View Full Version : Desoxyn-Might Work !?!?

Comatose
01-13-08, 08:35 PM
I have been on stratera, concerta, ritalin 20mg 2xday,focalin 10mg 2xday (which im currently on), adderall at 30mg 2xday, and dexadrine 10mg 3 x a day I also take xanax xr 1mg/day and just got off of methadone at a max dose of 80mg/day. Ive heard such great things about desoxyn and ho well it has helped those with the problems such as mine,; to include the aforementioned meds making me feel drowsy, and very lethargic, causing gastointestinal disturbincances, and not really helping my focus and attention at all. My docator knows of my previous opiate addiction and was wondering if this might be a hinderance in his prescribing me desoxyn.

My question being, next month at my appointment what whould impede my doc in prescribing me this med. I have never abused uppers and am fearing his knowlege of my past opiate abuse will make him think twice about prescribing me med that may very well help me tremendously.

flatlinez
01-13-08, 08:41 PM
In case your doctor hasn't heard of it, you should bring a copy of the Prescribing Information sheet. You may find it on the ovation pharma website. There is a link to it on here: http://www.ovationpharma.com/products.php?prodid=1

lars
01-13-08, 08:54 PM
Well, one thing that you might want to consider discussing with him is that Desoxyn is quite different from the methamphetamine that is found illegally on the streets.

Many Dr's and other health care professionals wrongly assume that Desoxyn is just a legally prescribed methamphetamine, which is not exactly the case. There is confusion around this due to the way the product insert is printed, however if you read the fine print on the insert you will see that it is a single isomer drug.

Desoxyn is actually just the single isomer dextromethamphetamine, and since it's a single isomer drug, it acts much differently for many people when compared to the racemic version of methamphetamine.

I have found the same to be true with the other single isomer drugs like dextroamphetamine, and dexmethylphenidate compared to the racemic drugs that preceded both of them: amphetamine, and methylphenidate respectively.

You might want to remind your Dr that just because a drugs shares some similarities with another drug, that sometimes the effects can be anything but similar. If he has had enough experience prescribing these medications, he will have most likely seen how stark the differences between some of these "similar" drugs can be from one patient to the next, or within the exact same patient after the patient has actually tried some of these "similar" drugs.

For example, Adderall was the only stimulant medication to ever cause me to feel pronounced sedation, however Dexedrine has never caused me to feel sedated at all. Why? I nor my Dr have any idea, but the reality is that it does that to me.

I found Desoxyn to be a wonderfully therapeutic drug, but for me it lacked the stimulating edge that I prefer from Dexedrine and/or Focalin. Granted, if I did not have to endure long lectures, and was no longer winding my through the halls of academia, I would prefer the relaxed nature that Desoxyn provided me. It was very nice and very relaxing for me, but the problem with that is that when I get too nice and relaxed in the midst of a long lecture it can potentially lead to some quite embarrassing moments like snoring out loud due to falling asleep in the middle of a boring lecture. :o

I could not fall asleep on Dexedrine, or Focalin, or Ritalin for that matter. With Desoxyn, I could only fall asleep if I was bored out of my mind and forced to sit in one spot for hours.

Comatose
04-10-08, 07:01 PM
So far I have found the desoxyn makes me quite sleeply???!

Now I am really confused. I thought this med might be the one. Perhaps I was not taking a high enough dose only 5mg 3x day. The problem is I could only afford half the script because my ins didnt pay, so I lost half of mf my whole script. Today my doc told me I need a prior authorization and that should work.

Im thinking of going back to dexedrine.

lars
04-11-08, 06:49 PM
So far I have found the desoxyn makes me quite sleeply???!

That was the main reason I stopped taking it. It did not make me sleepy as much as it just made me too relaxed to pay attention during long lectures.

Have you ever tried the drug Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)?

If not, I would suggest that you discuss it with your Dr to see if it might be something for you to try.

I was very surprised at how effective Focalin was for me, and I was also surprised at how underrated Focalin seems to be compared to all the other prescription stimulants. It's fairly expensive, but not as expensive as Desoxyn.

I found Dexedrine and Focalin to be quite close in their overall effectiveness. I look forward to gaining more experience with Focalin in the near future when some other generic versions become available.

As it stands right now, the Teva generic dexmethylphenidate is just too darned expensive for me to justify it over the generic dextroamphetamine I normally take.

Comatose
04-12-08, 09:23 AM
Yes I have tried every form of MPH and focalin did seem to be the most effective, but i began to need too high of doses of the methylphenidate drugs. If I get the prior authorization from my insurance I may give desoxyn another try at 10 mg 3x/day. If that doesnt work then I may try dexedrine again. I took it along time ago and dont remember how well it worked.

Im just so frustrated, if the dose of desoxyn I need is indeed 30mg/day, and my insurance wont pay then there is no way I pay $400 for a months supply.

Does anyone have any help or advice hey can give me on this?

Thanks

lars
04-12-08, 05:49 PM
It's way too expensive IMO. I was prescribed 60mg per day, and it was about $800 for a one month supply, which I found to be outragiously over priced.

It's a pretty good drug from my experience, but considering that I can obtain an equal amount of dextroamphetamine for about $65 a month, I just can't justify, nor can I afford an $800 a month prescription at this time. Maybe someday the company who was granted approval for the generic version will finally get around to it, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Even if that company (I can't remember who at this time) eventually does make a generic for Desoxyn, I tend to doubt that the price will be much of a savings. For example, the FDA approved a generic version of Focalin that is made by the pharmacuetical company Teva, and it is almost as expensive as the brand name Focalin.