View Full Version : Free software to block certain websites...?

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:06 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for some free software I can download that will block certain websites for me. I mean completely 'block' so that I cannot access those sites, rather than just blocking certain features. Because sites like facebook and youtube are nightmares when I have A levels to revise for!!

Plan is, at a certain time of the day (e.g 10pm) I will unblock the tempting sites and be able to use them for the rest of the evening. And before I go to bed, I'll block them all again so that in the morning I wont eb tempted :D

Does anyone know of such a dream software?
Or alternatively, does anyone know how I can change my internet settings to achieve the same result?

Thanks a lot, and happy new year by the way! I hope its a wonderful year for everyone.

-Dfto.

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 08:19 AM
Sorry again, found some software ^_^

I tried to meddle with the HOSTS file, but with no avail; it seems my computer is having none of it.

Yay! Stickies and Any Weblock fo' the winnn.

DeloresMelon
01-01-08, 01:48 PM
Unless you're giving the passwords to such software to someone else, I can't imagine them doing any good..... Make sure you have a "web buddy" to help you with this.

andersoj
01-01-08, 05:34 PM
That isn't a bad idea, I searched around a little and found this.

http://lifehacker.com/software/greasemonkey/invisibility-cloak-update-149252.php

haven't tried it yet, but it sounds promising.

Andrew
01-01-08, 06:47 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for some free software I can download that will block certain websites for me. I mean completely 'block' so that I cannot access those sites, rather than just blocking certain features. Because sites like facebook and youtube are nightmares when I have A levels to revise for!!

Plan is, at a certain time of the day (e.g 10pm) I will unblock the tempting sites and be able to use them for the rest of the evening. And before I go to bed, I'll block them all again so that in the morning I wont eb tempted :D

Does anyone know of such a dream software?
Or alternatively, does anyone know how I can change my internet settings to achieve the same result?

Thanks a lot, and happy new year by the way! I hope its a wonderful year for everyone.

-Dfto.

Windows Vista has some parental controls you can use. Otherwise, check out NetNanny or other such software that let you block access to websites, as well as control when you have access to the Internet.

andersoj
01-01-08, 09:22 PM
Windows Vista has some parental controls you can use. Otherwise, check out NetNanny or other such software that let you block access to websites, as well as control when you have access to the Internet.

He is trying to block himself, not his kids:p

See the link above, its the only thing I found designed to block yourself, that you can't override with a master password.

mijahe
01-30-08, 07:10 PM
The best way for an ADDer to block websites is to not have a 'puter to begin with.
In the past I've setup all sorts of automated blockers, but to no avail. When I'm working from home I suddenly find myself delving into ADDF, (or something else), for hours.
If you do - there's blockers for firefox - check the addons. Alternatively, you can setup a Linux box, and run dansguardian.
This is what I use - pretty good filter too. I think there may be a Windows version as well.

zdislaw
06-12-08, 03:15 PM
Depending on what you're willing to dig into, most network routers have some way to block certain sites. I use Verizon and the router they provide (ActionTec something-or-other) has an admin page where you can control access during certain times of day and to certain websites. Usually, you can get to your router's admin area by browsing to http://192.168.1.1/ in any Internet browser. It might be worth a try. And free if you've the right kind of router!

pythos
11-25-08, 06:44 PM
I ended up using a piece of software called "Privoxy". Basically it's a local proxy that you point your internet-capable programs to use. It filters ads and spam content by default, but you can specify your own list of sites to block, as well as customize your "blocked" page. It's a little more complex, but it's more complete than just using some browser plugins.

RobConcept
12-02-08, 11:50 PM
Don't know how I missed this one.

Try Leechblock (http://www.proginosko.com/leechblock.html) - its pretty solid. I use it regularly, and have the people I mentor use it to - no complaints yet!

RobConcept
12-02-08, 11:50 PM
should point out: its a firefox plugin