View Full Version : Early Termination of Therapy

Matt S.
01-22-08, 01:21 PM
I phoned my therapist today when I was bored with the one hour 'study group' with the "fine folks" in my online Calculus III class and decided to terminate therapy.

I found it to be a waste of time because I felt like I was being programmed to conform to someone else's ideal, more specifically society's.

I mean I am a competent individual and I am perfectly content with who I am, it is just that my alleged "Personality Disorder" based mostly on juvenile behavior is apparently something that I need to 'treat'.

I know I don't have some of the same things that other people have but I also have some things that will be excellent in the business world once I finish school. Based on what I have read, I will be right in my element.

Well anyway, my therapist told me that it was a dangerous idea and that I was welcome to start therapy again if this 'epiphany' I had was temporary.

Has anyone else here terminated therapy early and did fine?

Leah
01-22-08, 03:09 PM
What kind of therapy was it? How long had you been doing it?

Lord, I hate study groups. Also, the business world.

Matt S.
01-22-08, 03:19 PM
It was a combination of Empathy Training and a specific, very situationally detailed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that identifies risk thinking to learn new beliefs that support remorse and personal accountability. It is treatment shown to be effective for some that are ready and willing to change. It is specific to those who are diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder and some cases of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I have been diagnosed as having both of them.

Leah
01-22-08, 03:31 PM
So it was one-on-one? Was it not helpful at all?

Do you disagree with the diagnoses?

Not to interrogate you or anything. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able to make myself go. But it does seem like the sort of thing you have to keep doing.. what else is there, really?

It can't be good that you feel like you're being programmed, and like it's a waste of time. Do you feel like you're being talked down to?

QueensU_girl
01-22-08, 10:45 PM
Feeling frustrated or having a worsening of symptoms in the middle of a therapeutic program is COMMON.

I hope you stick it out.

eric84
02-14-08, 03:36 PM
He has been going back because I give him rides sometimes.

~boots~
02-14-08, 03:46 PM
Good :) I remember matt thanking QUG (I think) for suggesting the empathy classes, and how he said they were helping..

I hope he's ok, and back to normal soon...We're supposed to be going out for Valentines day :)
He'd better not stand me up...even for you Eric !!!

Bryanh30
02-14-08, 05:41 PM
Yes, I had ended therapy twice before finding the right therapist. If you don't feel comfortable or 'right' in certain therapy, maybe consider a new therapist or group? Therapy has helped me tremendously, but it did not before finding the right 'match' for me.

sloppitty-sue
02-14-08, 07:03 PM
Wow Matt - I can totally appreciate where you're coming from when you say:

I found it to be a waste of time because I felt like I was being programmed to conform to someone else's ideal, more specifically society's.

I mean I am a competent individual and I am perfectly content with who I am, it is just that my alleged "Personality Disorder" based mostly on juvenile behavior is apparently something that I need to 'treat'.

I recently had the same feelings about my therapy. And:

Well anyway, my therapist told me that it was a dangerous idea and that I was welcome to start therapy again if this 'epiphany' I had was temporary.

Oh that's nice! Sorry, something SMELLS like manure here.

Hey - I don't want you to do anything harmful to yourself, and I'm not encouraging you to leave therapy, necessarily. However - I DO WANT TO let you know that your feelings and reactions about it are ones that I can truly understand, and I share them.

I wish I had advice, but I don't. I guess I don't understand how you can be dx with narcissistic and antisocial personality dx and be who you are. I say this because the people that I know who have had those disorders would never BELIEVE that THEY had anything wrong with them - or, more specifically - would NEVER PARTICIPATE IN THERAPY designed to treat such disorders. Not unless it was court ordered or something - and even then . . .

Sorry if I'm confusing and rambling. And I believe there's a compliment in there somewhere.

Ugh . . . I feel for ya.

Sue

eric84
02-14-08, 07:11 PM
Yeah Matt, I do have to say from how you describe yourself and what you used to be like I am shocked that you are getting help for yourself, even though you don't always accept help or follow through with it completely, I do give you props on the fact that you don't stop trying after you lose sight so to speak, I am still learning but I'm gonna figure you out... ha ha ha

~boots~
02-14-08, 08:49 PM
Yeah Matt, I do have to say from how you describe yourself and what you used to be like I am shocked that you are getting help for yourself, even though you don't always accept help or follow through with it completely, I do give you props on the fact that you don't stop trying after you lose sight so to speak, I am still learning but I'm gonna figure you out... ha ha ha
I wouldn't push it tho Eric...people trying to figure us out, usually get swept away...
That may never happen..but it's highly likely..just relax, and let Matt have some time to get used to this change:p

omg..who said that???

Matt S.
02-15-08, 01:05 AM
Eric has determination, I have got to give him credit. Like Tracy said, it is possible, don't get your hopes up though...

As far as therapy goes I decided that all of the changes and hard earned honest effort I had put into changing myself wasn't worth throwing away over a little rut...

So I definitely had the epiphany to resume therapy, I guess I decided I loved myself too much to throw it all away.

~boots~
02-15-08, 01:12 AM
Eric has determination, I have got to give him credit. Like Tracy said, it is possible, don't get your hopes up though...

As far as therapy goes I decided that all of the changes and hard earned honest effort I had put into changing myself wasn't worth throwing away over a little rut...

So I definitely had the epiphany to resume therapy, I guess I decided I loved myself too much to throw it all away.that's my boy :p
I'm glad...

Matt S.
02-15-08, 01:35 AM
Thanks Tracy :D:D:D

kilted_scotsman
02-17-08, 11:14 AM
Lets get one thng out of the way....

If you look at those who are "successful" in western eyes you will find a significant number showing classic signs of serious personality disorders. Most of these people are not fulfilled or happy, and cause much pain and suffering to those around them and who feel the effects of their actions across the world.

Role models.....no way. Don't even go there, and as Sue says, those most affected would never believe they need therapy.....therapy is for failures and they're soooooo successful.

The lunatics are truly in charge of this spherical asylum.

Moving on

Therapy.....yup...bit of a roller coaster

Two reasons for being there

1) You feel some form of mental pain/depression/anxiety/stress that is hurting you

2) You feel you are inflicting pain on others and wish to stop so doing....so your concious of pain...which causes you some form of distress. See (1) above.

Reasons for the distress are the thought processes, feelings and life goals you developed/learned in your past environments(s) and their relevance/suitability for the environment you are currently in and goals you currently have.

Therapy should be looking at your thought processes and goal setting to make them suitable for ANY environment you may encounter.

So therapy should give you the tools to

1) Analyse your environment

2) Assess and accept what can and can't be changed in your environment

3) Set appropriate goals

4) Use appropriate thought patterns to initate behaviours that acheive those goals

5) Monitor and reassess all of the above and react appropriately in good time.

If you are not questioning what's happening to you and your environment and asking the question "Why does x happen" then therapy's going to be a long haul. The therapist can only show you things and present possibilities.....you have to validate them and use that information appropriately.

The big problem is ........

When you start asking questions and turning over stones.....you start to realise that alot of what "normal/respectable/successful" humans do is completely nuts....it is not logical or "right thinking"... hence your dilemma above. So part of the questioning you will want to do is "Why do they do that...it's soooo dumb" and you will start considering and learning from the actions of others......which is a pleasant change from the usual therapy navel gazing.

So.....you analyse your environment...maybe it's toxic and currently unchangeable...do you move now or initiate thoughts leading to behaviours that allow you to survive until either something changes/can be changed or you can move.

Maybe there are things you can change.....but you need others to help you do it/not stop you from doing it....so you need to be able to influence others..... that's not accepting their mindset or values....it's understanding how to behave to make them listen and act/remain passive.

Now you will see you are learning to be able to change your environment to something more acceptable to you....and if you are "right thinking" and have considered both yourself and others the new environment should be a little better for everybody.

Once that ball starts rolling....things sorta stick to it and it gets bigger in a comfy kinda way.

kilt

Matt S.
02-17-08, 12:15 PM
Well the therapy I am doing specifically targets a developing emotion, it is developing slowly and although I am not the most patient with therapy it is helping.

One of my PD diagnoses was actually ruled out recently because it was observed during a manic episode and that makes it 'unofficial'.