View Full Version : Does anyone else taking sleeping pills??

liiise
01-06-08, 08:53 PM
i hear so many people who don't sleep well, i take mg adderall in the am and at night, immovane or lorazepam to get to sleep! am i the only one who has to do this to sleep????

lars
01-06-08, 09:20 PM
No, rest assured (pardon the pun) you're not the only one.

I have taken so many different sleep aids (prescription & OTC) over the years that it would be hard to put together a list of them all.

I have found that as the years have gone on that I need them less and less. However, during the first 7 or 8 years after being diagnosed I think I needed them more often than not. I still keep some on hand, because I periodically still suffer from insomnia. Usually these days it's more associated with stressing out over exams, and finals more so than being a side effect of the meds anymore.

Looking back I think my favorites were Halcion, Restoril, Ambien, Sonata, and Lunesta. However, my Dr really did not like me using the addictive ones for longer than 7 to 10 days at a stretch due to me being such a chronic herb smoker/party-er back in those days (a fact that I never hid from my Dr).

Anyhoot, a couple of years back my Dr let me try some samples he had of the latest sleeping med approved by the FDA called Rozerem. It's a melatonin agonist, and I have found it to be very therapeutic, and actually to be a perfect sleeping med for me.

It's designed to help a person fall asleep by triggering their own internal sleep mechanism if you will, instead of knocking someone out like a traditional sedative/hypnotic typically does. I started to read about it and it turns out that it's the first FDA approved prescription sleeping med that is not a controlled substance. It's great for people like myself who only have a problem with falling asleep, but it's not so great for people who have trouble staying asleep and trend to wake periodically throughout the night.

Anyhoot, sorry to ramble on and on, but I do love talking about things like this. :o

auntchris
01-06-08, 09:42 PM
I don't necessarily take a sleep per se. I take Celexa in the evening. One of the side effects is drowiness. It helps during sleep.

Shasta
01-31-08, 06:24 PM
My son has to take 30 mg of Remeron to be able to sleep , he takes 20 mg of adderall in the am and at noon, if he takes his adderall after noon, he cannot go to sleep at night even taking his remeron .

edge of reason
01-31-08, 07:26 PM
Having had insomnia since i was a child, i notice it has only gotten worse over the years. i've been on things like Trazadone, but really Restoril was the only thing my body didn't become accustomed to. When i found out it's a class X drug ( causes SEVERE birth defects ), i switched to 50 mg of benadryl every night. The only problem is that now i've had to up it to 75mg a night, cause 50 doesn't work anymore.

Will be asking my pdoc if she can prescribe something else at next appt.

scottm
01-31-08, 09:29 PM
I used to take stuff to help me sleep:

1) *pams - made me more excited than anything
2) Imovane - same thing
3) Olanzapine - Put me to sleep for the first few days but not after that
4) Risperdal - same deal

Since I started on Concerta (with a Ritalin booster) I sleep better now than ever. Now these are the only two hed-medz I take.

For some reason, I can take 15mg of Ritalin-IR and fall fast asleep within the hour (which is why I only take it between 5 and 8pm)

When telling this to my p/doc he was very surprised by this. I guess I consider myself lucky that I don't have sleeping problems - nor appetite problems (in fact, due to my G.I. condition, I can eat very high-fat/junk food which helps me maintain 155-160 lbs - otherwise I'd be a skeleton again).

mochakk
01-31-08, 10:45 PM
I'm experiencing the opposite - sleeping 10+ hours and still tired early on the next day. It could be the depression causing the fatigue - I'm on 27 concerta 40 g Prozac, but that seems to have zero stimulating effect.

netsavy006
02-12-08, 03:16 PM
I take medication occasionally to help sleep at night. You are definitely not alone. I take Lunesta when I have problems getting to sleep.

Brakna
02-12-08, 04:16 PM
During the work week I have trouble going to bed before 11 pm and getting up at 6:30-7 am. So once or twice during the week I take night time cold medicine. This probably isn't good but I don't want to take sleeping pills either. I need at least eight hours of sleep or I'm a complete mess and get nothing done.

drumn4state
11-10-08, 03:24 PM
I take ambien on a regular basis. I have been taking it for years because of the inability to "shut off" my thoughts to put myself to sleep. I am certain I am dependent on them, as I can't seem to fall asleep very often with out taking one.

xraylady33
11-10-08, 03:26 PM
Ambien X 10 years...
Sweet Nectar of the Gods...

meriellyn
11-10-08, 04:06 PM
I take Restoril. Have been on using it for about 3 years now, I guess.

I've tried a whole slew meds for sleep... Trazadone, Ambien, Ambien CR, Lunesta, Neurontin (that doc was a real winner :P), Klonopin, Xanax...

None of the other stuff was effective, aside from the Xanax.

My sleep woes started well before I was prescribed stims though. I've had sleep problems my whole life. :P

chowmix
11-10-08, 04:36 PM
If I need a boost to go to sleep, I'll try meditating or take a 50mg benadryl.

I sleep better, deeper, and awake fresher since I started concerta.

Before starting concerta while on wellbutrin and celexa, I believe I didn't sleep as deeply because I'd have to go to bed earlier and woke up tired and often needed a nap.

I'm still taking the wellbutrin/celexa combo.

chsguy88
11-11-08, 04:03 AM
My sleeping problems really started after i got in a drunk driving accident almost losing my life. Along with depression, adhd, and anxiety... the wreck also brought with it severe insomnia.

Started out on 2mg Ativan for sleep. After about 6 months of that, my psych suggested we try non benzo sleep aids and started 50 mg. of Trazodone, which then got upped to 100mg. The trazodone worked for sleep but made me so sluggish the next day so then we switched to Remeron (15mg then 30mg). The Remeron worked but eventually lost its effectiveness and made me gain weight like crazy........ I HAD to eat every night after taking it, it made me so hungry, i finally refused to take it and switched doctors..

First prescribed Rozerem but it was 40 dollars a month on my insurance plan, and the week free trial i got had NO EFFECT on me what so ever.... Then he prescribed Lunesta which was AMAZING!!!! I've NEVER gotten that quality of sleep, nor ever been able to fall asleep that fast or early. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but other than that its amazing.

Now due to a change in the insurance formulary, ambien CR would cost about half as much as the Lunesta so i've been giving that a try now and I'm not too sure about it. It's a lot different than Lunesta, it hits me like a truck, and instead of just making me tired and drift off to sleep, i feel drugged. I had to walk to the restroom the other day after taking it and almost fell over! Also my dad and i were talking a few mornings ago and he said something about talking to me the night prior while i was heating up some food. I didn't even recall going upstairs, making food, talking to my dad, and eating. He probally thought i was on drugs! Just for the record, this never happened on Lunesta, and also I'm taking the AmbienCR just as prescribed... 12.5mg right before bed. Do these, effects lessen with time while the sedative effect remains? Or do i just have to say a prayer, pop the pill, and if something happens blame it on the ambien?

Johnny123
11-11-08, 05:36 AM
I desperately need sleeping pills. But i've found that if you get off the computer, stop watching TV and do something which requires ZERO concentration like relaxing or drinking a cup of tea , about 1-2 hours before you plan to goto sleep. I get to sleep alot easier, but still that time spent rolling around in my bed and fluffing my pillow every 30 seconds as it gets uncomfortable. Then the stage of itchiness comes in, not everywhere but just in little spots i'll feel i need to itch it which keeps me up longer.

meriellyn
11-11-08, 12:16 PM
My sleeping problems really started after i got in a drunk driving accident almost losing my life. Along with depression, adhd, and anxiety... the wreck also brought with it severe insomnia.

Started out on 2mg Ativan for sleep. After about 6 months of that, my psych suggested we try non benzo sleep aids and started 50 mg. of Trazodone, which then got upped to 100mg. The trazodone worked for sleep but made me so sluggish the next day so then we switched to Remeron (15mg then 30mg). The Remeron worked but eventually lost its effectiveness and made me gain weight like crazy........ I HAD to eat every night after taking it, it made me so hungry, i finally refused to take it and switched doctors..

First prescribed Rozerem but it was 40 dollars a month on my insurance plan, and the week free trial i got had NO EFFECT on me what so ever.... Then he prescribed Lunesta which was AMAZING!!!! I've NEVER gotten that quality of sleep, nor ever been able to fall asleep that fast or early. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but other than that its amazing.

Now due to a change in the insurance formulary, ambien CR would cost about half as much as the Lunesta so i've been giving that a try now and I'm not too sure about it. It's a lot different than Lunesta, it hits me like a truck, and instead of just making me tired and drift off to sleep, i feel drugged. I had to walk to the restroom the other day after taking it and almost fell over! Also my dad and i were talking a few mornings ago and he said something about talking to me the night prior while i was heating up some food. I didn't even recall going upstairs, making food, talking to my dad, and eating. He probally thought i was on drugs! Just for the record, this never happened on Lunesta, and also I'm taking the AmbienCR just as prescribed... 12.5mg right before bed. Do these, effects lessen with time while the sedative effect remains? Or do i just have to say a prayer, pop the pill, and if something happens blame it on the ambien?

That's not unusual with Ambien. It's a pretty weird drug and has a tendency to cause people not to remember things they do after they think they're asleep.

Many people have no problems like this but some do and I've seen people do some very dangerous things they had no recollection of after taking Ambien. Since you seem to be someone who is affected in this way, if you can afford it, I'd seriously consider going back to Lunasta.

GL3NE
11-19-08, 08:41 AM
I have this itching sensation occasionally while trying to fall asleep, too. It's really irritating.

gnbeg
11-20-08, 10:24 PM
Started to have trouble with insomnia a couple of years ago. Lots of stress from my ADD son and from my work. Doctor thinks I was/am depressed.

Tried Lunesta. Didn't do squat. Tried Lexipro. Helped the depression a little but not the sleep.

Ambien works OK. Definitely helps me GET to sleep, but doesn't always result in a good nights sleep. Finally, my doctor gave me Seroquel. It knocks me on my butt.

Occasionally, I bite off half an Ambien to get to sleep and the Seroquel does the rest.

Now, I'm taking Wellbutin for undiagnosed ADHD. My Dr. is a little concerned about Wellbution + Seroquel, so I'm backing off the Seroquel a little bit. Sleep is suffering but it's not as bad as it has been.

Hope this helps.

icedcacti
11-21-08, 01:44 AM
Here's what works ok for me (I say ok because I don't have to do this every night, just nights when I take 15mg dex at 6pm):
(Keep in mind I'm pretty sensitive to meds so I take stupidly low dosages)
Either 1. Benadryl (make sure it isn't combined with something else). I take 12.5 mg (1/2 tab) and it knocks me out, but I am still a little groggy in the morning,
or 2. Melatonin tablets (the kind you dissolve under your tongue). These don't seem to work for my boyfriend but help me a lot. I can take just .5mg and sleep through the night.
Also, if you have trouble waking up at the same time every night, someone once told me that's a blood sugar problem. Your blood sugar has dropped too low and it wakes you up. If you can eat a little something before bed (or better yet, drink a glass of soy or moo milk b/c of the protein), you might feel much better. Also try eating a little when you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

reesah
11-21-08, 04:34 AM
right now my cardio doc has me alternating. one night ambien, next night temazepam, next night lunesta. rinse, repeat.

she says it will keep me from beginning to tolerate any one of them. the lunesta doesn't do jack. the ambien is great but when I was only using that it started making me have very weird dreams and I'd wake up starving. also didn't keep me asleep through the night. the temazepam knocks me cold. but it's hard to wake up in the morning after.

I've been an insomniac my entire life, can't fall asleep, then can't get up in the morning. unless it's a few hours too early. ugh.

ndnbutterfly
11-21-08, 01:26 PM
That's not unusual with Ambien. It's a pretty weird drug and has a tendency to cause people not to remember things they do after they think they're asleep.

Many people have no problems like this but some do and I've seen people do some very dangerous things they had no recollection of after taking Ambien. Since you seem to be someone who is affected in this way, if you can afford it, I'd seriously consider going back to Lunasta.

I take a Xanax every night or I can't sleep. My grandmother is prescribed Ambien 10mg as needed for sleep and she does do things in her sleep. She talks ALOT and tries to mess with the curtains (practically pulling them down!) or tries to get out of bed. Which is not good because she is very off balance and falls alot. But if I give her half of one she sleeps just fine. It's really wierd. My kids complain about her talking so much in her sleep that it wakes them up (they sleep in the room next to hers).

hollywood
11-21-08, 04:25 PM
Everyone should try focusing on reading and trying your best to comprehend the material your reading, I know this sounds lame but buy two books. One for pleasure and the other for education and applicational style learning like learning how to build or home improvement type things. It's important to make this material the type of learning that involves tactile and auditory functions. Meaning one you learn it you have to apply your skill and use your categorical skills... Doing both of these things routinely and making them part of your daily routine. You'd be surprised how much the mind will be at ease when your doing things that stimulates your brain in a good way , it creates better functioning and calms your mind as your feeding it the things its craving. The brain is like your gut in a sense, don't feed it the stuff it needs and all you get are the cramps and stomach pains. Hope the analogy wasn't too cheesy.

meriellyn
11-22-08, 11:41 PM
I tried Melatonin too. Forgot about that one. I had horrible dreams and still felt half awake all night. Also took forever to totally wake up.
I hear it works for some people but I had the same results all three times I gave it a shot (over the span of about a decade).

Everyone should try focusing on reading and trying your best to comprehend the material your reading, I know this sounds lame but buy two books. One for pleasure and the other for education and applicational style learning like learning how to build or home improvement type things. It's important to make this material the type of learning that involves tactile and auditory functions. Meaning one you learn it you have to apply your skill and use your categorical skills... Doing both of these things routinely and making them part of your daily routine. You'd be surprised how much the mind will be at ease when your doing things that stimulates your brain in a good way , it creates better functioning and calms your mind as your feeding it the things its craving. The brain is like your gut in a sense, don't feed it the stuff it needs and all you get are the cramps and stomach pains. Hope the analogy wasn't too cheesy.

While this is not a bad general suggestion, I don't really see how it would keep me from needing sleeping pills...

Especially since I already do this regularly.

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 04:22 AM
i hear so many people who don't sleep well, i take mg adderall in the am and at night, immovane or lorazepam to get to sleep! am i the only one who has to do this to sleep????

Welcome to central nervous system stimulants.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is cheap, over the counter, and works really well for me. It's an antihistamine that will kill the adderall in about 1 hour after taking it. I take between 50-200 mg diphenhydramine to sleep every day.

300 mg = max daily dose.

1500 mg = lowest lethal dose to 80 kg person.

If you go to the pharmacy or grocery store, you will notice that all the allergy and sleep medications are pretty much the same thing: diphenhydramine. Just buy the cheapest bottle per milligram (make sure it's only diphenhydramine in it and not a mixture of other stuff).

Benadry/diphen has a 2-8 hour halflife, so you will have to see how quickly your body gets rid of it. For me, it takes about 5 hours to wear off. My wife says it makes her tired all the next day. It just depends on the person.

Diphenhydramine: cheap, no prescription, and basically awesome for insomnia due to adderall.

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 04:27 AM
Having had insomnia since i was a child, i notice it has only gotten worse over the years. i've been on things like Trazadone, but really Restoril was the only thing my body didn't become accustomed to. When i found out it's a class X drug ( causes SEVERE birth defects ), i switched to 50 mg of benadryl every night. The only problem is that now i've had to up it to 75mg a night, cause 50 doesn't work anymore.

Will be asking my pdoc if she can prescribe something else at next appt.

Why bother? Just because something is prescription doesn't mean it is better.

You can go way higher on benadryl than 75 mg and be just fine. Generic benadryl is around 10 cents a pill (25 mg). The prescription crap is way more expensive, and some of it is addictive.

pADDyjay
11-23-08, 05:09 AM
In take melatonin when I have trouble falling asleep
Im allergic to benadryl, I have restless leg syn. and its not bothersome every night but if I take small dose of benadryl my whole body shakes and my heart feels like its beating out of control and I wind up all over the map. I have a script for .25mg ativan but I can only fill it once a month /that helps me too. take care

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 05:14 AM
In take melatonin when I have trouble falling asleep
Im allergic to benadryl, I have restless leg syn. and its not bothersome every night but if I take small dose of benadryl my whole body shakes and my heart feels like its beating out of control and I wind up all over the map. I have a script for .25mg ativan but I can only fill it once a month /that helps me too. take care

That is precisely why I have this signature on the forums. Some of my doctor-sounding advice might end up killing someone if they don't take it with a grain of salt.

Talk to your doc about what med will help. Beyond that, make sure you're exercising. Exercise helps your body regulate sleep cycles. Just walking a few times around the block helps. You don't have to become an exercise freak.

pADDyjay
11-23-08, 05:25 AM
:):)hey captain, not to worry I always enjoy your posts and I would never confuse you with a doc:rolleyes: thanks again for making me smile

CaptainADHD
11-23-08, 06:57 AM
:):)hey captain, not to worry I always enjoy your posts and I would never confuse you with a doc:rolleyes: thanks again for making me smile

I smell sarcasm!

This forum is new to the phomonominonon of me. You have yet to see me use gigantic and intimidating jargon from varies scientific fields of which I have no actual understanding. This signature will pay off in the end, mark my rhetorical verbiage.

pADDyjay
11-24-08, 01:58 AM
:)oh captain sarcasm..moi:rolleyes: Ive not yet started my rapid fire comebacks:) looking forward to some great verbal jousts:) thanks again for making me laugh

ADDMagnet
11-24-08, 09:30 PM
I could fall asleep fine at night but I would wake up numerous times during the night and this went on for a few years before I finally consulted a doctor about it. I tried the Ambien and Sonata but they didn't help. I think I did get an extra hour in with the Ambien but I still woke up during the night numerous times. I had a sleep study done as well. Then I was given Trazodone and that was the magic pill for me. It enables me to get a good night's sleep without being drowsy the next day. It's not addictive either and doesn't have the problems that Ambien sometimes causes.

Another plus is that since it is an older medication, I can get a month's supply at Walmart at the $4 price.

elegy
11-25-08, 09:05 PM
I take Seroquel at night, usually it knocks me out. I generally chew it and/or let it dissolve under my tongue. Tastes like sin, but makes it work a little faster. It also makes my mouth numb. :eek: I honestly have a special place in my heart for Seroquel. <3

I have never been a good sleeper, even since early childhood. I guess I'm naturally that way. But within the past 5-6 years, it's unbearable. Keep in mind I'm also all sorts of crazy, which probably impacts my quality of sleep. I've tried all sorts of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, a pint of 100 proof vodka, nyquil, etc to help me sleep. Not one has been substantially helpful.

When I would take myself off of my meds within those 5 or so years, I wouldn't sleep until I took something. I have stayed up for 6 days straight, without the aid of any form of chemical or substance. Not even coffee. My sleep has gotten better, where I can get about 2 hours of sleep if I somehow manage to find myself without my Seroquel. It's also my anti-psychotic, so not taking it impacts more than just my sleep. :p

elpaso95
12-19-08, 06:08 PM
hello Edge Of Reason:
I Also Have Chronic Insomnia. I Get My Pills Free From The ( MHMRA). The Best Combination Of Pills That Have Been Best & Also Works For me Is

#1 remeron ( mirtazapine) 15mg " Helps You To Fall Asleep "

#2 ambien ( zolpidem tartrate) 10 mg " Keeps You Asleep Throughout The Night "

Take One Of Each Together With 6 ounce Hot Tea @ 11:00 pm For Insomnia Relief.

I Hope This Will Be helpfull To You
" my psych has removed my ambien & i am livid about it "

please vsisit my blog http://elpaso95.blogspot.com/

p.s. i have been doing research & i have found remeron 30 pills 15 mg $25.50
ambien 30 pills 10 mg $89.00

leave me a message @ elpaso95@gmail.com