View Full Version : has any one heard about this medication called risperdal

Guest1
12-29-07, 03:24 PM
what are the side affects and who gets that medicine what disorder is treated with that and what are the problems with the medicine does anyone take that medicine called risperdal medicines

Andrew
12-29-07, 04:11 PM
Source: http://www.drugs.com/risperdal.html

Note: Please see original article for full description and important information...we have only posted certain facts here

Generic Name: risperidone (oral) (ris PER i done)
Brand Names: Risperdal, Risperdal M-Tab

What is Risperdal?

Risperdal is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain.

Risperdal is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder (manic depression). Risperdal is also used in autistic children to treat symptoms of irritability.

Risperdal may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Important information about Risperdal

Risperdal is not for use in psychotic conditions that are related to dementia. Risperdal has caused fatal heart attack and stroke in older adults with dementia-related conditions.

Do not give this medication to a child without a doctor's advice.
While you are taking Risperdal, you may be more sensitive to temperature extremes such as very hot or cold conditions. Avoid getting too cold, or becoming overheated or dehydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, especially in hot weather and during exercise. It is easier to become dangerously overheated and dehydrated while you are taking this medication. Risperdal can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

Avoid using other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold medicine, pain medication, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by Risperdal.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of Risperdal. Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, feeling light-headed, or fainting.

There may be other drugs not listed that can affect this medication. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.

Risperdal side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Risperdal and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

* fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats;
* restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
* tremor (uncontrolled shaking);
* trouble swallowing; or
* feeling light-headed, fainting.

Less serious side effects may include:

* mild restlessness, drowsiness, or tremor;
* sleepiness, dreaming more than usual;
* blurred vision;
* dizziness or headache;
* weight gain;
* problems with urination;
* nausea, dry mouth, constipation; or
* decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.

Again, if you want more information, please see the original article (http://www.drugs.com/risperdal.html) or speak with your doctor or pharmacist.

speedo
12-29-07, 06:15 PM
Risperdal is a third line medication for treating adhd. It is often used in combination with other medications when treating adhd.

In small doses (0.25-0.5 mg) it is a very good first line medication for OCD and anxiety. Small doses (around 0.25 mg) are sometimes given to people with autism to reduce aggression and combativeness. Small doses are sometimes given to elderly patients suffering from demensia. It is often prescribed in larger doses (4-6 mg or more) for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Risperdal is a great medication If you don't have side effects. In some cases the side effects can be damaging if you keep taking the drug after the side effects first appear, so if you have side effects when taking risperdal you need to stop taking it and call your doctor right away. Serious side effects usually only appear at larger doses.

I've been on risperdal for 2 years with no problems thus far.

Some people who have been taking large doses of risperdal for years have reported difficulty with withdrawal symptoms. I've been off of risperdal several times in the last 2 years and have had no problems with tapering off gently over a week or so.

Overall the side effects and withdrawal are not anywhere near as severe as for SSRI's like prozac.

Me :D

Guest1
12-29-07, 06:23 PM
thats what my boyfriend takes just learning about it thats why i asked

ghost_40
12-30-07, 09:32 PM
I don't know the text book meaning but i have taking Risperdal a few years ago.I took it for a week then i stopped it,the side effects i had were i couldn't sleep and it make me very violent.It is an intiphysitoc med. perscribe for many things including,bi-polor,Dissociative identity disorder,Schizophrenia,border line personalality disorder etc.Been on most of the antiphysic in the last 25 years and i would have to say that that was the worse.

Guest1
12-30-07, 11:51 PM
whoa thanks for your helpI don't know the text book meaning but i have taking Risperdal a few years ago.I took it for a week then i stopped it,the side effects i had were i couldn't sleep and it make me very violent.It is an intiphysitoc med. perscribe for many things including,bi-polor,Dissociative identity disorder,Schizophrenia,border line personalality disorder etc.Been on most of the antiphysic in the last 25 years and i would have to say that that was the worse.

Mohawk1984
12-31-07, 11:25 AM
Yeah they stuffed it in me when I was in the looney ward thinking I was psychotic

Guest1
01-01-08, 11:11 PM
ahh that sucksYeah they stuffed it in me when I was in the looney ward thinking I was psychotic

netsavy006
01-04-08, 08:16 PM
I use to take risperdal but I had problems with it. I was getting heart palpitations, chest pains, and drowsiness.

I wish it didn't do all that because it was a great medication. It worked very well for my sensory issues.

Guest1
01-05-08, 12:01 AM
so is a good medication?I use to take risperdal but I had problems with it. I was getting heart palpitations, chest pains, and drowsiness.

I wish it didn't do all that because it was a great medication. It worked very well for my sensory issues.

netsavy006
01-05-08, 05:10 PM
It was for me but I had side effects so I had to stop taking it.