View Full Version : My daughter has depression, anxiety, anger, etc., etc., etc.

Brookey
01-09-08, 02:18 AM
It seems that my daughter has clinical depression, not bi-polar as was originally suspected.

She was admitted into a hospital this morning because she was very very VERY messed up last night. It seems that her dad is the catalyst for her severe suicidal ideation now. I caught her in the process of trying to hang herself. I was so devastated. I called her doctor and was instructed to get her to a local mental health hospital. She's been put on Effexor XR 37.5 mg., and we're watching her very closely.

Dealing with all this has exacerbated MY clinical depression. But I have to be the strong one.

Thanks for letting me vent.

QueensU_girl
01-09-08, 02:23 AM
Glad you are reaching out and posting.

Teedrum
01-12-08, 04:12 AM
hope all goes well....just do the best you can to support your daughter and love her...she'll see it

keep us updated

thoughts*

pollyweather
01-31-08, 10:54 AM
My mom went through the same thing with me when I was thirteen. Trust me, just stay by your daughter's side and let her know she's not alone. I don't know how the relationship between you and your daughter is, but like Teedrum said, do the best you can to pull through this nasty mess, and she will see how much you love her. Hang in there.

busyhermit
01-31-08, 11:30 AM
How are you and your daughter doing, Brookey?

You didn't mention how old she was - I was curious because 37.5 mg is a super-low dose for Effexor. I've been on Effexor and was told that even 75 mg was low-dose for an adult, and that 150 was standard. I also was curious if she was a teen. I've suffered from depression/anxiety all my life as well, and same as pollyweather, it really "hit the fan" at thirteen. Combination of puberty, feeling the loss of childhood joys - in exchange for the ever-increasing h*** of school and life as a misfit. I saw no hope in the future. It's a bad time that sometimes just needs to be "survived". Your daughter is very lucky to have a loving mother by her side. Sometimes I wished I'd just known that somebody cared. Sometimes all I wanted was to hear was that it would all be OK. That it would pass and things would be different someday.

Scattered
01-31-08, 09:54 PM
Hang in there -- I hope this is the beginning of something better for your daughter. You might research the possibility of Omega III fatty acids in fish oil -- there is very good research demonstrating their effectiveness in improving depression. Exercise is also an important option. Dr. Ratey in Spark, his new book on exercise and the brain, describes a head to head study between Zoloft (an SSRI anti depressant) and exercise. Those in the exercise only group did better than the Zoloft group or the Zoloft plus exercise group. I know it's hard to get a depressed person exercising, but it really can be a life saver.