View Full Version : So, what's it called?

Asylum
01-18-08, 11:44 PM
Hi all. I was reading on the scientific discusions page that ADD and ADHD were renamed in America (some time ago apparently) as AD/HD with three subtypes; inattentive, hyperactive and combo. Well, i didn't know this, feel like a bit of a duh duh head. I'm wondering what it is known as in Australia, and how you identify yourself to other people.

I sometimes get really frustrated with the amount of changes and the conflicting information and arguments surrounding AD/HD - this doesn't have much to do with my question but i just felt like saying it!

Imnapl
01-19-08, 12:03 AM
how you identify yourself to other people.I don't tell most people about my ADHD.

t-bird
01-19-08, 12:05 AM
I don't tell most people about my ADHD.

Ditto! But if I were ever to discuss it I just call it A.D.D.

Asylum
01-19-08, 12:38 AM
I don't tell anyone either. I don't know what its like in other countries, but i feel like if i were to say 'I have AD/HD' people will just roll thier eyes and start garbaging on about drug company conspiricy and children who spend all day in front of the telly and red cordial and its just enough to drive me crazy. And all the stuff that i hear when people are talking about it makes it totally clear they have no idea about the actual facts of it, just bogus Today Tonight stories.

Crazygirl79
01-21-08, 07:20 PM
I only tell people about my ADHD if it's absolutely necessary!

Selena

Asylum
01-28-08, 01:20 AM
So is it embarrasing to have AD/HD in Australia?

P_Stampy
01-28-08, 05:12 AM
No, but if everyone went around telling people what was wrong with them you'd probably find everyone has something wrong, ADD, depression, bipolar, genital warts, 3rd nipple, ingrown toe nails.....

Its just called ADD or ADHD, depending if you're innatentive (add), or hpyer (ADHD).

TeLL
01-28-08, 05:19 AM
Also people are generally very proactive in bashing things they don't fully understand, and since TV tells them ADD is fake and Ritalin is like cocaine, people don't actually understand it, but pretend that they do, and demean those that have it.

I don't keep it a secret, but I make sure the person I'm talking to isn't a ***** before I even think about opening that Pandora's box with them.

P_Stampy
01-28-08, 05:25 AM
Usually if I tell people they just ask what its like ??

Crazygirl79
01-31-08, 08:44 PM
I avoid telling too many people as I get sick and tired of the questions which are sometimes too personal.

I once had an idiot ask me how having ADHD affects my sex life!!!!!!!!!!! I was horrified and annoyed to say the least!

Selena

Ichpuchtli
02-02-08, 01:41 AM
Blame it all on ACA and Today Tonight. People say they don't listen to them but they do.

Fuse
02-05-08, 11:39 PM
I never tell authority figures (principles, deans, employers, etc) about my ADHD. That's a can of worms I don't want to open.

And there are some IRC channels and forums I'm on that have some really ****ing clueless people on them. One of them is a psychology major who thinks she's god's gift to psychology. She doesn't believe ADHD exists and constantly claims as much, and 2 years ago stopped talking to me because when she claimed she was asexual, I told her it was just a phase (she's now screwing some evangelical bible basher).

I've found that religious Americans are often very unsupportive of ADHD. Let me quote:

What other people claim is ADD/ADHD, I see merely as bad habits (and attitude in some cases) that are not under control, or attention-seekers. The fact that this is disguised as a disorder is not surprising in the least; I believe that parents would rather throw medication at their children than take responsibility for their lack of discipline and teach them self-control.

P_Stampy
02-18-08, 04:47 AM
that is weird...

I avoid telling too many people as I get sick and tired of the questions which are sometimes too personal.

I once had an idiot ask me how having ADHD affects my sex life!!!!!!!!!!! I was horrified and annoyed to say the least!

Selena

ninjanicole
02-21-08, 07:59 AM
i recently underwent a pretty full on psychological asessment and the results indicated ad/hd combined type + anxiety.

According to my psychologist the terms here are

ad/hd- predominately inattentive
- predominately hyperactive
- combined type

Also about telling people, the reason i try not to tell people is that, more often than not, they don't really care.. lol.. as bad as that sounds i think its true. They don't want to understand so they won't.

Fuse
02-28-08, 10:02 PM
Also about telling people, the reason i try not to tell people is that, more often than not, they don't really care.. lol.. as bad as that sounds i think its true. They don't want to understand so they won't.

Yeah, which is why I enjoy being on here. Often I don't want to ***** or rant, but I do want to discuss the biological basis, or interesting traits of ADHD, or medication questions. Who else can you do that with?