms when I first started Adderall, or did increases. After a couple of days the symptoms stopped. I am not familiar with your combo so I would call to be safe. Let us know how you are doing?

Hope

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 525693" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>

</TD><TD class=alt1>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>