View Full Version : the iPhone and ADD

Rudz
01-11-08, 07:09 PM
Anyone here own an iPhone? I have been considering getting one, having all of my email, contacts, calendars, etc. is just so tempting. It seems like it would be a big help, but the cost has been deterring me. Just curious.

by the way, this is my first post!

Rudz

meriellyn
01-11-08, 07:58 PM
I considered it and would love to have one but I'd hafta change carriers and can't do that right now. :(
I'm looking seriously at a PDA phone that will work on the Sprint network in the very near future though. As soon as I can afford it.
I think it'll be more useful than a seperate PDA because I'll actually carry it with me and I already use my (relatively crappy) phone to keep track of appointments and such.

riff.raff
01-12-08, 02:29 AM
MY BRO TOLD ME TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER CES2OO8 IN LAS VEGAS THIS WEEK. HE SAID THERE IS A NEWER SECOND VERSION OF THE IPHONE AND YOU CAN GET ON A WAITING LIST IF YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT.

I ALWAYS HAVE HAD AN XV6600. AWESOME AND BIG SCREEN. I GUESS THAT THERE ARE XV6700 AND XV6800'S NOW. :cool:

Guest1
01-12-08, 02:36 AM
ill get one next year

meriellyn
01-12-08, 05:48 AM
MY BRO TOLD ME TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER CES2OO8 IN LAS VEGAS THIS WEEK. HE SAID THERE IS A NEWER SECOND VERSION OF THE IPHONE AND YOU CAN GET ON A WAITING LIST IF YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT.

I ALWAYS HAVE HAD AN XV6600. AWESOME AND BIG SCREEN. I GUESS THAT THERE ARE XV6700 AND XV6800'S NOW. :cool:

Yeah, with Apple it's always best to hold out until after the next Keynote Address or similar events because that's when they launch new products and update the existing ones and you're liable to end up ****ed-off that you paid full price for what is suddenly an older model. Another good thing is that if the older model is good enough for you, you can usually get some pretty good deals on them after they launch the new ones. :)

Xero
01-27-08, 05:07 PM
Well your bro's predictions panned out nicely didn't they

Actually I believe a gen 2 device will come out later this year. 3G and maybe 16gb or something. You are right that apple always update their product line (oh no how dare they!) so you might as well get used to it. Also go to the buyers guide on macrumors.com which will tell you accurate info about apples release cycles and whether you should buy.

I have had an iPhone since October and im in Australia where they haven't been released yet! Had to hack it. Its gorgeous and useful. I'm actually lying in bed on my side right now typing this on it!!

As for its uses in organization,its just as useful for syncing your calendar/contacts/to dos as any other PDA out there. But the beauty is in simplicity and the fact I'm forced to carry it with me since its in my phone. The apps eg calendar are easy to find search and even enter info into while on the run. Which is essential for a device like this to get acceptance by the add folk I reckon.

Tara
01-28-08, 02:46 AM
I'll get one when they make them so I can download iTunes songs right from the phone and I don't need to sync it to my computer.

Xero
01-28-08, 03:35 AM
I'll get one when they make them so I can download iTunes songs right from the phone and I don't need to sync it to my computer.

Better warm the car up. You have been able to do that since they released v1.1.2 firmware in November 07.

Teacherin
01-30-08, 09:41 PM
I have one...
Rationalized spending the money to connect to all of my calendars etc... To be honest it's just another tool that I tried to use but doesn't help much... I'm not on medication for add though. My husband is ADHD he isn't on meds either. He can't put the thing down. Virtually free internet access everywhere you go. Even dinner out at restaurants. It comes in handy with hyper focusing I guess. And, if dedicated or able to organize (NOT me) I'm sure it could be a helpful tool. .
:)

adhdmama
07-08-08, 11:46 AM
It's worth every penny...BUT...

I love the notes feature and the calendar alerts have saved my *** because I've put things in RIGHT when I get the appointment, meeting, times, etc

BUT...

It is also a nightmare for me sometimes because my ADD will get me checking my email, then clicking links to websites, answering questions, creating posts on forums, texting, and not really knowing when enough is enough and DH has caught me more than once checking my email during dinner---out! LOL

If you can keep that in check, you're good. I've gotten better, but it is such an easy distraction. I have to FIGHT the urge to use it in traffic.

jpm2112
07-08-08, 11:57 AM
I'll let you know in a few days after I purchase a 3G version. It seems like it would be a helpful organizer, though.

mykill
07-08-08, 01:09 PM
i am agnostic on iphones, but i use a blackberry and cannot imagine living without it. Having constant internet access in my pocket lets me add appointments and reminders to my google calendar <i>immediately</i>. My google calendar is connected to my Thunderbird/Lightning, so anything i add when i am out is already on my computer when i get back to the office. I can also handle emails as they come in instead of getting overwhelmed at the end of the day. For me, it's indispensable.

Also, what adhdmama said about needing to control using it too much is spot-on. That's a real battle.

Chelsea17
07-08-08, 07:35 PM
I have one and it is SO worth it! You will love how you have everything in ONE. Calendar, camera, games, weather, phone,computer, ipod....ETC....it is wonderful & EASY to text on!

toreador
07-13-08, 08:26 PM
My father said he might help me get one since I've been obsessing over it (and he paid for my bro's 850euro tv..).
One of the bad things I've heard is that the GPS refreshes every 5-10seconds which doesn't help when you're driving.

LifeCatalyst
08-01-08, 06:30 AM
I got the 3G iPhone a few weeks ago & am SO pleased with it....... well worth waiting for. It does away with my PDA...so much better to have everything in one. It could lead to more distractions though....especially with Facebook applications etc LOL

LifeCatalyst
08-01-08, 06:38 AM
I also, forgot to say....other free applications i've downloaded are... To Do (to do lists), EasyTask (task lists), Voice Notes (for making quick audio notes) & EverNote.

Has anybody got any other recommendations?

o0starla0o
08-01-08, 10:32 AM
I had a Sidekick 3 ( i know I know it's not the same) and I ended up selling it because I was literally ADDICTED to it. I loved how the calendar, internet, email and everything were all right there, but I couldn't put it down. As soon as I was bored I was on that phone and I'm bored MOST of the time. You'd better believe it annoyed a lot of people.

meriellyn
08-01-08, 12:22 PM
I have a Samsung Instinct now and I love love love it. Keeps me organized without my clunky and unreliable PDA, is a great phone, lots of fun, and snazzy lookin'. :)

I love Apple and would have had an iPhone ages ago if not for the AT&T deal.

StephXoRRrr
10-10-08, 03:31 AM
You should better get an iPod Touch if you are easily distracted or else you will always end up on the web, checking your mails, chatting, facebooking and a lot of useless things of the like. :P
It's like an iPhone minus the phone.

StephXoRRrr
10-10-08, 03:33 AM
I also, forgot to say....other free applications i've downloaded are... To Do (to do lists), EasyTask (task lists), Voice Notes (for making quick audio notes) & EverNote.

Has anybody got any other recommendations?

Is there anything that will allow me to set like thousands alarms a day?

chowmix
10-10-08, 11:54 AM
As a lifelong early adopter, I love gadgets and even the new gadget smell that hits when you open the box or walk into an electronic store. I had a treo with web, schedule and email access for several years and even a gadget that made my palm pilot wireless. I was on the internet when web browsing was text only and ran several bulletin board systems before there WAS a www. This dates me, I am an old fart who was a geek before there was AOL or Compuserve.

I LOVE new gadgets. I get a rush buying and using them. I impulsively buy them. The announcement of the first iPhone has been like holding a pound of heroin an inch away from an addict who has all the money and means to buy it and whose last fix was 18 hours ago. I am technically technology addicted.

Given all that, a year ago, I traded in my treo for an ordinary cell phone because I simply couldn't stop checking email, stock prices, and news sites. I felt I HAD to reply to very email right away and needed access to EVERY tidbit of news in the world.

My doctor suggested unplugging from the 'matrix' (at least during part of the day) as we worked through my OCD/ADD personality 'attributes.' I think this single act and my medications have been key to getting my life back on track.

I am beside myself, aquiver and drooling, with the urge to get the slickest, fastest possible, most featured iPhone but know I'd probably use it ALL the time and end up locked away, or kill someone trying to surf the web in the fast lane.

Anyone want to start "Technology Addicts Anonymous?"

No, not yet! I'm itching for a new 17inch macbook pro with high resolution display when they come out with a 500gb drive.

I'm sinking fast.

"Hi, my name is Chowmix. It's been a year since my last gadget purchase. "

chowmix
10-10-08, 11:59 AM
Is there anything that will allow me to set like thousands alarms a day?

iwantsandy.com is a free service that has NO limits on the number of reminders it can provide.

You access it online or through email or text message. It sends reminders to your cell phone or email and the format is WAY faster then setting an event on a cell phone.

remind me to give the dog a flea pill monday @monthly
remind me to video chat with mom on her birthday on october 11 at noon @yearly
remind me in 45 minutes to leave this gosh dern meeting

etc.

StephXoRRrr
10-11-08, 09:38 PM
iwantsandy.com is a free service that has NO limits on the number of reminders it can provide.

You access it online or through email or text message. It sends reminders to your cell phone or email and the format is WAY faster then setting an event on a cell phone.

remind me to give the dog a flea pill monday @monthly
remind me to video chat with mom on her birthday on october 11 at noon @yearly
remind me in 45 minutes to leave this gosh dern meeting

etc.

Thank you, I will (try to) keep that in mind even if I don't plan to have a cell phone (actually I was looking for an iPod Touch rather than an iPhone)

DTownDave22
10-19-08, 09:17 PM
I don't see myself getting one anytime soon, but then again, I'm a student that is not currently working. I think I'd have a hard time putting it down after starting to "just check something out" on the internet. Therefore, I only really want something that will help keep me organized that is also relatively seamless to use but also useful.

chris1585
11-23-08, 08:53 PM
I have an iPhone 3G and have as of recent made a lot of use out of a couple of different apps that are "said" to aid with AD(H)D symptoms by use of binaural beats/tones.

The programs are:

mind Wave (costs $1.99 and mentions binaural tones usefulness for AD(H)D in the program description).

i-Doser (costs $4.99)

There are other binaural available in iTunes, however, I haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet.

The results that I have experienced have been a decrease in anxiety and racing thoughts, however, I have also had a med change since beginning the use of the apps so the results are really cannot be directly attributed to the binaural tone programs alone. I still think that they are deffinatly worth the few dollars spent to see if they can aid in the relief in AD(H)D symptoms for someone.

LisaJW
12-22-08, 11:54 PM
I use a Blackberry (didn't want to switch carriers and cost of iPhone). For me it is becomeing a lifesaver since I figured out that more paper for me seems to equal more clutter and more things being lost.

wsmac
01-05-09, 05:12 AM
Not sure if there's an ipod touch thread around here, so I'm posting in this one.

I have a Touch, not a phone, but other than the phone part, it's so much like the iphone anyway.
This is what I've been needing my whole life long!
I do so much better with my work schedule and appointments now that I have the Touch.

One of the reasons it works better for me than even a PDA, is that I have a huge library of music on it.
I use music throughout my day, even at work.
Having my music, my notes, my calendar as well as other functions/tools in one small package, is such a great thing for me.

If AT&T's service was better here, I would change over to an iPhone.
But until then, I'll keep my Touch and use a separate cell phone.

gnbeg
01-19-09, 10:19 PM
I have an iPhone 3g 16gb. Absolutely love it. I use Things for GTD task tracking.

One caveat: it will be a very easy source of distraction. Check email, surf web, check investments, latest sports scores, restaurants, weather, movies, tv shows, ...

It's very difficult to let it sit and focus on something else.

This reply done on my iPhone.

ilostmybeer
01-26-09, 09:28 PM
Not sure if there's an ipod touch thread around here, so I'm posting in this one.

I have a Touch, not a phone, but other than the phone part, it's so much like the iphone anyway.
This is what I've been needing my whole life long!
I do so much better with my work schedule and appointments now that I have the Touch.

One of the reasons it works better for me than even a PDA, is that I have a huge library of music on it.
I use music throughout my day, even at work.
Having my music, my notes, my calendar as well as other functions/tools in one small package, is such a great thing for me.

If AT&T's service was better here, I would change over to an iPhone.
But until then, I'll keep my Touch and use a separate cell phone.

I have a touch and its is gr8, plus you can now use www.nuevasync.com to sync the Calendar and contacts to Google Calendar. When I am near WiFi, i can check email, twitter, the web, watch tv(yes you can) ect. The syncing to Google is the best though.

apinkpony
01-27-09, 04:26 AM
I have a touch and its is gr8, plus you can now use www.nuevasync.com (http://www.nuevasync.com) to sync the Calendar and contacts to Google Calendar. When I am near WiFi, i can check email, twitter, the web, watch tv(yes you can) ect. The syncing to Google is the best though.

Wow. Thanks for letting me know about this one. Yay! Just what I was looking for.

Anyway, I have an iphone now. Had an ipod touch for a while, but there were a few extra features I wanted that required the phone part, plus my friends were always giving me about my "pda" aha. Well now I only have a phone so... suck it to ya friends :-D

I love it a lot. I use the toodledo app and sync it with toodledo, RTM would be great too i think...

What other apps do I use to increase my productivity... I have a little app that allows me to track my grades (GradeTracker), and I have one which allows me to track my gas (Car Care).

I have an app -- Binaural Beats -- which is free and I think it does a fairly good job. I haven't tried any of the pay apps yet though, I'm hesitant on spending money on apps (though I have for a few). But I'm a poor college kid...

Other than that I have a lot of music apps, some navigation apps, and a bunch of games (mainly word games/sudoku... I find non-time games help me to focus to some extent).

But since I got my ipod touch in October (just got the iphone last week) my productivity has increased greatly. I forget things a lot less... it's really nice. I remember in hs we were going to go the PDA route, we never did ... but this definitely fits that bill.

ilostmybeer
01-27-09, 08:53 AM
whats toodledo? i'll have to look it up later

KatInOuterSpace
01-27-09, 02:44 PM
As a lifelong early adopter, I love gadgets and even the new gadget smell that hits when you open the box or walk into an electronic store. I had a treo with web, schedule and email access for several years and even a gadget that made my palm pilot wireless. I was on the internet when web browsing was text only and ran several bulletin board systems before there WAS a www. This dates me, I am an old fart who was a geek before there was AOL or Compuserve.

I LOVE new gadgets. I get a rush buying and using them. I impulsively buy them. The announcement of the first iPhone has been like holding a pound of heroin an inch away from an addict who has all the money and means to buy it and whose last fix was 18 hours ago. I am technically technology addicted.

Given all that, a year ago, I traded in my treo for an ordinary cell phone because I simply couldn't stop checking email, stock prices, and news sites. I felt I HAD to reply to very email right away and needed access to EVERY tidbit of news in the world.

My doctor suggested unplugging from the 'matrix' (at least during part of the day) as we worked through my OCD/ADD personality 'attributes.' I think this single act and my medications have been key to getting my life back on track.

I am beside myself, aquiver and drooling, with the urge to get the slickest, fastest possible, most featured iPhone but know I'd probably use it ALL the time and end up locked away, or kill someone trying to surf the web in the fast lane.

Anyone want to start "Technology Addicts Anonymous?"

THIS IS ME!!!! Yes! I had a Windows smartphone before everyone else had smartphones, I was on the internet before the days of the "internet". My husband tells me 10 times a day to "unplug from the matrix" but I can't. I'm sorry, I can't. I get so nervous if I'm not checking my email or the news or whatever. There is never a question that comes up that will not be answered if I'm around. It drives my family and friends crazy but it is my medication - it calms me down and keeps me focused.

I do have the new iPhone and yeah I'm addicted to it too. If there's a new gadget, I want it.

I have about every "to do list" application for the iPhone but I forget to use them!!!!!

I have todo, Evernote, reQuall, I've tried I Want Sandy and Remember the Milk and Jott...I just don't know what to do!

I need something that syncs with my Outlook calendar but will constantly STAY on my desktop as wallpaper or something so I can SEE what I have coming up. Not just a reminder...but the calendar itself so it will tell me, "Okay, in relation to the day and the week, you have THIS coming up in so much time. It will be before THIS and after THAT."

But reminders I can't just click off! And reminders that come up on my phone...my Outlook ones do because my phone is synched with my calendar, but they're so random and annoying when I'm at home that I don't pay attention :(

Any suggestions??

apinkpony
01-27-09, 04:15 PM
whats toodledo? i'll have to look it up later

Toodledo is basically like Remember the Milk, it's an online to-do list. It's got some features different from remember the milk, some the same. I find it's features to be more useful to me though, although I am reevaluating this currently. I wish I could find something with ALL the features of both... plus some. ::sigh::

I am definitely a tech addict. I have to be connected. Hence the unlimited texting plan (which I don't use as much as I used to :( ) and the big fat data plan... basically why I felt the need to upgrade from ipod touch to iphone. Yeah... I shouldn't have. But I NEEDED to (oh god). I read somewhere that with ADHD technology/internet/video games are things we're very good at becoming addicted to. I fully believe this. All my adhd-ish friends are addicted to video games (see WoW/DoTA/etc) hardcore. But I digress.

Gotta go study in the library. With my laptop. And my iphone. Hmm.