View Full Version : How does dyslexia effect music reading?

bandie08
02-01-08, 12:21 PM
this is related to dyslexia and trumpet fingerings but i was wondering How does dyslexia effect peoples ability to sight read music? I have always had trouble sight reading expecially in auditions. I get really confused with intervals in music theory expecially if its bass clef. I also think im tone deaf because I play a G and people say im playing a high middle C Its all so confusing. I can't even tell if im sharp or flat??? I love band but I hate dyslexia.

ah09087
02-02-08, 03:51 PM
yup. it's just like reading another language. you have to translate then read and hope it comes out right. I can't sight read either

Mary
02-12-08, 01:05 PM
Bandie... I responded to you in another post about your dyslexia. But will answer here too...check out, Irlen Syndrome.... it suggests using plastic overlays and colored lenses for glasses.. to help with dyslexia. It helped my 3 older daughters all through school.

dormammau2008
02-05-09, 03:14 PM
i dono ive looked at music like that but would need some with who knows it to techer meee to do it better i might look that later in the yr dorm

meadd823
02-07-09, 07:07 AM
How does dyslexia effect peoples ability to sight read music?

BIG TIME !!!!

I had a lot of problems reading music - I used to have to play really slow at first then after once or twice I would know inside my head what the music was to sound like so I could pay by sound - I memorized via sound very rapidly because music reading is next to impossible

rek101
10-14-12, 04:18 AM
Huge problem for site reading. For me, I'd have to pretty much memorize the peace. I'd do great on anything I had time to prepare; horrible on anything I had to site read.

Dmitri
10-15-12, 04:00 PM
Idk about you but its virtually impossible for me to read sheet music. I just listen to it played once then try to learn it by ear, using sheet music as a point of reference

dormammau2008
05-17-15, 11:51 PM
I find reading brail much easier and krypton is much easier as well anyone else find photo grath types of words Eyster?????? Or just as hard?��

meadd823
05-24-15, 02:39 PM
Dorm sense I have never tried to read brail. I do not know what krypton is I have no answer .... I spend a lot of my day typing theses day so I carry my phone around because I have one of those speech to text programs on it......so far no one had said any thing to me. I am almost as fast with my entries as those nurses who can spell.