View Full Version : Trouble with Spanish Help

bandie08
01-08-08, 12:04 PM
Iím getting tired of Spanish its way to hard because

-there is a class of like 25 students and 1 teacher.
-I barely get any attention at all.
-I can't write in spanish
-I can't read in spanish

I really want to do well in the class but itís hard because of my learning disability. I talked to my teacher about it. Itís hard for me because itís mostly auditory learning. I have auditory processing disorder that co-exists with ADHD. So hearing it doesnít help me learn it. I have to see it or have it hands on. I actually do better with pictures then with words. I am actually thinking about dropping the class but its after the first quarter so its too late. Is it harder for people with adhd/add to learn foreign language?

Guest1
01-08-08, 12:33 PM
I herd from other people that foreighn language is hard just for anyone to learn it

Aratsu
01-08-08, 01:21 PM
I have ADD (Combined), however I have always had a knack for languages. I've taught myself basic conversational Dutch, Esperanto, and have been taking Spanish for about 6 years (High School and College Level), and while I am not fluent, I am fully able to understand most common dialogue, read a newspaper, watch the news, etc.

I have always had an extremely difficult time with my other classes in school, English and Math especially (Funny, I am 100% fluent, reading and writing in English as my native tongue, but I am better at writing compositions in Spanish. Go figure.) I'm not exactly sure what my strategy is when learning languages except for buy a whole lot of newspapers, books, comics, and watch television (Univision and Telemundo are wonderful resources, although it may be a bit difficult with them speaking so fast, especially for a beginner).

Spanish is an extremely useful language to know nowadays, especially in the United States with the hispanic population expected to outnumber most of the other minority groups here. I've been to areas of South Florida and Arizona where my knowledge of the language has come in handy in many different situations. I understand the difficulty with certain classes, but I would highly recommend trying to stick with it. Have you checked with your school to see if there are any foreign language tutoring services available? There are a couple of people that were struggling immensely in my 2001 class last semester, and after a couple of weeks of one-on-one tutoring with one of the upper level Spanish student, they ended up bringing their grades up from a D to a B.

Large classes do make learning a language difficult; I remember when I took 1001 my freshman year and we had 45 students in the classroom, and 40 desks. Luckily I decided to bite the bullet and go with the 15 students that decided to take the TBA (To Be Announced) teacher, and I was so glad that I did. Might you be able to switch into a different section, with less people in it?

Anyways, good luck, and I do recommend sticking with it, because once you get the hang of the language (Basic verb tenses, etc.), it is, for the most part, a cinch to pick up the rest (At least in my case it was.)

supersomeone
01-09-08, 06:32 PM
haha oh my gosh i have the same problem ! i have add with a image perception thing and processioning time but it takes me forever to get the correct answer and my teacher always calls on me lol but yeah I hear where you are coming from

arkyle
01-09-08, 07:06 PM
I'm mexican and spanish is harder to learn than many other languages because it's a romance language. I know english and a bit of german. I always lose interest after some months so I'm taking it as optional subject in school to force myself. I understand Italian since I spent a summer in Italy and it is similar to Spanish.

Aratsu
01-09-08, 07:14 PM
Nah, just because it is a romance language doesn't mean that is hard. It's just different. I took Latin throughout middle school, and have been exposed to Spanish and Italian since early on in my life (Not taught, but my parents had a lot of friends from Italy and EspaŮa, Mexico, and Ecuador), so learning it in school was actually quite interesting and easy for me, as I was then able to (at least partially) understand them.

bandie08
01-12-08, 12:28 AM
its just soo frusturating because i feel like the more i try the more i fail. I can't afford to fail I made a promise with my band director about no Ds or Fs and if that happends hes gonna let me do pit orchestra this year.

QueensU_girl
01-12-08, 12:30 AM
Yup.

ADDers tend to have poor auditory memory ('listening memory'). This can impede 'learning by listening'.

You'll find you need more repetition and practice than the other kids.

arkyle
02-10-08, 08:54 PM
Nah, just because it is a romance language doesn't mean that is hard. It's just different. I took Latin throughout middle school, and have been exposed to Spanish and Italian since early on in my life (Not taught, but my parents had a lot of friends from Italy and EspaŮa, Mexico, and Ecuador), so learning it in school was actually quite interesting and easy for me, as I was then able to (at least partially) understand them.

They are way harder than english, but you took Latin since early childhood, and that's an advantage. Every romance languaje is easier to learn if you already know one of them.

Aratsu
02-11-08, 09:18 AM
English itself is highly influenced by 11th century Norman French vocabulary, due to the events that occurred during the Norman Conquest in 1066, and in the USA, there are a ton of loanwords that are being introduced into our modern American english vocabulary that, despite the gap in language families between English and Spanish, there is quite a bit of the language (including the massive amount of cognates between the two languages) that is not as foreign as one would think, but I do agree that having Latin did help to some extent, at least to give me a reference for the root words (But Latin grammar and Spanish grammar are so wildly different that it wasn't /THAT/ much of a help ;) )