View Full Version : Help!

MusikGeliebter
01-18-08, 01:19 AM
So, I pretty much hate myself! Does anybody else ever feel like that?

To be clear, I'm usually a really happy person, pretty content with life, and I usually enjoy the challenges of having adhd. Most of the time I really like myself, I like my life.

But, sometimes my adhd causes me to really f something up, and it's always something that I know would not happen if I was just Normal!

This doesn't happen often, because I think I'm pretty in control of my adhd, but it does happen, maybe every six months, I'll just completely act retarded, and it's times like these that I actually feel disgust towards myself.

And I just really don't know how to never feel this way.

I know this is to be expected, and it's true my life has normalized considerably since I started taking medicine, something I'm very very very thankful for. But obviously medicine is not a cure, and every once in a while I'll have these horrible adhd days, and I know it's to be expected, but how do you deal with the self-loathing?!

When I get like this, sometimes I can stay a little depressed and uninspired for months!

should I go see a therapist? is there any kind of book I can read? am I missing something?

I know this is something that happens to all of us, so what do you guys do to stay positive?

Kimalimah
01-23-08, 09:06 AM
I have always been a big believer in combining medication with some therapy. Especially if you have struggled with ADHD all your life and never had any therapy. I know that I'm not stupid, and can be really insightful when dealing with other peoples issues, but have needed the objective kick in the pants for myself that a therapist gives.

It also helps to see that sometimes our perceptions of how badly we've messed up are also not always accurate. Therapy can also teach us the triggers that may set off one of these "not so nice" episodes which can help us to avoid falling into them.

Just my 2 cents. Self awareness is a powerful tool.

Kim

Matt S.
01-23-08, 01:49 PM
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is shown to have some solid proof of success in cases of depression. I recommend looking into that personally. I have used CBT for other issues and have found it to be effective.

Guest1
01-23-08, 01:54 PM
i feel ya i feel the same way some times