View Full Version : Musical instruments

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:26 AM
Wondering does anybody here like playing music?

I used to play the recorder(only for about 2 years), guitar (acoustic and electric)(5 and 4 years), and the saxophone(4 years). Plus choir and other dabblings.
I'm not interested in playing the recorder anymore, but I still like to play the guitars and the sax. Unfortunately its hard to find the time to relax like that anymore, and plus the sax is really loud and annoys everyone else in the house when they're trying to sleep XD

I'd really like to be able to play the drums, cello, and piano :) but dont have enough time or money at the moment. And I also improve my skills on the guitars and sax. Bring on the summer holidays!!!

So what about you? What instuments do/did you play? What would you like to play?

DontFeedThisOne
01-01-08, 07:30 AM
Inspired by Revs topic on classical music ^_^

livinginchaos
01-01-08, 03:28 PM
I took piano lessons for 10 years from 7 years old to 17 (I still love to play!). When I was in junior high and high school I played flute (10-15). I really didn't enjoy playing flute. I really wanted to play sax, but the band teacher told me I had to play flute.

I quit playing flute to sing in choir. I took vocal lessons from 15-22 (I minored in vocal in college). Then, in college I picked up guitar and taught myself how to play (i'm not great at it, but i get by!).

I say, if you want to play an instrument - go for it!!!! You could check out pawn shops to get the instruments you want to play - and get them cheaper than buying them new.

I love playing piano, especially. It's very relaxing for me. When i'm frustrated or upset I can just pound out songs and get it all out.

Matt S.
01-01-08, 03:43 PM
I used to play piano and violin and was trained to sing since I was 9.

It's amazing how ADHD seems to make me unable to see that a lot of member have a lot in common with me.

I took piano lessons for 10 years from 7 years old to 17 (I still love to play!). When I was in junior high and high school I played flute (10-15). I really didn't enjoy playing flute. I really wanted to play sax, but the band teacher told me I had to play flute.

I quite playing flute to sing in choir. I took vocal lessons from 15-22 (I minored in vocal in college). Then, in college I picked up guitar and taught myself how to play (i'm not great at it, but i get by!).

I say, if you want to play an instrument - go for it!!!! You could check out pawn shops to get the instruments you want to play - and get them cheaper than buying them new.

I love playing piano, especially. It's very relaxing for me. When i'm frustrated or upset I can just pound out songs and get it all out.

I was the Choral Student of the Year as a senior and auditioned for all sorts of music festivals and was accepted. It was fun but I get bored with things quickly so I don't play or sing much. If there's a piano I will pound out on it and will correct people when they are sharp or flat but besides that it is a liking of the past.

lars
01-01-08, 03:45 PM
I've been playing the trumpet & flugelhorn for about 25 years. I don't play much these days due to the demands of school, but every now and then I will get the urge to play.

The last time I played for an actual audience was about 8 years ago when I was a camp counselor at a summer camp in Appalachia. I would play "taps" at night when it was time for the kids to go sleep, and in the mornings I would play "revelry" to help wake them up.

Prior to that I used to play "taps" at military funerals for the local VFW, and prior to that I played in the band throughout middle school and high school. I made all state band my junior and senior years in high school.

bandie08
01-16-08, 12:12 PM
Now this is my kind of topic,

I play Trumpet (grades 6-present)
Saxophone and clarinet (few months)

so i guess trumpet is gonna be my primary instrument in college. unless my band director changes me to saxophone for some strange reason.

Teedrum
01-16-08, 11:15 PM
^----Drummer

sarsXdave
01-17-08, 12:12 AM
I tried. I got a red, smallish, Korean-made Strat from a pawn shop about the end of 8th grade. I stopped playing when I noticed around Junior year that almost all I ever did was learn to play the catchiest parts of songs, like that keyboard intro to "Take on Me" or the wee-dee-wee-dee-wee-doo part from "Tom Sawyer." The only songs I bothered to learn all the way through were a few 4 or 5 chord Green Day jams and "God Called in Sick Today" from back when AFI were on Nitro records.

I could blame it on ADHD, but I think it's more that I knew that the chances of doing what I wanted to were very slim. I wouldn't feel justified putting out music that sounded like anyone else, and I didn't trust myself to be that original. Playing other people's songs can be fun, but I get more out of spending that practice time on finding new albums instead. I don't know if it was worth the $300-500 I spent on equipment, but I will say it helped me understand music. I had no idea the majority of some of the prettiest or most impressive stuff I'd heard was just arpeggiated chords. Ironically, playing guitar actually turned me off of Dragonforce and Dream Theater (still love Rush, though!). A robot can play fast, but it takes a Brian Wilson or Kevin Shields to make something original and meaningful.

I'm glad you brought this up, this summer I may try to take my medicine, sit down, a learn a whole song.

Luthien
01-17-08, 12:32 AM
Piano since age 6, and self taught guitar since 14.

boone1
01-20-08, 02:27 PM
I've played the drums for about 3 years and guitar (both acoustic and electric) for years and years but I can't remember when I actually started. :cool:

r2d2
01-20-08, 10:52 PM
have played electric guitar for the last 20+yrs! Started playing in pubs before legal age - the usual rock cover band, playing hendrix, stones, cream, dylan, doors etc...oh and the old original!

Don't have time for a band anymore - i just jam alone...nothing beats a cranked marshall and an axe to rid of tension/stress ;)

Marty
01-21-08, 03:40 AM
I've played piano since like 11. Which is about 5 years ago.

supersomeone
03-10-08, 05:51 PM
:) trying so hard to learn the piano it is hard since i am trying to read sheet music i fool around with the drums,guitar,and rarely the bass.oh and i have been singing since i could talk lol :) I have this incredible urge to learn at least ten other instruments but I am trying to be realistic haha

shakepurmake
03-18-08, 03:57 PM
Im anxious to try to play electric guitar, but since I am taking lessons, my mom wants me to do accoustic first to learn chords+notes then move on to electric guitar.

Im pretty sure though, she just wants me to play accoustic because it costs a lot less and the amp+electric guitar cost a ton and 99% of the time she buys the cheapest things.

catecholamine2
03-19-08, 01:09 AM
Learning to play guitar is a wonderful thing. I would recommend starting on an acoustic guitar, though. You will progress much faster, for a number of reasons. I've come across a few teenage players that started on electric, but I notice their rhythm playing is usually somewhat weak.

If you want to be a great rhythm guitarist, you really need to get some serious hours acoustic guitar. And -- here's the thing a lot of beginners don't get -- all great _lead_ guitarists are great rhythm guitarists. You need to get the rhythm thing (chords, strumming) happening before you can play good lead lines.