View Full Version : Methylin ER vs Concerta

okok
01-22-08, 03:21 AM
I've been recently diagnosed and prescribed concerta. I have a health plan so it's not too expensive, but still, a generic brand sounds smarter.... methylphenidate is methylphenidate, right? I'm also not actually sure if I like the extended-release kind, there are some pros and cons, but that's another story.

My main question is, does anyone have any experience with methylin compared to other methylphenidate pills? (Methylin ER vs concerta, or non-extended-release vs ritalin, etc). I assume it shouldn't make a difference, but at least in the extended-release type there may be some noticeable difference in release mechanism.

I'm going to ask my doctor about it tomorrow anyway, but I figured I'd try and get some subjective input here as well.

armystrong
02-02-08, 01:16 AM
I just switched from Concerta to Methlyn today........! I am curious too!

JR1973
02-08-08, 10:59 AM
Methylin ER, Metadate ER and Ritalin SR are probably the most notorious ADD meds ever created. Highly unreliable due to the way the pills are made. The extended release portion is controlled by mixing the 2nd dose in a wax-like structure. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so you don't end up with long enough coverage.

A true system for 6-8 hour coverage would be Ritalin LA(50/50 dose split) or Metadate CD (30/70 dose split). These are designed to equal 2 IR doses. Ritalin LA does a 50 50 split while Metadate CD gives a smaller first dose and heavier 2nd dose.

Concerta (22%/78% dose split) gives the equivalent of 3 IR doses 10-12 hours.

Taking IR doses gives faster peaks but also faster drop-off. Extended release meds minimize this and give a smoother benefit.

J

MissT
05-23-08, 12:11 PM
i've been taking methylin because its what the pharmacy gave me in place of ritalin as a generic... methylin generic and methylphenidate are supposed to have no difference but i bet with some people there is, i have only taken methylin ir so far so i have nothing to compare it to as far as instant release goes...

i just tried concerta because i wanted something that lasted longer but it had the opposite effect that ir methylphenidate has on me (it made me sleepy all day)

i would rather get generics too because i'm BROKE
going through all these trials w/ different medications is quite annoying, add on paying cash for my psych appointments every 2 weeks (until i get a good medication regimen going ) and then add on the 280 i just droped on 60 concertas that will end up in my trash can, live and learn i guess! :(

LVG
05-30-08, 06:35 PM
I feel you there. I make good money but do't have insurance so it's not too painful but it's still alot of money. I'm also on methylin as a generic.

I paid $140 for 30 focalin and only took 8 because it made me feel crappy.

I've been through 7 medications for my various mental problems and it adds up!

Oh like you said - AND the psych appointments!

i've been taking methylin because its what the pharmacy gave me in place of ritalin as a generic... methylin generic and methylphenidate are supposed to have no difference but i bet with some people there is, i have only taken methylin ir so far so i have nothing to compare it to as far as instant release goes...

i just tried concerta because i wanted something that lasted longer but it had the opposite effect that ir methylphenidate has on me (it made me sleepy all day)

i would rather get generics too because i'm BROKE
going through all these trials w/ different medications is quite annoying, add on paying cash for my psych appointments every 2 weeks (until i get a good medication regimen going ) and then add on the 280 i just droped on 60 concertas that will end up in my trash can, live and learn i guess! :(