View Full Version : Ritalin and Losing weight

Stabby
12-30-07, 06:52 PM
I've been taking Ritalin (20mg/day) for a week now and I already lost 1kg. I'm not overweight so that's a lot for just one week. I know it's a common side effect, but what can I do about it? I have 2 meals a day (breakfast and supper), but other than that I just don't have the appetite. I'm going through all my cupboards loaded with all kinds of food but I just can't find anything I want to eat.

Anyone have the same experience with Ritalin?

lars
12-30-07, 07:56 PM
Anyone have the same experience with Ritalin?

Yeah, I've experienced that on many occasions with most of the prescription stimulants available, including Ritalin. It's referred to as the "anorectic effect," and it can be one of the more difficult side effects to cope with for some people.

For me it would usually last a few months, but I've heard others say that it would typically last them just 2 or 3 weeks. I'm sure it's different for each of us.

From my experience I've found the best way to deal with this side effect is to make sure that I continued to give my body nutrition even though the thought of eating food seemed like the last thing in the world that I needed. I learned how to do this by using high calorie/low mass foods like candy bars (which are not such a wise choice nutritionally speaking, but so much better than choosing not to eat at all), and also meal replacement shakes like Ensure.

The meal replacement shakes or powders are nutritionally complete, and they are quite easy to gulp down. They come in many flavors, and they also come in many specific varieties such as high calorie, high fiber, high calcium, etc. I hope that you are able to find a way to cope with the anorectic effect until it begins to fade away.

Please keep us posted on how things unfold on that end.

Mohawk1984
01-01-08, 03:12 PM
Make alot of sandwiches for the whole day. Put them in a box and eat 1 every half an hour. Eating 1 sandwich every half hour is alot easier then eating a heap of them at once. Its also better for your body.

demonicgoddess
01-01-08, 03:29 PM
If you really don't feel like eating drink those weight care/slim fast shakes. They (legally have to) contain everything you need as far as nutricion goes.... so it's fast and easy... plus you never have to think abouw what you eat anymore and that saves time.

sportbikechic
01-02-08, 08:55 AM
I drink the high protein shakes when needed (EAS low carb chocolate fudge is good).

I also like to nibble on Fiber One cereal (honey clusters); it contains high levels of fiber to help keep things moving and fills you up. Very healthy and bland.:p

And sugar-free jello cups with cool whip, I basically eat like I have a cold or flu; all I want is bland foods but help fill be up.:)

It does get better!!;)

Stabby
01-02-08, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't know where to get all this stuff you're mentioning. Can I just ask for them at a supermarket?

Scattershot
01-02-08, 01:14 PM
Yeah, Ensure is good stuff. It's geared toward older people who aren't able to eat much so it has a ton of nutrients and protein in each bottle.

It's pretty tasty and comes in a small bottle, so it's not that hard to drink a whole one. I have a hard time drinking protein shakes because they fill me up too quickly. The regular Ensure has 250 calories per bottle and the Ensure Plus has 350 calories and extra protein. (My mom has tons of this stuff, so I know all the details - lol.)

They should have it at any major supermarket or pharmacy. It's usually back by the pharmacy with the vitamins & nutritional supplements.

Imnapl
01-02-08, 03:08 PM
I've been taking Ritalin (20mg/day) for a week now and I already lost 1kg. I'm not overweight so that's a lot for just one week. I know it's a common side effect, but what can I do about it? I have 2 meals a day (breakfast and supper), but other than that I just don't have the appetite. I'm going through all my cupboards loaded with all kinds of food but I just can't find anything I want to eat.

Anyone have the same experience with Ritalin?Yes, unfortunately it was only a temporary side effect as it is with most people. Do you normally struggle with maintaining a healthy weight?

eagerinsight
01-02-08, 07:43 PM
I'm not jacking this thread I just had a quick question pertaining to the topic and didn't want to start a whole new thread. I am a Ritalin user and experience the loss of appetite only after I take my dose, after the meds wear off it comes back. My girlfriend, also a Ritalin user, experiences the decreased appetite all day (since she started the meds 3 months ago her appetite has never been the same). I take a much larger dose (120mg) than her (30mg), I guess it has different side effects for each person??

lars
01-02-08, 07:47 PM
I take a much larger dose (120mg) than her (30mg), I guess it has different side effects for each person??
Yeah, that's a perfect example of how differently we each can respond to these things.

Imnapl
01-02-08, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend, also a Ritalin user, experiences the decreased appetite all day (since she started the meds 3 months ago her appetite has never been the same).And in the broader scheme of things, three months is still a relatively short period of time. As of this month, I have been taking regular release Ritalin 10mg three or four times a day for 144 months minus the odd day here or there. I wish it suppressed my appetite.

The original poster is looking for reassurance that she will not become underweight if she continues to take Ritalin. Weight Watchers considers a weight loss of two pounds per week a nice, slow weight loss for someone trying to lose weight. I would hope that readers would look for balanced evidence to support the member's concerns.

demonicgoddess
01-03-08, 04:08 PM
i don't take ritalin anymore but the experience of taking it seems to have induced the slimming effect for me. I've been trying to lose weight for years.... but only after trying the ritalin I can somehow sence the difference between impulsive/compulsive food thoughts and real need for food.
Maybe it only works if your extra weight has a psychological basis.

Bugga21
12-08-08, 04:36 PM
Even after 7 years on Ritalin SR 30mg I still have not regained my appetite. But this is okay, as I have learned how to cope.

It is a GREAT opportunity to trick yourself into eating things you normally wouldn't while your appetite is gone.

Just try grazing all day long, and the liquid meals are helpful as well. I usually try and eat as many vegetables as I can while my appetite is qwelled. I pack little bags of raw vegetables and fruits and nuts to eat all day long.

The result has been a low (but healthy body weight) and a lean bodyfat percentage (about 14% body fat). I also get a lot of compliments on my complexion--which is the direct result of all the fruits and vegetables I eat.

But the best part is that when you appetite DOES return (mine returns for dinner) your meal tastes EXTRA good. At least, in my experience.

Hope this helped!

alchemda
12-20-08, 05:54 PM
I started on Metadate XR (Ritalin) about 2 weeks ago, first starting with 10mg a day (extended release) and now I'm at 20mg a day ( extended release).

The first day I noticed my appetite is just not there. I will hear my stomach growling but when I look at food to choose or think about what I want to eat, it just all seems unappetizing.

I take my metadate at about 7:30 in the morning, my appetite does not return until about 6 or 7.

The only bad part about this is It is causing me to only eat once a day, and when I do eat, i'm so freaking hungry I pig out.

I view losing weight as a super positive side effect ( as long as it's not unhealthy) mainly because I'm saving money as well by not having to go shopping.

I was a "bored" eater before starting meds, if I was bored or was just sitting around the house, I usually wanted something to snack on, not even being hungry. The munching has stopped completely so in my eyes thats a plus.

The only thing I DISLIKE about losing my appetite is that I get headaches from not eating. Generally the onlything I eat during the day is a snickers bar for brunch.

Anyways i'm rambling...

chowmix
12-20-08, 06:11 PM
The appetite suppression side effect went away in about a month. I remain thirsty all the time. I'm on Concerta 72mg AM and ritalin 10mg ir as needed pm.

RiverIsSerenity
12-20-08, 10:16 PM
I have appetite suppression from Ritalin too. I'm not skinny, but I have been loosing weight since starting meds for ADHD. My BMI is 25.2 <-that's just at the overweight mark.

The way I've tried to stay healthy is to "eat by the clock" whether I'm hungry or not.

6:00 am = breakfast of 2 eggs + vitamins and suppliments for the day.
12:00 = healthy lunch (at least a lean quizine or a Clif or Lara bar)
6:00 pm = something for supper.
Oh, and I make sure I drink almond, soy or rice milk at least once during the day, too.

I'm a pretty healthy eater, as I have had ulcers in the past and still have some gastritis, so although my calorie intake is low, my nutritional value is high.

addavenger
01-22-09, 08:59 PM
i take 60mgs ritalin at 630 am and food does not look nor sound good at all i try to eat at least once a day most of the time once i start eating in the pms after work my appetite sorta returns and i can at least get something in...always thirsty though....