View Full Version : Looking for Adult ADD Specialist in southeast Michigan

01-17-08, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone.
I'm 28 and several years ago was given concerta by my doctor. Because I am uninsured and the cost of a monthly visit (in which the doctor did little more than fill out the prescription) plus the cost of the pills became prohibitive and I only took them for a few months. There was a noticeable difference in my ability to execute though.

I'd like to start taking the medication again, but the doctor I was seeing has since left the state and I need a new guy.

Any referrals? I'm specifically located in Troy, MI (oakland county).


06-03-08, 01:41 PM
yes- dr. joel young- rochester center for behavioral medicine. He was recommended to me by my psychologist and he has been great. I live in bham so he is about 30 mins away but it is worth it. He put me on focalin xr first and I think he chose my med really well for me. He knows alot about adhd especially in adults- he has written a book and has a couple movies out. He is a bit pricey- I think like 300 for the first consult, 100 for each session after that. But those numbers aren't certain- you should call him up. He is on livernois just south of walton so all you have to do is head north from troy.

06-08-08, 08:28 PM
A lot of doctors want documentation of diagnosis (e.g. school records; pediatric medical records; testing reports).


Too many people (a) show up 'self diagnosed' (and aren't), or (b) drug seekers come in looking for speed.

I mention this just in case you get rejected for an app't with various docs, and don't know why.

I know my own Adult ADD doc doesn't see people who have not had Testing and can produce Reports. (They don't even get wait listed.)

NB College disability offices sometimes have funds to help pay for testing. Sometimes insurance will cover it.

08-20-08, 12:39 AM
Any recommendations or ways to find specialists in the Downriver area?