View Full Version : Eating Disorders Link To ADHD

Mandz1129
02-18-04, 01:12 AM
I know that personally, I have struggled with eating issues since age 14. I know that some research suggests that those with ADHD struggle with eating disorders (bulemia, anorexia, binge eating, ect.) Does anyone have any insight or would like to discuss this issure?

~Amanda~

onamission
02-29-04, 01:15 PM
I tried doing a Google search really quick but got bored after skimming the first page. LOL. I would assume that they would be linked.

I have an eating disorder (since about the same age as you) and can see a correlation. As agonizing as it may be, ED's are a sort of "brain candy." The pressure to lose weight as quickly as possible, the control and discipline, and the countless hours researching nutrition and tormenting your brain over which "food plan" is best to try from week to week. The flow of adrenaline is constant and it's motivating.

It's like endless entertainment (and torture). Of course ED's always carry with them other issues. AD/HD would never be a factor by itself. I have been wondering lately if ADD would be the cause for me to stick with my ED because it constantly gives me something to obsess over. I know for myself there are other factors involved which have lessened. The only thing keeping me tethered to my ED is the addiction involved.

Of course I have spent the past year eating like a hog and gained an insane amount of weight, but I don't even want to go there because my weight is disgustingly healthy right now. LOL. This weekened I had an epiphany and decided that I am going to go on a fruit juice diet supplemented with soy milk and soy protein. And I want a juicer. I will no doubt go insane until I buy myself a juicer.

concerned mom
03-18-04, 11:23 PM
My 8yr has adhd and has been extreamly thin all his life. I try my hardest to put some weight on him without forcing him to eat. It drives me crazy though . I have to fight with him sometimes about eatting at least something. He also complains about his belly hurting which I just recently found out thats one complant alot of children have when they have adhd .

Jetta
06-24-04, 08:52 PM
I have done some research on this topic, both for school and because I personally have suffered anorexia, bulimia, and ADHD, and could see how when my ADHD was treated the eating disorder issues got so much better.

As a quick summary of what I can remember off the top of my head, research has suggested that ADHD is tied to bulimia and anorexia as well as compulsive overeating. I will separate each disorder and try to explain how ADHD affects it to the best of my memory.

Compulsive overeating: Often, people with ADHD crave carbs to sooth their minds. Eating can also help them to focus on tasks, and many people with ADHD will snack when performing some task that requires their attention. Thus, people with ADHD may sel-medicate with food, which can lead to overeating.

Bulimia: Kinda related to compulsive overeating when it comes to the binging part of bulimia, but the purging has an added effect. It has been suggested (even found? I'm not sure) that as vomiting causes a chemical change in the body (electrolyes are thrown off etc), it also causes a chemical change in the brain that slows everything down and gives someone with ADHD a feeling of calm. I personally have experiance this after purging. I'll be wiggin out and then I'll binge, purge, and relax, sometimes even falling asleep.

Anorexia: This one is trickier for me to remember, but I do remember that the single mindedness of anorexia seems to create a calm for people with ADHD. What I mean by this is when someone is in the throws of anorexia, you are in starvation mode, all you think about is food. All you have to think about to be successful, when your mind has been taken over by the disease, is weight, food, and weight loss. Also, starvation slows things down in the brain, which is soothing for someone whose brain feels like it's running too fast.

You also have to consider issues of how ADHD may effect a person's life in such a way as to make them more likely to turn to eating disorders, It is not uncommon for untreated ADHD to make a person feel depressed and hopeless. Eating disorders are addictions that people turn to unfortunately to ease their emotional pain. Also, if you also feel like you're out of control of your life (ADHD has caused me to feel this way at times) your might seek out something you can control, like your weight and what you eat, don't eat, or keep down.

Hope this helped. If I dig up those articles I was basing this post on I'll post more details.

sthrnchik
06-28-04, 01:15 PM
This board has really helped me understand that Im not loosing it. That I really do mentally struggle with weight loss more then others.
My hubby is very active & wants me to loose weight for my health & self esteem issues. I would very much like to get & keep my weight under control & stead of being stuck here at 150.
I don't want to hear I've got diabetes or that I need to take HBlood medicine. I know where that leads, bcause my parents have these problems.

I really have a hard time loosing weight. I eat to calm & soothe myself. If there is something in the fridge I will be thinking about it till I consume most of it & then hate myself for being so weak.

I binge on peanut butter. Oh geez I've stopped buying it recently bcause I eat it by itself or on cookies, crackers, icecream. I could eat it almost everyday. It's disgusting that I feel I've got little control. sigh.

& if we are ready to have children my OBGYN will be tough on me bcause I already weigh about 20bls more then I need too. Geez Im feeling down about this in my life. Help;)

Jetta
07-02-04, 12:23 PM
This board has really helped me understand that Im not loosing it. That I really do mentally struggle with weight loss more then others.
My hubby is very active & wants me to loose weight for my health & self esteem issues. I would very much like to get & keep my weight under control & stead of being stuck here at 150.
I don't want to hear I've got diabetes or that I need to take HBlood medicine. I know where that leads, bcause my parents have these problems.

I really have a hard time loosing weight. I eat to calm & soothe myself. If there is something in the fridge I will be thinking about it till I consume most of it & then hate myself for being so weak.

I binge on peanut butter. Oh geez I've stopped buying it recently bcause I eat it by itself or on cookies, crackers, icecream. I could eat it almost everyday. It's disgusting that I feel I've got little control. sigh.

& if we are ready to have children my OBGYN will be tough on me bcause I already weigh about 20bls more then I need too. Geez Im feeling down about this in my life. Help;)
I wish I could help you, but although I have academic knowledge about the subject I still have a struggle with my own eating disorder issues. The one thing I can tell you is that when I began to be treated for my ADHD (it took awhile to reach that diagnosis, as the primary concern at the time was my ED), it became a lot easier for me to deal with my eating and food issues. This makes me almost certain that my EDs were used as a form of self-medication.

Are you in treatment for your ADD? If not, I would recoomend it as this is possibly the root of the problem. I wish I had better or more extensive advice for you, but like I said I'm still dealing with these issues myself. I wish you the best of luck though on your journey! :)

jaimegerise
07-02-04, 12:46 PM
I'm slowly but surely trying to combat my overeatting/binge eatting compulsions. Arg

sthrnchik
07-02-04, 09:50 PM
Thanx,
For the support. I really appreciate it. My family has didn't have very good eating habits so the Add problem is compounded by what I learned growing up.

My weight has has been low & I've weighed up to 160 bfore. Yuck.
I knew I had some problems with food, but when I saw the OverEaters Annyms list Im thinking all these years & I would'nt have guessed I am struggling with an eating disorder. Im so relieved to find this board & so much support & knowledge.

All the best to you all.
De

ADD79
07-14-04, 02:40 PM
For me, my eating disorders have always been a form of control...it is one thing in my life that I am able to control, since I can't ever seem to control the thoughts in my mind. It often used to make me proud when I would abstain from eating because I finally had a handle on one part of my life.

anait
10-01-04, 03:26 PM
^^^ I can relate to that, too, ADD79. I was always the 'perfect little girl/young lady', and dieting/exercising was a huge way to exert power over something, and no-one could take it from me...

It was a huge wakeup call one morning the summer before Grade 12, when I simply could not get out of bed. I felt like a truck had hit me. My boyfriend insisted I get some help. I was convinced to eat a bit more, but the problem was just pushed aside for a few years.

Cut ahead to newly married, and expecting child #1. I went into an absolute panic when I started to gain weight. Hubby found a psychiatrist trained in ED, who was wonderful and gentle, and helped me see myself as a much more worthy person...and to see what the pregnancy weight was really about.

I've never been dangerously thin again, but I daily struggle with anorexic tendencies. Thankfully, my husband understands EDs, and is completely supportive. I've found some exercise and diet that work very well with my ADD and anorexia...I still struggle with becoming too focused on either, but things are improving.

cellar_door
11-26-04, 03:05 AM
I honestly don't know what the connection is but uh, I think I am anorexic. I'm not skinny, skinny, but I'm at the point where people say "you're not losing any more weight, right?" so I guess that is skinny-ish. I've found a lot of times I just am not really interested in food... and at other times I find myself obsessing over it. I've read there is a link between anorexia and adhd, especially in boys, but I dunno how proven that is.

I have weird eating habits as well... :: sigh :: I don't understand.

charlie
11-26-04, 01:21 PM
Hi cellar_door,
Your post interested me (my ADD inattentive daughter struggles w/EDs)
searched link between anorexia and AD/HD and the following is what I've found on google

"As we learn more about ADD, we discover that people manifest ADD traits differently. Obsessing on food, exercise, and thinness gives the anorectic a way to focus their chaotic ADD brains. They become over focused on thoughts and behaviors that related to food.

Frequently these people will only become aware of their high level of activity, distractibility, and impulsiveness after they have been in recovery for anorexia. Self starvation curtails hyperactivity"

Anorexia is often seen in people with highly structured, over focused people with AD/HD. This organises the AD/HD chaos around thoughts of food and body image.

SSRI medication is often helpful in treating eating disorders and some symptoms of ADHD

"For people with ADD, however, there is a history of attention difficulties that predates the eating disorder. Their concentration, impulse problems, and activity level may not improve when their eating disorder is treated. As a matter of fact, their ADD traits can get worse once they are no longer self-medicating with food, or organizing their lives around food and exercise. If you are someone who has struggled with eating disorders, and suspect you may have ADD, it is important to get an evaluation. Both your eating disorders and your ADD must be treated.

COMPREHENSIVE TREATMENT

It is essential that both ADD and eating disorders are treated. Too many people are struggling with their eating disorders because they have undiagnosed or untreated ADD.

When ADD is properly treated the individual is better able to focus and follow through with treatment for their eating disorders. They also have greater control of their impulses, and less of a need to self-medicate their ADD symptoms.

Stimulant medications such as Dexedrine, Ritalin, Desoxyn, and Adderall that work with the neurotransmitter dopamine can be helpful in treating ADD restlessness, impulsiveness, attentional problems, and problems with obsessive thoughts.

Medications such as Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft are useful because they increase serotonin levels, thus helping with impulse control, obsessive thoughts, and decrease agitation.

The key to successful treatment lies in a comprehensive treatment program that address the medical, emotional, social, and physical aspects of both ADD and eating disorders.

Recovering from eating disorders takes time, hard work and commitment. Recovering from eating disorders when you have ADD is even tougher. I encourage you to be patient.

Be a Friend to yourself:
Put away the whip of contempt, and have compassion for yourself. You've been through a lot. Over the years I have seen many people who were once hopeless and despondent because they could not recover from their eating disorders chart solid courses of recovery once their ADD was treated."

copied this cool verse from a UK ADD site
You are the only one who knows
The real you, that's how it goes,
This person who you're learning' to be
No one but you will ever see.
When you see yourself through your own eyes
Do you see someone with no disguise?
Cuz you can't disguise yourself, it's true,
Or you'll never become the real you."

My daughter refuses to get help/counseling for both her ADD & EDs. I am trying to learn what I can and slip in tidbits of knowledge to her hoping that she MIGHT someday be willing to seek counseling.

Best of luck to all of us!

moke
01-11-05, 04:19 PM
I came to this site by way of getting treated for an eating disorder, so perhaps relating my experiences can be helpful to someone else.

I also participate in a wonderful on-line community for both sufferers of eating disorders and their families (separate sections) - URL Removed by ADMIN

It's not uncommon for sufferers of EDs (eating disorders) to experience different types of disordered eating during their lives. When I first started experiencing symptoms of ED, I was anorexic/bulemic and twelve years old. My parents found out when I was a sophmore in college and I was officially diagnosed with bulemia/purging type. A year of counseling and anti-depressant medication later, I had officially stopped purging, but the binging continued. At that time, BED (binge-eating disorder) was not a recognized disorder, so I was considered 'well'. It wasn't until I went to see a counselor for marital problems at age 27 that I was diagnosed with COE/BED and actually received effective treatment for my eating disorder.

Eating disorders of all types are coping mechanisms. It was not a coincidence that my ED developed about the time that I felt that my life was getting away from me. I was having troubles in school and socially (which I now realize were part of the ADD) and there was the double whammy of developing a woman's body and the expectations that go along with that. EDs perpetuate isolation (which can also be an effect of ADD as I understand it) and low self-esteem and self-worth. EDs give us a fantasy to live in - we think about how wonderful life would be if we were thinner, plan for that life, plan how to get to that life - and then when we are confronted with reality (whether it is difficulties in school, work, a cruel comment from someone, a breakup, money troubles - anything) we use the our favorite coping mechanism - our escape - food or the lack thereof. We blame ourselves for being bad - we tell ourselves that we need to get control - all of which lowers our self-esteem farther and makes our need for comfort, control and coping even larger - which propels us even further into disordered eating.

For me, the cycle went something like this. I'd go to school, realize I'd forgotten my homework again and the teacher would humiliate me in front of the class. Someone would make fun of me, and/or I felt lonely. I'd imagine how perfect my life would be if only I could get it together - I'd have friends, I'd be successful in life, I'd be THIN. So, because I couldn't ever figure out how to get it together or be social, I'd control the one thing I could do - I'd plan a diet. Or I'd go home and eat to comfort myself, berate myself, and then plan a diet. My entire life became either a binge, a purge, or a diet because that was easier to deal with than my life being a mess, me feeling lonely or unsuccessful. Before long, my entire life started to be filtered through one thing - my weight.

Getting help for my eating disorder made a huge difference in my life, but I never really quite reached full recovery. I was and still am undiagnosed. I believe that finally recognizing and coping with my ADD in healthy ways will enable me to fully reach recovery for my ED. Just called a counselor from this forum and am looking forward to it!

johbean
07-15-05, 09:00 AM
Great information Jetta. If you do ever dig up those articles (if u r anything like me, I won't hold my breath) I would love to hear more of what it said, especially about the bulemia. My eating disorder issues got much better as well once my add was properly addressed.
Thanks, Joh

becca79
07-17-05, 07:26 AM
I have an eating disorder as well and have been for over 10 years now. I'm currently bulimic but used to be anorexic. I think there is defenitely a corralation. Anorexia in a way "ordered" my life. And the purging of bulimia makes up for my lack of control. Binging and purging also is one more way for me to distract myself and my bulimia becomes MUCH worse when I have little structure in my life. I've never seen any statistics, but I've run into a lot of people on eating disorder forums that also have ADHD, so I think it's not unusual.

dfac001
07-17-05, 04:03 PM
hey...actually am i heading towards trouble?
i dunno...yea the side effect with adderall was that i lost my appetite...

i have ADHD...that's a fact..but since taking adderall would be gd if i wanna lose weight as well...so when i started adderall...i lost my appetite...i could go by a day with just one meal...and i just eat because i know i need too...i'm not that hungry at all...after almost 4 months i have lost 10 lbs...not that dramatic...now i'm trying to eat normal...i eat more than before...

sometimes i forget to take the med...my appetite is sill low...and i play with my food more often...pushing food around and keep telling myself i'm full...i dun wanna eat anymore...

and I CAN'T TELL IF I'M REALLY FEELING SICK OR I'M TRYING TO BE BULIMIC...
i did throw up couple of times feeling nauseous...but i dunno if i was really feeling sick...or consciously i wanna vomit...

am i heading towards trouble? i still love food too much to be having eating disorder...but i'm scared to gain weight again now....

becca79
07-17-05, 06:00 PM
dfac001- There is no such thing as liking food too much to have an eating disorder. Trust me, very few people with eating disorders actually dislike food, even anorexics. I certainly love food very much. Way too much.

Iím not really qualified to diagnose you, but it doesnít really sound to me like you currently have an eating disorder. It is normal to have a decreases appetite while taking Adderal and it sounds like you are aware that eating one meal a day isnít healthy and are trying to correct this and eat more normally.

Also, people with eating disorders who purge their food do this on purpose (they are consciously aware of what they are doing) because they do not want to absorb the calories from their food and not because they feel sick/ are nauseous. Purging by throwing up is generally not accompanied by nausea.

Unless you find that you are trying to throw up you food to avoid absorbing the calories in it or are purposing taking Adderal to avoiding having to eat much, than I donít think you are developing an eating disorder. Do you find you are doing either of these things?

It is normal to not want to regain weight back, but if this fear becomes very absorbing and you think about it constantly, than it could indicate a problem.

In any case, I hope for your sake you arenít heading towards an eating disorder because living with one is very horrible <o:p></o:p>

Dixie_Amazon
09-30-05, 06:10 PM
Adderall did zip for my appetite.

Andrew
09-30-05, 06:27 PM
Neither Strattera, Ritalin or Wellbutrin have ever done anything for my appetite.

HnNH
11-03-05, 02:31 PM
Wow, I'm glad I found this section. I've always struggled with my eating disorder. I remember my mom finding my dexatrim (sp?) pills when I was only 13. I was a thin kid too. I've always worked out, lifted weights, been a runner/biker since I was just 16. I never thought I was thin enough. I would look in the mirror and pick out parts of my body that needed trimming down. I'm still like this and I'm doubtful I will ever change.

I've had ADD all my life as well. Of course when I was a kid nobody knew about ADD. I was finally diagnosed 3 years ago. Now I'm taking Adderall. I'm also to the point of being "in the red" for too thin. I think I'm fine because I feel ok, but others who see me tell me I'm getting too thin. Adderall kills my appetite and I find I now have to make myself eat. I'm trying to gain some weight for when I see my Dr. next week as I've lost more since last time and she was concerned then. The thing is, the meds are doing wonders for me at work and at home. I'm also finally not stressing about my weight quite as much because I'm now as thin as I've ever been and I can eat what I want without worrying. However, now that I've hit this all time low weight mark, I worry about how I might feel gaining everything back. What a confusing mess!!

Indigo_Child
11-04-05, 01:29 AM
I agree that there is a link between ADD and ED's, and that the Medication does contribute to exsessive weightloss. I have ADD, I am Bullemic, anorexic, i am a chewer-spitter and binger. I am on Dexamphetamine and i have found it to be a blessing in two areas...one for calming me down and allowing me to be able to funtion to my full capacity at work and at home...and two....the weightloss, decrease in appetite...and false sense of stamina.

I am 5'5" (short)....Mid Last year i weighed 83kg (183lbs)...i was gross...disguisting...i cant even look at my old photos anymore its too depressing...since October last year i have lost 38kg(84lbs)!
I started back on the Dexamphetamine 4 days ago and have lost 5kg (11lbs) so i am now 99lbs, and i personally think there is nothing wrong with my body, I still have a belly, my legs jiggle and my arms are in diar need of toning..So i dont know what everyones issue is. I usually lose 10kg (22lbs) or so when i am on the Dex....

solei11
11-24-05, 11:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of peanut butter too. I eat it on everything or melt it and use it as a dip. Can't get away from it...

solei11

solei11
11-24-05, 11:33 PM
My problem is I'm 275 lbs or so (don't own a scale). I carry it well also. I try to set up an eating plan but it takes me hours to make a meal plan for a week, and it works for a few days then I get off track. My fiance doesn't like the same food as me. I hardly keep junk food in the house but when I am feeling anxious (which is just about always) I will go buy junk food and eat then purge. I have felt that relaxed feeling after purging that someone mentionned. I know what I need to do to lose weight but I can never stay focused on it and always relapse. My mind is always thinking about the next thing i'm going to put in my mouth, my next meal, it takes up alot of my time and makes me extremly anxious. I don't keep white bread, rice etc in the house. Don't eat alot of pasta. I move well, am very strong, flexible and have great balance (due to yoga and my history of dancing). I love to cook but if I cook when I get home from work I don't eat till 8 or 9 even though I finish work @ 5 pm. I'm so frusterated and hope that when I finally get treatment for ADD that things will work out better. I'm tired of staying off track and wasting food and money... look at that. I lost track of time, need to get to bed I have to get up at 5 am so I can be at work at 8:30. (it takes about 10-15 min to walk to work lol...

Solei11

Dixie_Amazon
11-25-05, 11:38 AM
I am horrible about buying junk when I am out and about, then eating it in the car and destroying the evidence.

DH is less than supportive about not bringing my big triggers home when he goes shopping.

annalise
12-10-05, 08:56 AM
All these posts are helpful, but how the hell do you "treat" an eating disorder? I have been treated for ADD for five years, but still suffer severe depression sometimes. I take concerta which helps me to eat less, and less impulsively but I still overeat at night when the concerta wears off.
I can't take antidepressants because they make the ADD worse. Wellbutrin (300mg) made me lose all my weight the first time I tried it but I ended up really overfocussed, and inactive to the point of being unable to do anything, and depressed, and then I gained heaps when I stopped it. 150mg was better, but I still was overfocussed and depressed.
I have been in therapy which was next to useless. What is the use of talking to someone about overeating? I know I overeat...I don't have to work it out! What can a therapist do? What can anyone do?

jennyjay
12-10-05, 08:21 PM
I have for as long as I can remember had issues with food and body image. When I was in 11th grade I discovered how easy it was to eat whatever u wanted and then purge afterwards. Like Jetta said, for me when I was really upset and emotional, the binge/purge was the best way for me to get rid of the bad feelings, and flush them away to feel a calm serenity afterwards.

Scattered
12-15-05, 12:09 PM
All these posts are helpful, but how the hell do you "treat" an eating disorder? I have been treated for ADD for five years, but still suffer severe depression sometimes. I take concerta which helps me to eat less, and less impulsively but I still overeat at night when the concerta wears off.
I can't take antidepressants because they make the ADD worse. Wellbutrin (300mg) made me lose all my weight the first time I tried it but I ended up really overfocussed, and inactive to the point of being unable to do anything, and depressed, and then I gained heaps when I stopped it. 150mg was better, but I still was overfocussed and depressed.
I have been in therapy which was next to useless. What is the use of talking to someone about overeating? I know I overeat...I don't have to work it out! What can a therapist do? What can anyone do?
Have you tried Straterra? My therapist told me that sometimes a combination of Strattera and Concerta worked well to be sure the night hours were covered as well. Since the Concerta is helping you stay on track until it wears off it might be worth a try. I was heading toward an eating disorder in college (back before I knew I had ADHD). I think exercise made a big difference for me. It helped my mood swings, helped control my weight, and just generally made me feel better about myself. Also are you getting some kind of on going support? Have you considered joining Overeaters Annoymous. A 12 step program (or a counselor familiar with ADHD and eating disorders) might be useful in helping you look at your thinking patterns and not just about food -- mostly about yourself. Also support and encouragement is very important in combatting depression. Take care.

Scattered

oh stank
03-08-06, 02:21 AM
hola....
ive been active and crazy busy my whole life. I started controlling my adhd in highschool with obstaining from food nad having a strict diet. Then in college i stopped playing all those sports. I become obsessed with running and got bored and switched tobulemia. The doc says these wereall ways i used to control the adhd. I got put on adderal and it makes me feel human again, before i was almost like a zombie calls all the craziness in my brain became blurry. I was wondering if anyone has ever been bulemic before for a long time> a year or two and wants to chat about their intestinal problems and what they have done for them. I have cold feet and really bad gas. I eat extremely healthy but i experience strong discomfort. Thanks

Protoslacker
04-07-06, 11:58 PM
I read somewhere there's a connection between self injurious behavior and being invalidated as a youngster. You know how invalidating it can be growing up ADHD and not knowing it...

chloe516
04-08-06, 10:01 AM
All these posts are helpful, but how the hell do you "treat" an eating disorder? I have been treated for ADD for five years, but still suffer severe depression sometimes. I take concerta which helps me to eat less, and less impulsively but I still overeat at night when the concerta wears off.I go through phases of working out a lot and eating less, this usually happens during the summer for me, I'm a teacher and have more time then. I also had a period in college when I was working out every day and was eating less (not more healthfully, just less). Of course, I don't usually last long with any changes I make, so I get busy, or have a change in my schedule, and stop working out and eat more.

I just started Concerta a month and a half ago, I am still trying to get the dosage correct. I find that I do the same thing as you. I do well with the overeating and impulsive eating while my concerta is active, but overeat at night after it wears off. :( I always get so mad at myself afterward and hate gaining weight back.

Scattered, I think I will look into asking my Dr. about doing something so I have a med in my system all day too. My ADHD severely impacts my social life (interrupting, zoning out, having difficulty filtering out inappropriate comments or topics...) and I am hyperactive, so I dont' just need it at work, but after as well. Concerta does not keep me awake, I actually can fall asleep while it is active in my system, so I wouldn't mind taking more of that later in the day as well.:)

AllFiredUp
04-08-06, 06:01 PM
hola....
ive been active and crazy busy my whole life. I started controlling my adhd in highschool with obstaining from food nad having a strict diet. Then in college i stopped playing all those sports. I become obsessed with running and got bored and switched tobulemia. The doc says these wereall ways i used to control the adhd. I got put on adderal and it makes me feel human again, before i was almost like a zombie calls all the craziness in my brain became blurry. I was wondering if anyone has ever been bulemic before for a long time> a year or two and wants to chat about their intestinal problems and what they have done for them. I have cold feet and really bad gas. I eat extremely healthy but i experience strong discomfort. ThanksI was freaked out at first because I'm a very hot natured person and being cold is never an issue. The first few weeks on Adderall and I thought I was going to freeze to death. After some research, I discovered that cutting caffeine and any other stimulants made a huge difference. I still keep the heat a few degrees higher and don't turn down the AC quite as low as I used to, but the only time it's difficult is the two times I've had dosage increases. At least for me, the same side effects I had in the beginning come back for several days with the dosage increase. I think I'm maxed out now, though.

oh stank
08-28-06, 02:33 AM
wow. that was amazing. Ive had every eating disorder on your list plus over exercising. it is so true it is something to focus your attention on. adderal helped me control my obsessive outlet with food because i am not having cravings and I feel like I can do anything I want.....

oh stank
08-28-06, 06:16 AM
wow. that was amazing. Ive had every eating disorder on your list plus over exercising. it is so true it is something to focus your attention on. adderal helped me control my obsessive outlet with food because i am not having cravings and I feel like I can do anything I want.....[/QUOTE] but then you get over that. i have gone turned back to food when I realise i Want it. you want it to fill a void. Even when i don't have an appetite, when you lose your focus you are going to go back to what you know best, your old coping mechanisms. ask yourself what you really want...who you want to be. when you annoy your self or when you find something annoying...ask your self what YOU can do to change that in the future and not let it bother you. You are the problem. do not try to change ppl around you. no one likes manipulation. no one likes being told what to do. the adgitation that is hitting your nerves is because you are letting it get to you. you . you.

tulip bulbs
05-23-07, 08:00 AM
I found this site, typing in 'why do i feel better when i don't eat'
I'm amazed when I read these posts b/c I've been there. I think we all have at some point.

I have always been thin, around junior high I started to binge.
I've always been around 110, 120 if I binge.
In college I realized I had add.
I'd work out twice a day but binge on ice cream and peatnut butter.
Sophomore year, I started to not eat yellow and orange foods.
By senior year, I only had dinner so my mind would feel more sharp all day.
I dropped to 95.
After trying ritalin, concerta, and deciding on Adderall in Jan 2006 I went back to 110 pounds.
Earlier this year umm date rape.
I decided to try and eat as much as I can to hide myself underneath some fat.
I realized the stupidity when I started to have bodily problems.
I capped at 135 but my stomach always hurts. I wake up in the morning confused and a bit nauseated.
I tried to stop but now I'm running to food.
I had an ice cream bar going thru the posts :p
I decided to take a leave frm the U.S.
Of course it didn't solve my problems.
I decided to seek some therapy here, and see if different drugs or therapy help.
If they do, I'll be sure to post with drug names and facts. :soapbox:

QueensU_girl
05-24-07, 11:27 PM
'Why do i feel better when i don't eat?'

-Starvation changes brain chemistry, for starters...
-Regains a Sense of control over one's body (you mention a date rape; the ultimate loss of control over one's body, right?)

--------

Some Author (Quinn?) suggests that ADD/ADHD can be linked to EDs, b/c one cannot organize shopping, meal planning, forgets to eat, etc.

bliss22
08-05-07, 06:45 AM
i haven't heard much about the link between ADHD and EDs...
but if i had to guess, i would say that people who are predominantly hyperactive would be more likely to suffer from bulimia - and people who have inattentive or hyperfocused ADD would likely suffer from anorexia.

bulimics are usually the wild ones... & anorectics are usually the more introspective, withdrawn ones.

i don't know though.... i think there's a much greater connection between anxiety disorders and eating disorders...

i guess ADHD could play a slight role too though...
who knows. :)