View Full Version : Website and forum for inattentive ADD in the Netherlands

Luthien
01-02-08, 03:53 AM
Hallo :-)

er zijn twee websites specifiek voor ADHD-PI (primarily inattentive type / overwegend onoplettende type) - in tegenstelling tot in de USA wordt in nederland met ADD voornamelijk dit type bedoeld.

http://www.levente.nl
http://www.sadd.nl

Beide websites zijn gemaakt door Karin Windt, oprichter van de Stichting ADD Nederland, die zich specifiek op inattentive ADD richt omdat daarover in Nederland nog steeds veel minder bekend is dan over de gemengde en hyperactieve types (ADHD).

Er is ook een goedlopend forum specifiek voor inattentive ADD op
http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10371/

liefs
luthien (nederlandse in Canada)

lars
01-02-08, 04:05 AM
I wish I could speak Dutch, because I have inattentive ADD, and I would love to check out those links. :)

One of these days I will learn enough to keep up with the smarter members like yourself. :rolleyes:

Luthien
01-02-08, 05:11 AM
Some of http://www. (http://www.add-adhd.nl/Inattentive%20ADD%20foundation%20netherlands/start.htm)sadd.nl is translated in English. See the utmost right link in the menu bar, or follow http://www.add-adhd.nl/Inattentive%20ADD%20foundation%20netherlands/start.htm

Luthien
01-02-08, 05:14 AM
Some pages of http://sadd.nl/ are translated in English.
See the utmost right link in the menu bar, or follow http://www.add-adhd.nl/Inattentive%20ADD%20foundation%20netherlands/start.htm

meadd823
01-02-08, 06:19 AM
Lars have ya tried this cute little trick

Hallo :-)
There are two Web sites specifically for ADHD-PI (primarily inattentive type / predominantly onoplettende type) - unlike in the USA in netherlands with ADD mainly this type of position.

Both sites are created by Karin Windt, founder of the Foundation ADD Netherlands, which is specifically directed inattentive ADD in the Netherlands because it is still far less known than the mixed types and hyperactive (ADHD).

~Hyperlinks left out of post quote~

Google has a translation tool and it can be used to translate entire WEB pages - it can also be used to converse back

Ik denk niet dat ze weten meer over hyperactieve ADD, maar dat is niet het punt - Ik ben net doet dit om aan te tonen reverse vertaling

Englsih translation

I do not think they know any more about hyperactive ADD but that isn't the point - I am just doing this to show reverse translation.

Hope this helps

Luthien
01-02-08, 02:11 PM
Google has a translation tool and it can be used to translate entire WEB pages - it can also be used to converse back

I was going to say that these translation tools merely provide a good giggle than a readable translation, but I tried .. and it is not even that bad actually. It is actually understandable, even thought the syntax is horrible and a lot of words are missed.

thanks for the suggestion!

forget pares
01-20-08, 09:40 PM
Hallo, ik ben uit de Verenigde Staten van Amerika!

Ik zou graag willen bezoeken Europa voor een langere periode te bestuderen vreemde taal. Ik heb ADD en ik moet nemen Dexedrine (ik neem 3 x 15 mg spanules per dag).

Is dit een lastige propositie in Nederland? Hoe zou ik het vinden van een arts om het voor te schrijven? Wat is de duur van het voorschrijven zou worden geschreven voor (in de VS slechts 30 dagen zijn toegestaan)? Wat zou de betaling?

Of is er een betere county voor het omgaan met mijn situatie? Ik had niet als Nederland een bestemming vanwege de Marihuana, maar nu ik een heroverweging van dit, vooral omdat Duitsland niet toegestaan Dextroamphetamine.

Dank u wel.

---The original English---

Hello, I am from the United States of America!

I would like to visit Europe for an extended period of time to study foreign language. I have ADD and I must take Dexedrine (I take 3 x 15mg spanules per day).

Is this a difficult proposition in the Netherlands? How would I find a doctor to prescribe this? What is the duration the prescription would be written for (in the US only 30 days are allowed)? What would be the payment?

Or is there a better county for dealing with my situation? I had not considered the Netherlands a destination because of the Marijuana, but now I a reconsidering this, especially as Germany does not allow Dextroamphetamine.

Thank you.

Luthien
01-20-08, 10:43 PM
Hi Forget Pares

as far as I know the spansules are not available in the Netherlands, and neither is Adderall. But dextro-amphetamine is (how do you say that) custom-made by pharmacies upon request. I know of some ADD-ers that use dex over there. I live in Canada now, but will move back to the Netherlands in a couple of months. I use dexedrine spansules now myself so I face a similar situation.

I think that if you go to a family doctor and you have a good referral / diagnostic letter from the person that diagnosed you and prescribed your medication; that it should be possible to get a prescription for that dextro-amphetamine (only IR though, there is no extended release version available).

What I would do is just call a regular family doctor when you are over there and explain them the situation and see whether they are willing to help you. I am fairly positive that that will work out. I don't know for how long they prescribe over there, I'll ask someone and let you know.

The payment probably depends on the kind of insurance you will have. When you have a normal health insurance in the Netherlands they usually cover for your medication. In case of ADD meds however, only some of them cover meds like Concerta. Ritalin is usually covered.

I have no idea how the situation is in other European countries.

Jacob30
02-27-08, 12:26 PM
I remember my name is Jacob.

Germany apparently has amphetamine but no Dexedrine. It is the same situation, the pharmacy has to formulate juice or capsules. I think this is to discourage abuse.

France has Ritalin but no Dexedrine or amphetamine.

I am on my way to Germany in a few days. I will report back if there is an issue or not. I am wondering about Moscow, Budapest and Istanbul. I don't forsee any problem but if there are I'll be back in a flash. I don't take this stuff for my health you know.

Jacob30
04-02-08, 06:19 AM
OK I report:
I have been traveling. I have been to Berlin, Paris, Munich, Vienna, Bratislava, Stuttgart and Amsterdam. I am currently in Amsterdam.

In Vienna I saw a Psychiatie. It took a few dozen phone calls to reach a human who spoke English. I got the phone numbers from the government website listing of doctors which features mapping of locations and specialty. There is an unspecified difference between "Neurologen and Psychiatie" and "Psychiatie and Neurologen". I was prescribed Ritalin by her and she was helpful but also informed me that this was not a common diagnosis/treatment in Austria.

The Ritalin (I've been taking 70 or 80mg's/day, or 60 and 10 or 20) is effective but not as effective as the Dexedrine. It makes me slightly nervous at 40mg which is not effective. This is sort of an undesirable side-effect. I am a reserved individual, and I become hesitant socially. Not problematic, really, as I am able to cope. The nervousness makes a little more fastidious. It makes my head a little hot (similar to Adderall) and I was bit dizy at first.

So I have come to Amsterdam. Unfortunately they don't ever prescribe enough medication for the wait to get a Dr.'s appointment. I have made an appointment with a psychiatrist in Amsterdam who speaks English.

In Stuttgart I was not able to find a Doctor who would treat an English speaking patient (although everyone else in Stuttgart spoke unbroken English).

I flew several times with the Dexedrine prescription in my carry-on and was never questioned about it.

Jacob30
04-18-08, 11:11 AM
I saw the Doctor in Amsterdam. He spoke English as a first language (most people speak English very well in Amsterdam anyways). He prescribed the dexamphetamine (as it is termed in the Netherlands). The only difference between the old prescription and the new one is these are not time release "Spanules" -- which is probably for the best since time release can be unpredictable. Prescriptions are only written for 2 weeks (at first at least).

14 days X 9 tablets of 5mg's = 126 tablets

Opium act statutes limit the supplier to 120 maximum tablets (there is an anti-"harddrugs" standard that is pushed by the regulators of the rec-drugs culture). So, I am short one day on my prescription. The medication had to be ordered from a supplier who had to order from a supplier due to short supply. This process took 12 days, which means I will be dropping off one prescriptions and receiving the old one while taking one that is a month old. Sort of an juggling act that seems like it could leave me without medication and a lot pharmacy visits. Hopefully the Doctor will be liberal with overlapping prescriptions. The pharmacy seemed keen on keeping me supplied, they just had a hard time doing it. Nothing was prepared, I received the medication in unopened bottles of 30.

The price was €12.43 for 126x5mg tablets or €12.17 for the 120x5mg I received -- compare to $64US for 45x15mg for the non-wholesale price (which insurance companies arrange with the pharmacies pay -- usually half the "retail" price). The psychiatier charged €50 for about an hour. This is substantially more affordable for someone who does not have any insurance (probably not a good thing, but I am good at avoiding collisions in the many lanes of transits). He was a bit more rational, perhaps because he was British. I don't think he was terribly familiar with the ADHD diagnosis, however. I had one of my Dr.'s receipt with an insurance procedure code for ADD, a Dr.'s business card and prescription bottle, and this sufficed for evidence of diagnosis. I got the impression that use of rec-drugs contradicts such a prescription (as it would everywhere else), so this is limited opportunity despite the dope-smoker tourism industry.

I have read that one should first see a huisart or GP first, then be referred to a psychiatrist. I had some difficulty finding the GP. It was easier to look up the pychiatier directly, call him, speak English at his Dutch, and hope he speaks the English. There are fewer Dr.'s with receptionists (you get answering machine or the Dr. him/herself), and most are in private residences rather than clinics.

They say "Hui!" :)

Zerbinetta
04-19-08, 07:57 AM
Much as I'm rooting for Jacob in his quest to obtain medication in these wind-swept flatlands, I'd like to return to the thread's original topic for a bit.

As a Dutch female with clear impulse control/hyperactivity issues, I'm finding the emphasis on inattentive-type ADD in women rather disconcerting. I've actually had people - female ADDers, even - tell me women don't get hyperactive, they get inattentive. I'm thinking this may have to do with a general knee-jerk reaction I keep experiencing in this country when it comes to displaying emotion and agitation.

The Netherlands is supposed to be a country where anything goes. I've found that what looks like an absence of explicit social directives actually points to an extreme and very thorough internalisation of those rules. In a country like Belgium, social convention may require one not to show one's emotions; this may or may not relate to Catholicism. In contrast, Dutch Protestantism as I've experienced it these past twenty-odd years actually proscribes having strong emotions. Suffice to say life in the lowlands has not been easy on my rococo self.

I expect some people, at least, to disagree with these claims, so fire away. I'd love to see this develop into a proper analysis.

mondy
04-23-08, 12:51 PM
Luthien - series of very boring questions - please bear with me as trying desperately to make some sense of meds. I am on staright Dex - after giving up on Ritalin - it seems tobe much better when it works - which is not stable - therefore these questions......AlsoI am going to the Netherlands next week - do they have anything else over there we cannot get in the UK - adderall dexedrine spansules, Vyvanse(dream on). - whats your take on Dexedrine making me feel very sleepy and somewhat depressed - I take 25mg in the morning - that seems to work OK then is starts wearing off about 1 oclock and today took 30 mgs then (and 20mgs int eh afternoon and the 10 20 in the evening - today felt like I had been hit be a sledgehammer in the afternoon - yes knockout depressed and awful (am I right that somevpeople take a large dose in the morning and then less in the day??? - does anyone take over 80mgs a day or what roughly is the average adult dose -- also how many times a day do most people find it necessary to take straight dex 3 or 4 times. Is the tiredness now just getting used to meds and will pass in about a week or toohigh - when I started anything under 15mgs made me instantaly feel drowsy snf tired and down - then I upped the does and it seemed to make a noticeable difference to ADD symptoms- never experienced any of the so called highs or euphoria - so any thoughts on the above, Sorry to quizz you - but just a general impression - you are n straight dex arent you - and not on spansules and prefer it. thanks so much.....

sarek
07-08-08, 01:58 PM
The Netherlands is supposed to be a country where anything goes. I've found that what looks like an absence of explicit social directives actually points to an extreme and very thorough internalisation of those rules. In a country like Belgium, social convention may require one not to show one's emotions; this may or may not relate to Catholicism. In contrast, Dutch Protestantism as I've experienced it these past twenty-odd years actually proscribes having strong emotions.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. After all, we Dutch have a saying, "doe maar gewoon, dan doe je gek genoeg" freely translated as "you better act normal, that's crazy enough already"
Needless to say, those deeply ingrained social restrictions can be quite chafing for somewhat with ADD.

Jacob30
08-09-08, 08:15 AM
I am in Berlin, Germany right now. I know that Dexedrine is not available in Germany but racimic amphetamine is (there's nostalgia for you).

I went to Doctor and she looked at my American and Dutch pharmacy bottles and then had to search for something. I went back twice and she could not find it. I asked if she looked under her desk and behind the couch. :p I may try another Doctor (her name was decievingly masculine).

I'd prefer to stay in Holland but the price for accomodations is outragous.

There is some "we make that with our chemistry set [why bother]" attituder here in Germany. Which is a curious thing. In the US the laws are very strict (ever see "COPS") and so my experimentation was only just that, and I paid the small price not the big one. I wonder what the penalty is for such science here.

meadd823
09-09-08, 04:30 PM
As a Dutch female with clear impulse control/hyperactivity issues, I'm finding the emphasis on inattentive-type ADD in women rather disconcerting. I've actually had people - female ADDers, even - tell me women don't get hyperactive, they get inattentive.

Horse hocky - I am hyperactive and I am female. . . ..

I find all "elitism" annoying no matter what sub-type adopts it - It is illogical and unproductive. I think focusing on ways to help us pay attention to what we are supposed to be paying attention to when we are supposed to be paying attention to it would be much more beneficial than dissecting ADD subtypes - but that is a personal opinion. I am sorry you are not finding female support for hyperactive ADD - it is rare but you are by no means alone.

Jacob30
12-04-08, 05:59 PM
I aquired Dexedrine in Berlin, Germany. The prescription was written on a standard prescription form for Dexedrine 15 mg 100 spanules. It took about 8 weeks to arrive (imported from the USA) and was exorbanatly expensive ~450 euros. If it was imported dextroamphetamine from Holland it might have been cheaper. I saw an ADD expert.