View Full Version : Spelling?

Flyfisher
03-28-03, 11:15 PM
Sometimes, I find myself struggling to spell something very simple or something I have spelled thousands of times before. Anyone else experience this? I even won spelling B's as a kid and bombed on a different day.

Curious if this is possibly add related, or common for everyone. I am starting to realize a lot of "common" things do not happen to the general population.

Joanrdtobe
03-28-03, 11:26 PM
Flyfisher: Me too...I was a great speller all through grammar school...that was one thing I COULD do....now occasionally I do have to ask myself, HMMMM...how DO you spell that word? Like I have to remind myself of that "i" before "e" except after "c" rule...ALL the time...!! I think it is ADD related...or at least LD related...this stuff seems to never go away...

Joan

phischeyeat
03-29-03, 08:00 AM
It is strange, I find myself spelling a word out on scratch paper so I can visualize the correct spelling and I know I have spelled it a thousand times before. I wonder if non-ADD or LD folks also run into this?

Joanrdtobe
03-29-03, 10:45 AM
Phil -- YES...I do that too..and know others that do that...and others will sometimes ask ME how to spell a word. Complete strangers?? (like in my school libarary when I'm there) Hmmmmm What makes them think I can spell? (do I wear a sign on my head that says, "good speller" lol)...and then I write it down MYSELF just to make sure....YES seeing it on paper....Have you seen on-line dictionaries? They can come in handy...

Joan

Spirit
04-09-03, 09:35 PM
I struggle with spelling everyday. I can write a word 100 times and then 15 minutes later can't remember how to spell it. And then other days I do just fine.

LOL..in a few of my posts here I have grumbled about it not having a dictionary. And my Trusted Random House Dictionary is getting a good work out. I need to buy a new one as this one is about worn out. I use it so often I even placed little tabs at the start of each alpha section.

Thank goodness for spell check in the word processors or I would of been screwed years ago in the clerical field. :D

Mary
04-20-03, 11:04 PM
The older I get I find I am having troubles spelling things I used to spell correctly all the time.... I am considering writing all my posts in a window so spell check can correct what I type then copy and paste the post.

Spirit
04-21-03, 03:27 PM
LOL Mary, :D

I all ready do that ..that and wear out my dictionary!! LMBO

:( I wish I could blame mine on age..LMBO..hmm..wonder what I can blame it on..lmbo :D

Huggz! :)

Andrew
04-26-03, 05:46 PM
Actually...I am much MUCH better with spelling than I am with math. To bad they dont have a spell check for math...lol

misclee
04-27-03, 11:06 AM
I don't have any trouble with spelling and math, but I have a really hard time staying focused when I read.

Spirit
04-27-03, 05:59 PM
I love to read...I read everynight before I go to bed..One would think that I would be a better speller in doing so. hmmmm

irish_lady4
04-28-03, 07:25 PM
im a terrible speller, i tend to spell as it sounds lol my daughter is the same and so is my son and we are all add and adhd!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

MAY THE ROAD ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOU!!!!!!!

unreal33
05-16-03, 12:51 PM
I've always been exceptional at spelling, actually. I won our state spelling bee when I was in 6th grade, and have a keen eye for editing... I was also an English major in college. For some reason, when I think of a word, it's like someone wrote it on a neon sign in my brain... I actually visualize it without consciously thinking of it. I've taken tests on other aptitudes, too... and score consistently highly on spatial relations (like rotating a complex object in your mind's eye), and on logic, as well as written communication. Slightly weaker in math (in high school, I couldn't get as far as calculus, but I managed to go through A.P. physics... mainly because I think our teacher was ADD and let us use the textbook for tests!). Still, though, I'd say I'm above average on math/algebraic skills, too. (I managed to qualify for MENSA, and math as well as other skill sets are big parts of the exams.)

joanrdtobe
05-16-03, 03:47 PM
So Unreal, what's the toughest word you ever had to spell?? And I'll bet you're a great scrabble player.....:)

unreal33
05-16-03, 04:36 PM
Well, the word I lost on in the regionals for my state spelling bee was "Sacred". Believe it or not. I just had not been brought up in a religious household, and I wasn't familiar with the word. :mad:

The word I used to struggle with a lot was Massachusetts. Then I went to work for a company based there. :)

joanrdtobe
05-16-03, 04:40 PM
no kidding, my original home state....:) what town in Massachusetts??? and could you spell the town?:)

unreal33
05-16-03, 04:42 PM
Yep.... Boston :)

joanrdtobe
05-16-03, 07:28 PM
nope, that's not how you spell Boston. It's spelled Baahston....And Harvard is spelled Haavaad.:) Incidentally, for a long time I could not spell Connecticut....until I realized that the word "connect" was how the state started....:) so are you a Tigers fan?? if so enjoy the sports conversations....

Toad
05-21-03, 08:19 PM
I was always a good speller, Never studied for one in scool as a kid, always had 1 or 2 rong or excellent. I visualize words, it helps to be able to spell it out fizzikally instead of reciting it by mowth.:D

Dannydorm
05-21-03, 08:29 PM
yer a riott what. grate sens ov humer. hay thiz iz funn. i thinkk u mey bee ontoo sumthing hear. a threaad wear u misspellle everry woord. wherr elsee wouldd u findd thiss?

u spelll boston baahston. u form canada? u spell that canndaddda, rite? hav a grate nite what.

Toad
05-21-03, 08:52 PM
Yas um form Kanita:cool:

unreal33
05-21-03, 10:14 PM
Canada?

I hear the real spelling for that is:

C, eh. N, eh. D, eh.

:D

fasttalkingmom
05-22-03, 07:11 PM
I'm a bad speller...I've found with using spell checker I spell more words right than I thought....lol... I reverse my letters when typing. I'm thinking my mind is working faster than my fingers...lol.. :D

Energizer_Bunny
09-02-03, 09:24 PM
The other night I got distracted and was not doing homework and got all involved in this website. Well, in the process I found something we have all been looking for and I tried it out and it works. It is a spell check that you can use for posting on message boards or any other way you want to use it.

The site is

http://www.iespell.com/

And like I said, I checked it out and it works and it stays in your tools section on IE and best of all it is Free.

Happy Spell Checking.

casper
01-02-05, 02:21 PM
I have never been able to spell. Without computers I would prob still be in HS! I work in the restraunt industry, but I can't spell restraunt the correct way to save my life! I use alot of abreviations!!!

hypergeek2
09-28-05, 11:50 AM
i ws never good at this, and typign it out only makes it worse!

dormammau2008
04-16-06, 11:27 PM
READING AN WRITEING AN SPELLING MATHS BLANCE AN MORE THINGS THAN I CARE TO SAY LOL BUT YES NORMS AN LD HAVE THIS PORBLEM ALOT ...I KNOWS I DO DORM

*~ žEEK ~*
04-28-06, 12:07 PM
I love to read...I read everynight before I go to bed..One would think that I would be a better speller in doing so. hmmmm
Hey Spirit!!!!!!!
Greetings from Grandview MO !!! :)

Yeehaw!
You're the first MO person I've found on the ADD Forums!
I would tell you that "It's nice to meet you" but, it actually would probably be more accurate to say, "It's nice to read you"!!

I'm sorry, I've been up for too long, which makes my humor a little on the dry side, or so I've been told!
However, I always tell them, whenever they tell me that I have dry humor that, "Hey, having dry humor, is better than being all wet!!" LOL :D

Anyway, it's Friday and I work the nite shift this weekend, so I am outta here for now!

Take care, and "It was a pleasure to read you too!" LOL :D

Peace,
*~ žEEK ~*

dormammau2008
04-28-06, 02:39 PM
whats a mo????? dorm????

william tell
04-28-06, 06:54 PM
I suck at spelling also and have gotten worse over the years
Here is a site I use often; Andrew they have math also
they have a lot of help , more than I realized !!! :p

http://www.spellcheck.net/

Nova
04-28-06, 07:32 PM
Spellcheck.net is a great site.

Thanks !

dormammau2008
04-28-06, 07:46 PM
thanksss o111111 for site dorm

*~ žEEK ~*
04-29-06, 09:46 AM
whats a mo????? dorm????
MO = Missouri

casper
04-29-06, 11:09 PM
I got an email that says if the first and last letter of a work are correct u can almost always figure out what hte word is. It was sooo true.

dormammau2008
04-30-06, 05:08 PM
yeh trus casper an i see you used that in your pm lol shame others on the net carnt work that out number ofve times there dont know what iam saying lol dorm

*~ žEEK ~*
05-10-06, 07:16 AM
Spellcheck.net is a great site.
Thanks !Nice "Spellchecking" website Nova!!
Thanks! :)

The only single and small issue I had using the website Nova posted, was when I spelled the word incorrectly, it coughed up so dang many alternatives, that it sort of confused my dyslexic brain a little bit! LOL :D
However, all in all, it still worked fine!

Oh, by the way, just a little addional F.Y.I..
I found you can get to their website by typing either, www, dot, spellcheck, dot, net, like this --> www.spellcheck.net (http://www.spellcheck.net/) .

Or, you can just type "spellcheck.net" into your browser's address box, and then hit "enter", and your browser should automatically enter the address like this for you --> http://spellcheck.net (http://spellcheck.net/) (This method will also take you to their website!)

I thought the last method (Simply typing spellcheck.net into your browser's address box) made getting to their website particularly handy!
Anyway, thanks again for the website Nova!! :)

Peace,*~ žEEK ~*

Lunacie
05-10-06, 09:38 AM
Ah, it must be spring, another old thread has been resurrected. :p

Like so many here, I'm generally a great speller and always had/have others asking me how to spell something. But every so often I'll write a word (or type it) and think to myself "That doesn't look right!" So I have to look it up and make sure I've got it right (and I do). So maybe it's got something to do with the way I'm seeing the word, like that thread a day or two ago about seeing 'rivers' on a printed page or having it be blurry.

My PC came with 'word pad' which has a spell check built in. It also came with a calculator. I made both of those into short-cuts on the main screen so I can easily type something out there while clicking back to check the message I'm responding to. And so that I can check out the math if I read something that gets me to wondering. This week it was an article on MSN about the cost of raising a baby. It said that baby wipes can cost $100 a month if you use 2 at each diaper change and the baby goes through 10 diapers a day. The math didn't seem right to me, so I clicked over to the calculator and OMGs, you'd have to be paying like $8 for a small package of 80 wipes to spend that much on them in a week. Anyway, if I don't go ahead and crunch the numbers, the whole thing just keeps niggling away at my brain so I'm better off to use the calculator and figure it out.

*~ žEEK ~*
05-10-06, 11:02 AM
This week it was an article on MSN about the cost of raising a baby. It said that baby wipes can cost $100 a month if you use 2 at each diaper change and the baby goes through 10 diapers a day. The math didn't seem right to me, so I clicked over to the calculator and OMGs, you'd have to be paying like $8 for a small package of 80 wipes to spend that much on them in a week.Hello Lunacie! :)
$100 a month?? That's pure Lunacie!! LOL
Jeez, I'd be using toilet paper, paper towels, Taco Bell napkins, or even newspapers and Windex glass cleaner before I'd pay that much! LOL :D

Now I remember why I haven't had any children yet!! The little squirts haven't been able to fit into my budget! :)
Or was it that I've always had such a chronically low budget??? Hmmm...
Acutally, I think they just slipped my attention for 42 years! LOL :D

Anyway, I gotta run!! I'm off to buy baby wipes in bulk, so I can then sale them on ebay for $7 a small package of 80 wipes! LMAO :D
What a deal Lunacie! You want in??? hehe

Peace,*~ žEEK ~*

Lunacie
05-10-06, 11:25 AM
Not "Lunacie", I call it "idiocy". It's in the same category as people who have to buy the name brands. I used wash cloths when my daughter was small, and just put them into the washtub with her diapers. And then I recycled the diapers by making them into washable reusable menstrual pads.

I use the store brand of baby wipes for my own personal sanitation, but they are thick and large and I can tear them in half so they go twice as far. And they only cost about $5 for a package of 240, which easily lasts me a month. I keep some in a baggie in my purse for wiping off my granddaughter's face when she goes out to eat with me, and for wiping off my fingers after eating greasy fried chicken with my fingers. I also use them to "dust" the dashboard in my car since my purse is often right there on the car seat beside me.

Ooops, sorry about hijacking the thread. :o We can return to the topic now.

*~ žEEK ~*
05-10-06, 12:27 PM
And then I recycled the diapers by making them into washable reusable menstrual pads. I use the store brand of baby wipes for my own personal sanitation, but they are thick and large and I can tear them in half so they go twice as far.Lunacie,
Your cracking me up!!
Have you ever had problems at work talking about inappropriate things?? LMAO :D JK...

And then I recycled the diapers by making them into washable reusable menstrual pads. I keep some in a baggie in my purse for wiping off my granddaughter's face when she goes out to eat with me, and for wiping off my fingers after eating greasy fried chicken with my fingers.I'll just assume that you wash them all first! LMAO ;) :D

I finally figured out why your wonderful honesty is so appealing to me!
It must be because I'm formerly a native of Kansas!
Only a fellow Kansan could be so beautifully down-home and honest! :)

Just as an F.Y.I.....
I was born in Clay Center, KS.
Lived in Seneca, KS for 5 years.
Then moved to Atchison, KS where I lived until I graduated from HS.
Went to college in Emporia, KS for two years.
Then went to University of Kansas (KU) Medical Center for Radiology.
Since then I have lived in Kansas City, KS, Overland Park, KS, and Lenexa, KS until 2000, when I finally moved to Grandview, Missouri where I currently live!
So, that MUST be the reason why I find you so absolutely hilarious and your honesty so delightfully charming!! :)

Now I'll make my apologies for getting off the topic as well! hehe :)

Peace,*~ žEEK ~*

dormammau2008
05-10-06, 12:52 PM
thanks seek i look that email add then if it has sooo many diff ones thats good for me lol thanks again dorm

Lunacie
05-10-06, 10:59 PM
No no no no no, Seek, I don't use recycled diapers/menstrual pads to wash my face! :eek: I use baby wipes for that. I always take some to the renaissance festival to use after going to the Port-a-Potti.

I haven't lived in any of the places you listed, but my brother and his wife lived in Seneca and Emporia many years ago. I grew up in Greensburg, then lived in Hutchinson and Abbyville, and was spending half the week in Hoisington caring for my granddaughter the year the tornado hit. I was actually in Abbyville watching the live reports on television while my daughter and her family were taking shelter in their basement! Very scary evening for all of us. Then they moved to Wichita and I moved with them. Now she and I and the kids live in a small town east of Wichita.

I don't think I've ever talked about anything "inappropriate", but my timing hasn't always been the greatest. :p

Andi
05-11-06, 07:33 PM
Just a little reminder to please keep on topic :)

Guest1
06-05-07, 11:38 AM
i was a good speller in school now i cant spell that good why is that?

The Audience
03-13-10, 02:34 AM
Currently I'd say I have adequate spelling. But I frequently repeat the same spelling errors, and, sometimes I'll spell a familiar word and second guess myself, and have to check the spelling of it.

For example, in words with duplicate letters like 'professional' I'll duplicate the 'f' and drop one of the 's'. I frequently mix i's and e's, in believe etc.

However, if I see the word 'veiw', I can spot the error. It's just that when I'm writing / typing it, it has NEVER become 'automatic' so I can get confused and write the wrong version. Yet other times, i'll spell correctly, so it's inconsistent.

Nova
05-03-10, 12:03 AM
Do commas, count, in spelling?
Or, is that, part, of grammer?
I've been, really, ticked off, for having to use, commas, at work.
It, makes things, much easier, to read, I know, but, the problem, is, that I, can't stop, using them, now.
As you, can tell.

Any ideas, how, to quit, using, a meta-utilized, "anything" when, you, are finally free, from work constraints?

Nova