View Full Version : Reading..

Iluvpoptarts
01-16-08, 08:52 AM
The only books i could actually read were "Harry Potter" series and even then i'd have about 10 or15 mins of being dizzy and lightheaded as if my brain strained itself right after reading..

boone1
01-20-08, 02:31 PM
I can't read fictional books at all, to me it's just words that don't mean anything. I like reading factual books better because they mean something.

Scattered
01-20-08, 06:01 PM
The only books i could actually read were "Harry Potter" series and even then i'd have about 10 or15 mins of being dizzy and lightheaded as if my brain strained itself right after reading..
Do you have dyslexia? Your reaction sounds a lot like my husbands reaction to reading and he has been diagnosed with dyslexia? THey were able to help improve things although it's still not perfect.

arkyle
01-20-08, 11:12 PM
I need the book hook me from the first pages. If a book does that I'll keep on and finish it really really fast.
If not, I'll keep reading if I HAVE but I'll just read, don't "store" the info because my head is somewhere else.

Marty
01-21-08, 03:52 AM
I need the book hook me from the first pages. If a book does that I'll keep on and finish it really really fast.
If not, I'll keep reading if I HAVE but I'll just read, don't "store" the info because my head is somewhere else.

I'm like that, I think it's because I have dyslexia and reading doesn't come out of itself, I really have to put some effort in doing it. But if the book hooks me then I can get through. Also I don't read Dutch books for fun because reading in English is just Easier to me.
But that has nothing to do with fictional / factional stuff.

Teedrum
01-21-08, 04:13 AM
i can't stand reading most of the time...i can't remeber what i just read or i keep reading the same parts over and over....most of the time if i do finish a book i don't know whats the main point is

Iluvpoptarts
01-21-08, 01:23 PM
Do you have dyslexia? Your reaction sounds a lot like my husbands reaction to reading and he has been diagnosed with dyslexia? THey were able to help improve things although it's still not perfect.

I don't think so.
My spelling is good. I actually tutored littler kids lol. No grammar problems.
Its more impulsiveness/lack of ability to read for more than a few mins.. and with harry potter i can't stop so i get a headache right after reading it (100 pages in a row sometimes)

crazycat1990
05-08-09, 11:10 PM
Not sure if this is an ADHD thing or not, but sometimes when I'm reading other things in my head distract me from the book and taking it all in.
In fact now I've just typed that it seems a very obvious and common ADHD symptom! Something to note down on my list I'm showing the psych next week!
But yeah, I'll be reading and nothing will go in, grr it's very frustrating!
Also, and this is some of amusing, the voice in my head that's reading if that makes sense...it turns into a voice with an accent! Haha...so I'll be reading to myself and suddenly an accent will be put the words that I'm reading but without me being able to help it! Very strange indeed!

Spaced_In
06-20-09, 11:35 PM
i have ADHD and i don't have any problems with reading fictional stories, but i cant read non fiction articles that well coz when i read them i'll be reading it but my brain wont be taking in what i'm reading

adults stop posting on the teen posts you are'nt kids i want to talk to people my age not adults.

Arei
06-27-09, 06:57 PM
It's hard to focus on things that aren't interesting, makes me miserable to read something boring. Otherwise no I don't have a problem reading, it's just hard to focus on annoying things :P

samtux
06-28-09, 03:56 PM
A book has to interest me in order to make me concentate on it for more than a few lines and i dont see the fun in reading fiction so i only tend to read factual books :)

Fuscienne
06-29-09, 03:06 PM
Same, I'm terrible at reading longer texts... I often have trouble understanding the main point, get a headache of it and in general it takes ages for me to finish a book. Things that really interest me are less of a problem. That's also why I rarely ever read - only if I'm supposed to write a report for school.