View Full Version : Spark -- Wonderful new book by Dr. Ratey

Scattered
01-17-08, 06:32 PM
Hi!

Just popping in to recommend a wonderful new book by Dr. John
Ratey who co authored Driven to Distraction, Answers to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction with Dr. Edward Hallowell. His new book is called Spark. It is a well written, interesting, easy to read book about the current research about how exercise effects the brain. There are chapters on ADD, depression, anxiety, women and hormonal changes, and aging. It's really an enlightening and encouraging book and I strongly recommend it!:)

Teaser: Did you know that in a head to head study, exercise proved more effective than Zoloft for depression?

QueensU_girl
01-17-08, 10:40 PM
I'm on the TPL (Toronto Public Library) waiting list for this book. It seems like it has taken forever, since I first heard about it.

Yes, the concentration and antidepressant/antianxiety effects of hard cardio exercise have been shown time and time again to elevate mood, reduced stress, improve sleep and learning, lower blood sugar and bad blood fats, so much benefit.

I've heard it said "if exercise could be put in a pill, it would be the most common drug prescribed."

If I were a doctor, i'd have a gym off the side of my office...

Tara
01-18-08, 05:24 PM
I agree that this book is great! I heard Dr. Ratey speak about Exercise and the Brain back in November so I knew the book was going to worth reading. It was actually beyond my expectations.

There's more info about the book at www.johnratey.com (http://www.johnratey.com) too.

DesertDave
09-26-08, 11:41 AM
Thanks for posting that. I've reserved it at the library here. They have several copies and all are out.