View Full Version : job survey of depressed individuals

randomthoughts
01-19-08, 07:00 PM
its quite obvious that depression can negatively affect how far we get in our professional and personal lives. im just curious how many people here, with depression, have managed to get an associates or bachelors, and are making big bucks in "high-powered" professions such as engineering for example.

Andrew
01-19-08, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure I'm making big bucks or if my profession would be considered "high-powered" (it's all relative after all), but I've made it through college with a bachelors and post-grad education with lots of issues, depression just being one of them.

livinginchaos
01-19-08, 09:25 PM
i'm not making "big bucks" but I managed to get through my bachelors and worked to get a certification in behavior analysis (i'm 1/2 way done w/ my masters). My field doesn't make "big bucks" but I get big intrinsic rewards . .

During all this time, I've (and continue to) battle depression. it's willpower and desire (and ADHD meds, and sometimes anti-depressant meds) that have helped me through.

randomthoughts
01-21-08, 06:13 PM
using the term big bucks was terrible... any occupation that requires drive, social networking, intelligence and hard work I suppose satisfies what I'm looking for. Looking for a dose of inspiration, plus a little bit of realism.

busyhermit
01-21-08, 08:37 PM
Interesting question. I've battled depression and social anxiety all of my life. I got a Bachelors Degree, majoring in Biology, minoring in Art, because those were the things I loved. But I never really did anything with the degree. It often seemed that I had a complete lack of ambition - certainly low self-confidence and self-esteem. I never could picture myself out there in the business world with the other "grown-ups" where one must dress and act professionally and "network", as you say. As a matter of fact, that all sounds pretty horrible-terrifying to me.

On the other hand, I took a gamble - made an investment - and started my own retail website three years ago. I work from home, on my own, and all of my communications are by phone or email - which makes them manageable for me. The site is doing well at this time and believe me - accomplishing that required a tremendous amount of drive, intelligence and hard work. Due to this I have succeeded where most fail. So I've found a niche where I can put my talents to work despite my "issues". I would say that this has actually helped my depression somewhat - in fact it is the brightest star in my life because it is something that I've succeeded at and am regularly complimented for.

Not sure if that answers your question, but on a recent psychological test, I scored in the 99th percentile for depression level, and I felt pretty "normal" that day - wasn't even suicidal! But, like I said, I HAVE been able to work hard and accomplish these things.