View Full Version : How can you tell you're depressed?

Stabby
01-27-08, 07:42 PM
I'm having some trouble discerning depression from frustration. I have failed at many things in life and I feel pretty sad a lot of times, but oftentimes I can be in a good mood. When I'm with one of the few friends I have I make a lot of jokes and I laugh a lot. No one I'm with would ever assume I'm depressed.

I'm in for diagnosis for ADD since the symptoms describe me very well, but my psychologist has mentioned I could be depressed. I don't believe that's the case. I must say I'm extremely frustrated though which resembles depression but I really wouldn't call it that. Can't be bipolar either since I don't meet most of the criteria.

busyhermit
01-29-08, 08:42 PM
Hi Stabby,

Sounds like you've already done some reading about different conditions (you can find a quick run down of depression symptoms in one of the sticky posts above), but you still aren't sure. I can only speak of my own experience with depression - don't know if it will give you any insight.

I have had depression for most of my life. I also suffer from anxiety, and tests indicate ADHD as well. Because of this combination, my depression is not typical of what most people would think. I have so much anxiety and agitation, that I am unable to just curl up under the covers and hide from the world, or vegetate in front of the TV - as much as I would love to do that some times. In my twenties, I found relief in alcohol - Ahhh, joyous relief. Of course that was short-lived, as I quickly became an alcoholic and over just a few years, my life became 100x worse than before - to the very verge of suicide.

I got sober a long time ago, although life is much better, of course the original depression and anxiety remain. In a way I suppose I am used to them. I have lived with it so long that I really don't know what it would feel like to be different. I don't really notice being "sad" per-se, and I don't cry. I'll laugh occasionally. Much of it is programmed response (you know, someone says something funny, you're supposed to chuckle). I don't think anyone would refer to me as a cheerful person, but then again, I can put on a good show when necessary. 0Here are the negative symptoms that I do experience daily:

-irritability
-instability (I can be fine one moment, then some small thing will ruin my day)
-lack of motivation
-attitude of "what's the point"
-very low self-esteem
-much self-criticism
-lots of guilty feelings
-very little hope for change, helpless feeling
-I don't go out or do things that might be fun, it's just not worth the effort.
-I don't set goals or consider the future (because I just don't even want to think about that)
-I must have my mind occupied with something at all times, usually working in a work-a-holic manner, to keep myself from thinking and feeling all of the above.

Has your pdoc suggested testing for depression? Can't hurt. Of course, I've also heard that frustration and failures due to ADHD can lead to depression, too. I don't think that's all there is to it in my case, but how would one ever know, when it all started at age 3 or 4 :confused:. In my case, I don't know which came first. Guess it doesn't really matter.

r2d2
02-17-08, 06:32 AM
Here are the negative symptoms that I do experience daily:

-irritability
-instability (I can be fine one moment, then some small thing will ruin my day)
-lack of motivation
-attitude of "what's the point"
-very low self-esteem
-much self-criticism
-lots of guilty feelings
-very little hope for change, helpless feeling
-I don't go out or do things that might be fun, it's just not worth the effort.
-I don't set goals or consider the future (because I just don't even want to think about that)
-I must have my mind occupied with something at all times, usually working in a work-a-holic manner, to keep myself from thinking and feeling all of the above.

WOW! 10/11...you just summed me up! :cool:

QueensU_girl
02-17-08, 10:13 AM
There tend to be somatic changes as well: e.g. often there will be early morning wakenings (waking up regularly several hours earlier than usual), energy changes (some even have psychomotor slowing).

What does your Doctor say?

What in your environment (changeable influences) can be altered? OFten this can keep us 'stuck'. (e.g. bad job, bad rel'ps, negative influences, same old setting, not enough exercise, poor diet, etc.)

It is important to do excitatative, stimulating things to fight depression.