View Full Version : how do i know if i have ADD/ADHD?

anne droid
02-04-08, 12:57 AM
i think i have it...i've looked at the syptoms and i have taken multiple online tests which all suggest i might have it, and should get it checked out.

but my mom doesn't believe me.
no one does.

it's so frustrating.
i wish i could focus like my sister does, she gets all of her homework in like an hour or two, and i spend the whole evening trying to do one assignment.

i hate forgetting about things i should have remembered but i can't help it.

what should i do?

Crimsoneer
02-04-08, 10:52 AM
Your school can probably get you tested. I was tested earlier this year by my college psych department, and I didn't tell anybody I was getting tested until it came out positive so as to not sound like somebody who just wanted meds and special treatment. Ends up my parents we're very understanding in the end though.

QueensU_girl
02-04-08, 12:27 PM
Talk to your Guidance Office?

Many kids are missed during childhood, esp. the "Inattentives" [b/c we have no behavioural problems].

dexter05
02-05-08, 08:26 PM
Also if you just happen to be at the doctors (for a routine physical) you could bring it up with your doctor. Your doctor while probably wouldn't diagnose you, he would be able to tell you if its something you should look into more. Your doctor could also would also help talk to your mom, if he think there is something that needs to be looked at.

DontFeedThisOne
03-07-08, 08:57 PM
Sorry I cant help much - in pretty much the same situation: an almost definate ADDer but because I'm not disruptive I dont show up on the radar, so to speak.QueensU_girl and dexter both make good points - try those if you can. If you're not exactly an excellent speaker - like me I dont exactly exude charisma - definately try writing down the traits that you think hinder you, and note examples if possible (I used to have a list but I lost it *eyeroll*). That will probably help you explain yourself better and there may be a better chance of people listening and taking you seriously.I hope you manage to get the help you want :)