View Full Version : cant study !

supersomeone
01-26-08, 05:31 PM
I have midterms for a week starting Monday. I am totally freaking out ! The worst part of this is that I am freaking out because I haven't studied but for some reasson it is taking so much energy and effort to study. Does anyone else have this problem ???

subliminal93
01-26-08, 09:06 PM
im in 9th and i have the same problems i am failling so far but im still trying. if you have any good ideas type me back.:)

ah09087
01-26-08, 10:01 PM
Same here! I should be studying right now, in fact. I'm a junior.

MaNaeSWolf
02-01-08, 08:35 AM
Arg!! I hate studying. Im doing 4th year Architecture this year. Its a practical course so I do ok untill the studying stuff comes allong. But I have so far only extended my course by a year cause of my studying problems. .
Here are some tried and tested methods that I use.
1) - Group study: It takes MUCH longer. and you need friends with patients and still willing to study and not talk nonesence all day. But it makes studying more dynamic. . . we need dynamic!
2) - Break your study material into topics and concepts. We work well with concepts and miss the details (unless they cool details). When you break your work up it is easier to UNDERSTAND (cause we thinkers and not parrots) and makes the work more interesting and learnable. This also takes time.
3) - find out what area/space makes you the most comfortable without distractiong you too much. I study best when there are lots of distractions (weird yes) such as music n things to fiddle with, it keeps me from looking for distractions.
4) - Write/Draw/Sketch out your work. make studying a interactive thing, draw that osmosis or chemical reaction or hisorical figure or what ever will make you remember some work. . . keeping it interactive.
5) - Yeah, this part sux but is true to me. . . start earlier than the rest of the "others". It takes me a lot longer to learn than most and im sure your not much different.

Good luck!

Iluvpoptarts
02-01-08, 05:58 PM
I have midterms for a week starting Monday. I am totally freaking out ! The worst part of this is that I am freaking out because I haven't studied but for some reasson it is taking so much energy and effort to study. Does anyone else have this problem ???

Im pretty sure 100% of members here have that problem. cheer up

ninjanicole
02-13-08, 08:07 AM
my solution is to approach it backwards. I can't take anything in if i am just reading notes, i have to have a goal, i have to feel like i am working it out for myself.
I get sample questions or the course outline or whatever and then look for the answers instead of reading the textbook then trying to answer questions.

I am doing a science course though, and everyone learns differently.

However, that said, i also tutor maths for highschool students and i have found that add/adhd or not the best way to learn maths, and get good at it, is repitition. Unfourtunately you just have to do lots of questions, lots of examples.

Good luck!

Imnapl
02-13-08, 10:25 AM
I get sample questions or the course outline or whatever and then look for the answers instead of reading the textbook then trying to answer questions.Me too. I didn't learn how to study smarter, not longer, until I was an adult. I highly recommend carrying flashcards wherever you go. It's amazing what you can learn while waiting for things. I know a nurse who learned all of her medical terms by studying flashcards while waiting for buses.

Mary
02-13-08, 01:15 PM
Has anyone ever tried reading the questions and answers outloud and recording it...so you can play it back? ...... sometimes just the reading outloud will get the answers into your head quicker than quietly reading to yourself. Believe me.. I've done it.

ninjanicole
02-14-08, 06:39 AM
yes, reading aloud! and flashcards are good too (i find that the writing of the flashcards makes me learn the stuff more than the actual reading of them)

I think reading aloud works because when you read to yourself you can accidentally concentrate on reading the whole page or paragraph or chapter and not focus on what is actually writen. Well thats what i do. lol

mireeee
02-20-08, 09:43 PM
I feel the EXACT same way

So I sit here with a four page paper due tomorrow. I've been trying to make progress all day long, and still, nothing. I wish I could concentrate. I tried everything. I went to different rooms to write it. I tried a freewrite. I even took an extra ritalin (my doc said it was ok, because I took my first one early on). Still, nothing. I try, and it seems impossible. I stare at my open textbook on my desk, and I may as well just stare at teh wall. The words are as meaningful right now as the white paint. It is as though they get lost between my eyes and my mind, that is if they even get that far.

I always wanted to go to college. And here I am at UC Riverside. I guess I never thought I would get this far, so I didn't really plan ahead or think of what I would do in these situations.

And what I think the worst part is that people just dont get it. "Just try a ilttle bit harder," they'll say. And when I attempt to explain myself they still don't get it. "But why can't you just try to sit down and concentrate, like really focus on concentrating, you know?" NO! I dont' know. But I don't say that. I think to myself, "why don't you just go fly, I mean you have no wings, but maybe if you try hard enough and focus on trying to fly, you'll just be able to do it." Just as we don't have wings, I don't have whatever it is I need to "just focus." And I keep trying to explain it, and I don't expect them to understand, but it stil hurts when people treat me as lazy or as though I am making up excuses.

Sometimes my ADHD is worse then it is at other times, and this is one of those times.

(sorry had to get that out)

Imnapl
02-20-08, 09:50 PM
mireee, what's the paper on?

mireeee
02-20-08, 09:52 PM
it's a womens studies paper on alternatives to prison. i am not a very detailed writer, i have trouble with the length. I think I may almost be scared of the paper in a way, especially because my TA takes off 25% if it is even half a page less than what she wants.

Imnapl
02-20-08, 09:56 PM
I wish! I write like I talk and it's keeping it short that's difficult for me. Are you having trouble with an outline?

mireeee
02-20-08, 09:58 PM
kinda, im having one of those i really cant concentrate days. I also don't see what prison has to do with the class. i hate the prof. urgh

Imnapl
02-20-08, 10:19 PM
it's a womens studies paper on alternatives to prisonAs in how prisons don't really fix things? As in preventative programs?

mireeee
02-20-08, 10:27 PM
somewhat. we are also supposed to talk about "social constructs" and analyze why prisons don't work and how they are "brutal", and prisoners arent treated well and i think my professor needs some of my meds or something...crazy lady

Imnapl
02-20-08, 10:36 PM
Do you disagree with the prof's theories in her lectures?

Imnapl
02-20-08, 10:44 PM
The reason I ask is that could be the slant of your paper. It's more interesting to write about something you disagree with, with lots of supportive info to cover your butt.

theta
02-25-08, 07:57 PM
Has anyone ever tried reading the questions and answers outloud and recording it...so you can play it back? ...... sometimes just the reading outloud will get the answers into your head quicker than quietly reading to yourself. Believe me.. I've done it.

That reminded me of this device I saw mentioned on the news.

http://www.whisperphones.com/

The more ways you tie things together in your brain the easier it is to remember. I found note taking aids memory regardless if you ever re-read them.

Reading boring stuff at bedtime is a good sleep aid and you tend to remember the stuff you study right before sleeping better.