View Full Version : Anyone else like classical music?

Revz
01-01-08, 02:01 AM
Don't get me wrong I love all the other music, just for some reason.. classical makes me feel reallly chilled out and I love it. How about you guys?

ah09087
01-01-08, 03:12 AM
I LOVE Classical music. I love how everything is different but comes together to make it work in a way that's different than today's music.

Teedrum
01-01-08, 05:26 AM
i like classical to...not all the time....i'm a metalhead but i like classical to

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:18 AM
Teedrum speaks for me ;p

I particularly like pieces in which piano is partcularly prominent. I'd really like to learn how to play the piano but dont have the time nor the money at the moment :/

It can bring out the very sensitive and emotional side in me. Which is one of the reasons classical is nice to listen to once in a while. Its nice to feel and reflect :)

Matt S.
01-01-08, 03:21 PM
i like classical to...not all the time....i'm a metalhead but i like classical to

That about sums it up with me, I was trained to sing baritone for years so I like classical music, I can really get the feel of it.

Mincan
01-01-08, 04:12 PM
It takes up at least half of my listening time. Love it.

Imnapl
01-01-08, 06:28 PM
Definitely.

lars
01-01-08, 06:36 PM
I have always had a fondness for it, and I find that it's the only kind of music that I can study to.

Any other kind of music is just too distracting for me to get any studying done.

sarsXdave
01-01-08, 09:12 PM
I've only really been able to get into the really accessible stuff you hear in commercials and movies or sampled in hip-hop - but those few are really high on my list. "Second Coming" by Juelz Santana and Just Blaze introduced me to one of my favorites: "Symphonie Fantastique" by Hector Berlioz. The fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth is, of course, one of the best things ever, music or otherwise.

I just think it's awesome that there've been some people that were so talented as to be able to make something so universally appealing.

supersomeone
03-10-08, 05:53 PM
I find it extreamly calming.And motivating sorta haha Usually play it in the morning when getting ready or on the bus (if I ever make it )haha

Ulukabulu
03-11-08, 05:34 AM
Yup, as I get older I listen to much more classical than I used to - even stuff like Gregorian chant that I probably wouldn't have touched with a bargepole when I was younger, angrier and unmedicated.

It's great music to study with, read with, meditate and pray with ... and just listen to (especially in live concert - awesome!)

bandie08
03-11-08, 07:29 AM
Yes though it can be distracting because i try to identify meters and conduct time.

Didi
04-27-08, 05:03 AM
Well, I respect it as an artform. And don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it in small doses, but I can't say as I am a rabbid fan. I have a grandma who tries to beat it down my throat, so maybe thats why. I don't know.

4gotAgain
04-27-08, 05:10 AM
I like alot of different types of music.
I find classical music helps me to concentrate better and think more clearly esp while doing study, research etc. I really like bach, beethoven, mozart and just piano peices.

LuckySe7en
06-18-08, 03:24 AM
I have an large range of musical tastes, classical included. I'm a metalhead, hard rock junkie, hippity hop, rap freestylin, trance raving, Christian worshipper. Although being a Christian and Heavy Metal are like polar opposites in my mind. I'm so twisted!

DotwithADD
06-18-08, 03:36 AM
Very few... but I do like "Moon River" is that a classical music song? Love Beethoven's 5th Symphony (I think that's what it's called)... and whoever wrote: "The Marriage of Figaro", oh, I googled it... was it "Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais"? Yup, some of it is soothing... Which is why I couldn't listen to it at work (when I am working)... or on an elevator... I'd be in "snooze" city!:eek::D

theta
06-18-08, 03:47 AM
Mainly just Beethoven. He likely had lead posioning (like me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTFUtMSvQ

DotwithADD
06-18-08, 03:54 AM
Mainly just Beethoven. He likely had lead posioning (like me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTFUtMSvQ

Lead poisoning??? How did you get that? How did Beethoven get that... or I guess I could look it up!

I did... http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/10/17/beethoven.hair/

"The lead contamination could have come from the composer's drinking water, his food or utensils, but "wherever it came from, it must have been a lot more than most of the people in that area because his illness was quite dramatic -- he went to 20 or 30 doctors trying to solve this awful problem," said Walsh". They also found a lot of lead in Beethoven's hair. Weird!!

theta
06-18-08, 04:20 AM
Lead poisoning??? How did you get that? How did Beethoven get that... or I guess I could look it up!

I did... http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/10/17/beethoven.hair/

"The lead contamination could have come from the composer's drinking water, his food or utensils, but "wherever it came from, it must have been a lot more than most of the people in that area because his illness was quite dramatic -- he went to 20 or 30 doctors trying to solve this awful problem," said Walsh". They also found a lot of lead in Beethoven's hair. Weird!!

They really only tested his hair. About 60 ppm. I had 40 ppm in 2001. About the same time they tested his hair sample. I worked around lead plus I chewed on lead as child (above 6 years old I think). Below 6 years it much more damaging.

cameron
06-18-08, 11:35 AM
for those of you who enjoy the piano, there is a lot of ambient electronic music that features the piano(Harold Budd for one). I prefer ambeint music and downtempo/chill out when I want to "chill". I mostly listen to intstrument music, I wonder if this is an ADD thing. I don't like a lot of vocal stuff(unless its from the 80s, or has some really catchy synths within the song). Anyone else? I can name a bunch of artists if people want names. I'm a music nerd and have tons of mp3's and cds. Former DJ as well.

cameron
06-18-08, 11:38 AM
BTW, music is what gets me in trouble when I'm supposed to be looking for a job(like now, unemployed). I love to make different compilation cds. I can do this for hours a day. Its bad. Sorry for going off topic! :)

DotwithADD
06-18-08, 12:57 PM
They really only tested his hair. About 60 ppm. I had 40 ppm in 2001. About the same time they tested his hair sample. I worked around lead plus I chewed on lead as child (above 6 years old I think). Below 6 years it much more damaging.

I used to chew on pencils... and was informed later (I wonder if correct?) that there was lead in the paint on the pencils... maybe I misunderstood. I wasn't sure if you had gotten lead poisoning from your water pipes??? That's been the cause of some lead poisoning... also from certain paint on dishes (from different countries) as suspected in Beethoven's case. (Did you have time to read that about Beethoven?)

What treatment, if any, is there for lead poisoning?

prtsimmons
06-18-08, 01:56 PM
Yeah, classical is definitely one of my 10 ten favourite musical styles... along with hip hop, punk, metal, jazz, jazz fusion, trance, drum-n-bass, old-school country, and bluegrass. Oh man, I forgot classic rock, folk and funk... classical is definitely one of my top 13 favourite musical styles.

When I am feeling unjustifiably snappish and grumpy toward my girlfriend, I lock myself away and pump up the music for a while. Works great. I like classical when I am supposed to be reading or studying - it doesn't distract me like music with lots of lyrics.

theta
06-18-08, 09:21 PM
I used to chew on pencils... and was informed later (I wonder if correct?) that there was lead in the paint on the pencils... maybe I misunderstood. I wasn't sure if you had gotten lead poisoning from your water pipes??? That's been the cause of some lead poisoning... also from certain paint on dishes (from different countries) as suspected in Beethoven's case. (Did you have time to read that about Beethoven?)

What treatment, if any, is there for lead poisoning?

Pencil "lead" is graphite and is safe :). Interesting you can mark paper with real lead.

Leads in our enviroment in a lot of places. Pipe and paint are a bigger concern in old homes(pre-70's).

Treatment can include: avoiding farther exposure, DMSA, r-alpha lipoic acid and various antioxidants(selenium, n-acetyl-cysteine) in general since lead causes oxidative damage.

DotwithADD
06-19-08, 01:45 AM
Pencil "lead" is graphite and is safe :). Interesting you can mark paper with real lead.

Leads in our enviroment in a lot of places. Pipe and paint are a bigger concern in old homes(pre-70's).

Treatment can include: avoiding farther exposure, DMSA, r-alpha lipoic acid and various antioxidants(selenium, n-acetyl-cysteine) in general since lead causes oxidative damage.

Thanks for that explanation... So does everyone where you live (including your house) have lead pipes? Would boiling the water help? has everyone in your area experienced lead poisoning? I would think something (FDA?) should mandate that all lead pipes be replaced with safer pipes. Especially for health of everyone young, middle, and elderly.

theta
06-19-08, 02:57 AM
Thanks for that explanation... So does everyone where you live (including your house) have lead pipes? Would boiling the water help? has everyone in your area experienced lead poisoning? I would think something (FDA?) should mandate that all lead pipes be replaced with safer pipes. Especially for health of everyone young, middle, and elderly.

No boiling want remove lead. I have a reverse osmosis water system now to make sure I'm getting near zero lead in my water. The owner of a home has to pay the cost no matter what the FDA or the EPA mandates. I do not think lead solder on water pipes was a signficant factor in my lead posioning.

If you do have lead solder on your water pipes. You should only use cold water for cooking and drinking and do not use water thats been sitting in the pipe for hours either. Get the water intended for human intake only after you have ran it for awhile.

Zerbinetta
06-22-08, 07:59 PM
Not sure I still qualify as a young adult, but I've been obsessive about opera - though not the high-romantic, nineteenth-century variety most people would associate with the term - for about five years now. Effusive coloratura, especially, provides my mind with the perfect soundtrack - the fiddlier the better. Hence, also, my username.*

Non-vocal writing seems to do far less for me, though I may just need to get to know more material.

* In case anyone's interested: Zerbinetta is a character from Richard Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, whose big aria, Grossmächtige Prinzessin, contains some of the highest and most involved coloratura in the repertoire.

Naomi88
07-01-08, 12:25 PM
I sing opera so it's definitely one of my favourite genre's, although I am a huge music nerd and love all music. I've been obsessed with music since I was very young, this seems to be the case with alot of people with ADHD, maybe there is a link there or something. Who knows.

Michiko74
08-06-08, 04:02 PM
Some days, classical music is the only thing I can listen to!

qhcowgirl
08-06-08, 05:37 PM
I love classical!

I sing opera so it's definitely one of my favourite genre's, although I am a huge music nerd and love all music. I've been obsessed with music since I was very young, this seems to be the case with alot of people with ADHD, maybe there is a link there or something. Who knows.

I used to sing opera and classical too... And I've been obsessed w/music since I can remember also... SO yeah, maybe there is a link. :rolleyes:

Yeah, classical is definitely one of my 10 ten favourite musical styles... along with hip hop, punk, metal, jazz, jazz fusion, trance, drum-n-bass, old-school country, and bluegrass. Oh man, I forgot classic rock, folk and funk... classical is definitely one of my top 13 favourite musical styles.

When I am feeling unjustifiably snappish and grumpy toward my girlfriend, I lock myself away and pump up the music for a while. Works great. I like classical when I am supposed to be reading or studying - it doesn't distract me like music with lots of lyrics.

THose bolded ones are my favorite genres.

livinginchaos
08-07-08, 02:24 AM
I'm a trained classical and broadway singer, too! it was my minor in college. Singing and music are what get me through rough times.

DotwithADD
08-07-08, 05:06 AM
Very few... but I do like "Moon River" is that a classical music song? Love Beethoven's 5th Symphony (I think that's what it's called)... and whoever wrote: "The Marriage of Figaro", oh, I googled it... was it "Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais"? Yup, some of it is soothing... Which is why I couldn't listen to it at work (when I am working)... or on an elevator... I'd be in "snooze" city!:eek::D

I think I like Mozart's music the best... some are so soothing. I wonder if he had a mental illness and/or some other illness... he died early in his age. But he was brilliant.

Ifeelpretty
08-07-08, 09:23 AM
Well, I wouldn't say that I love classical, although there are certain works that I just adore, like Faure Requiem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_%28Faur%C3%A9%29) (Libera Me is great for singing in the shower) and Moonlight Sonata. Pretty much, though, I am a soft rock/new age fan. Boring, huh? LOL.

My 12 year old son is fanatical about classical music, though. He drives me crazy with blaring it throughout the house! I have found that I don't like loud blaring music of any kind. I've never (no, not once) been to a rock concert. Loud music stresses me out. He cranks up the volume, I go turn it down. We even argue in the car about what music to listen to. He tries to change the station to classical, and I like to keep it on NPR or B98.5 (soft rock/pop). He really dislikes pop music. He is devoted to classical.

I have found that there are certain classical pieces that make me feel very stressed out. Bach's organ music, for example. I just can't handle Toccata in Fugue in D minor. I think I really don't like the overbearing sound of the organ. If the same music is done with other instruments, I am ok with it. For instance, I have a cd of classical guitar music, and it is relaxing and wonderful. I love it!

qhcowgirl
08-07-08, 12:25 PM
I'm a trained classical and broadway singer, too! it was my minor in college. Singing and music are what get me through rough times.

I would kill to be able to minor in voice. :o I'm the same way with music. It helps SO much. That's one reason I hate being at college... no piano, no musical intstruments, and I'm not comfortable singing b/c it disturbs people around me...

Mincan
08-07-08, 01:13 PM
My 12 year old son is fanatical about classical music, though. He drives me crazy with blaring it throughout the house! I have found that I don't like loud blaring music of any kind. I've never (no, not once) been to a rock concert. Loud music stresses me out. He cranks up the volume, I go turn it down. We even fight in the car about what music to listen to. He tries to change the station to classical, and I like to keep it on NPR or B98.5 (soft rock/pop). He really dislikes pop music. He is devoted to classical.

This is my story, but age 14 it started.

livinginchaos
08-07-08, 08:49 PM
I would kill to be able to minor in voice. :o I'm the same way with music. It helps SO much. That's one reason I hate being at college... no piano, no musical intstruments, and I'm not comfortable singing b/c it disturbs people around me...

i dealt with a lot of depression in college and if I wouldn't have had singing and a piano - it would have been awful. It was my escape and pouring my heart out.

I'm always singing . .. I bought a guitar for when i didn't have a piano nearby.

scarygreengiant
08-08-08, 12:51 AM
I LOVE classical music.

qhcowgirl
08-08-08, 02:24 PM
i dealt with a lot of depression in college and if I wouldn't have had singing and a piano - it would have been awful. It was my escape and pouring my heart out.

I'm always singing . .. I bought a guitar for when i didn't have a piano nearby.

Hmm, good idea. I should get a guitar. Should also bring my violin back down with me.

livinginchaos
08-08-08, 11:18 PM
I'm not proficient even now in guitar, but I taught myself to play good enough to sing along with my favorite songs. It's portable, while a piano really isn't!

I'm not a fan of keyboards (I love the pure sound of a piano), otherwise, I probably would have one. I really miss piano (i don't own one, plus I live in an apartment where the walls are paper thin), maybe I should just break down and get a keyboard. ..

When I was taking piano lessons in high school, I quit for the summers and started back up during the school year, my piano teacher told me that she didn't think I could learn how to play the last couple pages of Canon in D. I learned it that summer and surprised the heck out of her. Even had those awful chords perfected.

qhcowgirl
08-09-08, 04:24 AM
I don't like keyboards either but I'd sure love to have one right now. You know, you can get pianos off craigslist for free or super cheap if you want.

I love love love canon in D. I've been teaching myself to play George Winstons variation of Canon this summer. It's so beautiful!